• Niagara Township, Plan B

      Quebec : Surveyor Generals Office, 1787?
      Historical map showing land ownership in Niagara Township. The map is broken down into lots and each lot is labelled with lot and concession numbers as well as the name of the individual that owns each piece of land. The Niagara River is shown where it meets Lake Ontario. Shown to the south of Lake Ontario is a large section of land that is labelled: “Land Reserved for the Crown.” A handwritten note in the bottom left corner of the map reads: “With M 25 State Papers Shubel Weldon papers about 1784 or earlier.”
    • Niagara, 1850

      R.I. Pilkington; Henry Vavasour (1850)
      Historic map of Niagara. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Sketch of the Military Reserves extending from Chippewa to the debouché of the Niagara River into Lake Ontario, distinguishing in yellow such part of “the One Chain” in width on the top of the bank, as may be surrendered to the Provincial Government: the remainder tinted red being actually required for purposes of defense. As called for by the Military Secretary’s letter, dated 16th, May 1850.” Signed; R.I. Pilkington and Henry Vavasour. North is oriented to the right where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. Both the British and the American sides of the river are shown. Niagara and Stamford are divided into lots, some of which are numbered. At the mouth of the river Fort Mississagua and Butlers Barracks are shown on the British side as well as Fort Niagara on the American Side. Noted is the location for a proposed suspension bridge from Queenston to Lewiston. Another suspension bridge is marked closer to Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls, Goat Island, Navy Island and Grand Island are shown at the south end of the Niagara River. The map is stamped by the Canadian Commanding Royal Engineer’s Office.
    • Niagara, Sketch shewing the relative position of Forts Mississauga & Niagara

      Charles Walkem (Montreal, Que., 1853)
      Historic map showing the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. A dotted line running through the river shows the “Boundary between Canada & United States”. On the Canadian side of the river a small portion of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) is shown, from Ricardo Street to the shore. King Street and a few unmarked buildings are present. Further north-west is Fort Mississagua (sic). On the American side of the river Fort Niagara is shown. Mile notations are handwritten on the map within the river. The map was signed by the author in 1853. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Niagara. 1937

      Canada. Dept of National Defence (1937)
      Scale 1:25,000 "No. 507"--bottom left margin. Relief shown by contours. Digital reproduction of map (63 x 79 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Relief shown by contours. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 S35 1937 C35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 1. Sketch of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called The Mountain and on which it is proposed to construct The New Fortress.

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec, 1827)
      Historic map showing a portion of Niagara with vast ridges of elevation. This map provides unique notations in relation to the land features including forest, mountainous areas, and ravines. Relief is shown with hachures and shading and north is oriented to the right. Based on other maps (NMC-22144) the darker, horseshoe shaped section of mountain was known as “The Wellington Heights”. At the south-eastern tip of this range is a rounded area that leads to a longer line of elevation and forest. This area was known as “The Mountain”. Drawn within Wellington Heights is a plan for a new military fort. Paterson’s Farm and craters are labelled in this area. Farms, roads, school houses, and springs are indicated on the map. Map bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications and is signed by the author: "Royal Engineers Office. Quebec 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Comg. R. Engineers. Canada." "BB46"--in top right corner.
    • No. 13 Fort Erie, Plan of the Military Reserve - Content called 1000 acres

      Henry Vavasour; R. I. Pilkington; J. G. Kelly (1851)
      Historic map showing a portion of Bertie Township and the Military Reserve at Fort Erie. North is oriented to the top. Lake Erie is shown at south as well as the mouth of the Niagara River. Lots and concessions are shown in Bertie Township, some of which are numbered. The Ruins of Fort Erie and Snake Hill are shown along the bank of the Niagara River. A Mill is also shown near Waterloo. Black Rock Pier extends from the southern tip of Squaw Island towards Lake Erie. On the American side of the river, to the east, locations of military fort sites, Erie Canal, railways, a light house and a sea wall are labelled. Buffalo & Black Rock Harbour is on the east side of Black Rock Pier. Map is signed by authors: “Henry Vavasour, Col. Com'g Rl. Engineers, Canada, 26 October, 1850. R.I. Pilkington, Draftsman." Text in the bottom right corner reads: “Drawn in Lithogy by J. G. Kelly and printed at the Lithog. Establishment Quarter Master Generals Department, Horse Guards. February 1851.”
    • No. 16 Queenston. Plan of the Military Reserve, total content called 175 Acres.

      Henry Vavasour; R. I. Pilkington; J. G. Kelly (1851)
      Historic map showing a military reserve at Queenston adjacent to the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom right. A numerical index identifies select buildings. There is also a notation which provides an explanation regarding liner and colour markings. This map contains various notable locations including: Hamilton’s Wharf, wharf built by Mr. Macklem, a church in ruins, and Brock’s Monument. It also identifies the location where “Sir I. Brock fell 13th Oct. 1812”. Also shown is the; “Encroachment by the Erie and Ontario Railway Company”. A section of land adjacent to that owned by the railway company contains the following notation: “License of occupation to James Secord but actually occupied by the Hamilton Estate.” Relief is shown by hachures.
    • No. 18. Short Hills. Plan of the Ordnance Property Content called 200 A.

