• Map of the Niagara District showing the various cuts proposed for the Welland Canal, with a table of distances

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847. (1837)
      Historic map of the Niagara District showing Lake Ontario in the north and Lake Erie in the south and the Niagara River in the east. The First and Second Welland Canals are shown complete with Feeder Canal and an extension to Port Colborne. The map also shows the proposed cut to Port Maitland from the Feeder Canal, as well as rivers, creeks, and settlements. All of the town boundaries are shown and labelled. The escarpment is shown with hachures. The bottom left corner of the map has a diagram titled: “the Canal according to the present Levels.” and shows a scale of miles. The top right corner has a table of distances, indicating the distance to specific places via the Welland Canal and Feeder Canal.
    • Map of the Niagara, Gore, and Wellington Districts (including also the Southern Front of the Home District,) Canada.

      C. Rankin; Hall & Mooney (Toronto, Ont., 1845)
      Historic map “compiled from the township plans in the Surveyor Genl’s office”, completed in June, 1845. The map shows a section of the region in Southern Ontario known today as the Golden Horseshoe, which sits to the west of Lake Ontario, stretching south to Lake Erie. Niagara, Gore and Wellington districts are shown. Town and city boundaries are mapped with survey grids. Lots and concessions are labelled with numbers. Hydrological features and roads are also shown. Relief is shown by shading. A note at the left side of the map describes the Welland Canal, principal roads, villages other than those marked on the map and explains irregularly divided parcels of land which have not numbered.
    • Map of the proposed canal through the District of Niagara and Gore to form a junction of Lakes Erie and Ontario by the Grand River

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1823?)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Peninsula with proposed routes of the First Welland Canal. Routes go to Niagara River, Hamilton and various places along the Grand River. Some main roads, towns, rivers and creeks shown.Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by shading.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 19506 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the road from Queenston to Sixteen Mile Creek

      Francis Hall (1838)
      Note: Title used in accompanying material received with CD-ROM: [Map of the road running from Queenston to St. Davids and St. Catharines and through to Sixteen Mile Creek.]
    • Map of the Town of Merritton. 1900?

      Marten, Harold (Harold Marten, 1900)
      Map showing streets, boundaries, railroads, the 2nd Welland Canal with its locks, weirs and ponds.
    • Map of the town of St. Catharines, Canada West

      Marcus Smith, 1815-1904. ([S.l.] : Marcus Smith,, 1852)
      Historical map of the Town of St. Catharines, Canada West, 1852. Below the title is a paragraph describing St. Catharines, the importance of the Welland Canal, historical facts about its engineering and the vessels that passed through it at that time. The section of St. Catharines shown on the map includes St. Thomas’ Ward and St. Georges Ward. The first and second Welland Canals as well as locks 3-6 are shown. 12 Mile Creek and Dicks Creek are visible, both of which connect to the Welland Canal. Streets are labelled and lots are labelled with the name of the land owner. Some lots have visible lot numbers as well as buildings. Of importance are sections of land labelled as being owned by some of the prominent founding citizens of St. Catharines, including: Honourable William H. Merritt, Lewis Shikaluna [sic], Thomas R. Merritt, James R. Benson, Calvin Phelps, Elias S. Adams, Jacob Hainer, and J. P. Merritt. Lots and concessions are labelled without land owners indicated on the parcels of land surrounding the more populated section of St. Catharines. Road allowances are labelled at the north, south and west sides of the town. The Great Western Railway is shown at the south-west corner. A compass rose at the right side of the map indicates north. Text at the bottom left of the map indicates that it was lithographed at: “A. Kollner’s Lithc. Establt. Phila.” Relief is shown by hachures and landform drawings.
    • Map of the Township of Grantham, 1897

      Compiled by C. E. Ingersoll (1897)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, landowner names, political subdivision numbers, the 'old welland canal' (First and Second Welland Canals) and the "new canal' (Third Welland Canal).Compiled by C.E. Ingersoll, C.E.Relief shown by hachures.Digital reproduction of map #1984.94.272 in the St.Catharines Museum, Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the Village of Cayuga

      Miles and Company, Toronto.
      Historical map showing streets, railroads, lot and concession numbers, ward boundaries and county boundaries. Scale 10 chains to an inch. Map date: 1879. Map is page 21 of the Atlas of the province of Ontario by counties / published by Miles and Company, Toronto. Digital reproduction of map (23 x 29 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 S35 1879 M55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. (verso map)
    • Map of the Villages of Niagara Falls, & Niagara City, New York : The Village of Elgin and the City of the Falls, Canada West