      Henry Vavasour; T. K. King (1851)
      Historical map showing the extent of property purchased in 1827 as a site for a fortress. North is oriented to the top. Text below the title reads: “This Property was purchased from Jacb. Wills in 1827 as a site for a Fortress.” The plan is divided into sections that have been cleared or not cleared and identifies the owners of the surrounding farms. Soil types and land clearances are noted. Land that had not been cleared is shaded. Roads are shown but not labelled with the exception of 6th Concession Road at west. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • No. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called the Mountain shewing those lots of grants of land in the 5th, 6th, & 7th concessions of the Township of Pelham in the County of Lincoln which are near the site of the new fortress as proposed in the report of M. General Sir James Carmichael-Smyth

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847.; Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec, 1827)
      Historic map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. Beginning at the east side of the map is the notation: “4 Miles to Deep cut Welland Canal”. A large section of relief, indicated with hachures is labelled “The Wellington Heights”. This area appears to be chiefly chestnut tree forests. Near Wellington Heights is King George’s Battery, Mt. Niagara and Chestnut Ridge. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. "Rl. Engineers Office. Quebec, 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Coun. (?) Rl. Engineers, Canada” is written in the bottom left corner and "R.H. Bonnycastle, Capt. Royal Engineers" is written in the bottom right margin.
    • No. 3. Plan of comparison of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara on which it is proposed to erect a fortress

      R. H. Bonnycastle; E. W. Durnford (Quebec, 1827)
      Historical map of Short Hills showing relief features and outline of proposed fortressDigital reproduction of map ( 21 x 26 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22145 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 6 Plan of, Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec : Royal Engineers Office, 1817-1818)
      Reproduction of map showing military forts located in the now Niagara-on-the-Lake, dated May 2nd, 1817. Map shows land masses on either side of the Niagara River, adjacent to Lake Ontario. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. The location of two towers, outbuildings and a magazine are specified. Fort George can be seen at the edge of the Niagara River with the arrangement of the fort walls, out buildings, and Navy Hall detailed. Butlers Barracks is also shown at the centre of the Niagara land mass, adjacent to a commons quarters and an Indian Council House. A red line cuts across the west end indicating the “Boundary of Military”. Another red dashed line indicates a “New Proposed military Reserve a,b,c,d&e”. Various roads, forests, farms, buildings, and a church are artistically rendered as well as topographical relief details using hachures, lines and illustrations. The map is stamped with a red seal: “Inspector General of Fortifications”. Hand written notations serve as a legend located above the title of the map.
    • No. 8. Sketch of the Isthmus or Belt of Niagara shewing the situation of the New Fortress

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec (Province) : Royal Engineer's Office,, 1827)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Peninsula and depicts the site for a proposed fortress / military establishment at the Short Hills, on top of the escarpment in Pelham Township. North is oriented to the top towards Lake Ontario and the Niagara River and the United States is shown to the east. Boundaries, hydrological features, “Indian Lands” and towns are shown. The ridge of the Niagara Escarpment is labelled as the “Great Ridge” and height measurements are indicated as being from 4 to 500 feet. The route of the First Welland Canal is shown before the extension to Gravelly Bay, as well as part of the Feeder Canal before its completion, and other proposed routes for canals to Lake Ontario. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854. (Quebec, 1810)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
    • No. V, Upper Canada Plan of Niagara

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)
      Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
    • No.17. Niagara. Plan of the Military Reserve, total of content called 479 acres

      Henry Vavasour; R. I. Pilkington; J. G. Kelly (1851)
      Historic map showing the Village of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Explanatory text below the title reads: “The Yellow and Green shade shews the extent of ground given to the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company by Act of Parliament passed 16th March 1831. The Green having always remained in possession of the Ordnance.” The Niagara River is shown at east. Fort Mississauga, the Ruins of Fort George and the layout of (the new) Fort George are shown. An “Old Guard House” is indicated adjacent to land and buildings which are labelled: “Royal Engr. Premises”. Main streets are shown and labelled. Land granted to religious organizations are noted as is the location of the town market. Other granted portions of land are indicated. Further south is Butlers Barracks, Commandants Quarters and a hospital. The map is signed by R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman. Relief is shown by hachures and shading.
    • Ontario : Hamilton sheet : Lincoln and Welland and portions of Halton, Wentworth and Haldimand Counties

      Canada. Energy, Mines and Resources Canada; White, James, 1863-1928. (1905)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, boundary and electoral district.Scale 1:250,000Map date: 1905Digital reproduction of map (69 x 52 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1905 C35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario Erie and Welland Canals.1850

      unknown (1850)
      Scale [ca. 1:405,737] Digital reproduction of map (14 x 24 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1850 O58 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Great Britain. War Office. (1908)
      Historical map showing physical, political and cultural features, legend.Scale 1:126,720Relief shown by contours.Map date: 1908Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection.Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1908 O55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Canada. Dept. of National Defence (1932)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula (topo 1:126k)

      Canada. Dept of National Defense. (1904)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.