      Boston : J.H. Hufford's Lith., 1854?
      Historical map showing Niagara Falls, New York located to the east of the Niagara River and Canada West (now Ontario), to the west of the Niagara River. A dotted line runs through the centre of the Niagara River indicating the “National Boundary”. On the Canadian side of the river, the “City of the Falls”, current City of Niagara Falls, and Elgin are shown with main streets labelled as well as ownership of lots noted be last name. Streets and subdivisions are shown as well as. The Canadian and American Falls are labelled along with Goat Island and Bath Islands, which sit at the top of the falls in the river. The Erie and Ontario Rail Road is also indicated, running from the United States, over a bridge crossing the Niagara river and continuing north through Niagara Falls. Relief of the Niagara Gorge and Niagara Escarpment are shown with hachures and shading.
    • Map of Welland City, the property of the Welland Canal Loan Company

      J. Ellis (Toronto : J. Ellis, 1855)
      Historic map of Welland City, present day Merritton, Ontario, a community within the City of St. Catharines. Text describing the map reads as follows: “This Plot contains about 400 acres of land on the Welland Canal, at the Mountain descent, between Lakes Erie and Ontario, a Plan of which is exhibited in the Office of the Proprietors.” Text goes on to describe the types of industries and business that could be erected in that area and make use of the Welland Canal and power generated by Niagara Falls. The second Welland Canal is shown from locks 11-21. The map details plots of land separated into lots and concessions and labelled by number, as well as road and transportation routes including road allowances and the Great Western Railway. There is also an inset map of the Niagara District between Lakes Ontario and Erie.
    • Member Municipalities in the Proposed Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

      Ontario. Dept. of Planning and Development. ([Toronto, Ont.] : Dept. of Planning and Development, 1955?)
      Historic map of the Niagara Peninsula showing Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority (NPCA) boundary features. Boundary lines are marked with red hachures. Lake Ontario is shown in the north, Lake Erie in the south and the United in the east. Below the title is a list of the cities, towns, villages and townships who would be members of the NPCA. The map also shows creeks, railways, the “Old Welland Canal” and the “New Welland Canal”.
    • Member municipalities in the proposed Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

      Ontario. Dept. of Planning and Development. Ontario. Conservation Branch (1955)
      Historical map of the Niagara Peninsula showing Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority boundary features, townships, villages, towns and cities.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Merritton - Thorold Section. First and Second Welland Canals. 1829-1845

      St. Johns Outdoor Studies Centre, Niagara South Board of Education (Niagara South Board of Education, 1829-1845)
      Map showing the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals at Merritton with street names, locks and canal features.
    • Military Reserve at Queens Town, Niagara

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830; Henry Lizars; S. P. (Samuel Proundfoot) Hurd, b. 1793; Thomas George William Eaststaff, 1772-1854 (Toronto : Surveyor General's Office, 1835)
      Historic plan showing proposed alterations to the land located at the west side of the Niagara River. North is oriented to the top. Descriptive text above the title outlines the purpose of this plan: “Plan shewing the Ground reserved for Government at the Landing place on the West side of the Niagara River; and the proposed situation for Wharf, Stores & ca.” Rods and proposed roads are shown as are land boundaries. Some buildings are shown. Various notations about proposed alterations / additions are present.
    • Military Sketch of part of the Shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Port Dalhousie

      Henry Malet; R. H.(Richard Hugh) Stotherd, ,1828-1895. (1863)
      Historic map showing land and shore from St. Catharines to Hamilton along Lake Ontario, with north oriented to the bottom. A legend next to the title outlines details of the map. Shown on the map are sections of cleared land and wooded land as well as waterways such as creeks and the Welland Canal. Also shown on the map are marsh grounds, churches and meeting houses, stone or brick houses, wooden houses, forges, the Great Western Railway, and roadways. A notation on the map reads: “The Country East of 20 Mile Creek is from a sketch by Captain Stoutherd RE. made in 1862.” The map is signed: “Henry Malet, Captain & Lt. Colonel, 1st Batta. Green (?) Guards 1863.” The Niagara Escarpment is shown in dark black shading. Relief is also shown by shading.
    • Montebello Park, St. Catharines, Ont.

      Frederick Law Olmsted (1887)
      Historic map showing Frederick Law Olmsted’s design for Montebello Park in St. Catharines, the first public park in the city’s downtown. The park is bordered by Ontario Street, Lake Street, Queen Street and Midland Street. A pavilion is shown near the centre of the park with pathways leading to it from each street. A baseball diamond is shown at the north corner of the park and tennis courts at the south corner. Trees line the streets and pathways. Handwritten dates and notations are visible.
    • The new Master map, City of St. Catharines: Including Town of Thorold and Thorold Township

      Master Advertising Co. (Master Advertising Co., 1968)
      Map showing streets, cultural, tourist and hydrological features and a legend. Includes streets, points of interest and miscellaneous information plus indexes.
    • Niagara - 1853

      R. I. Pilkington (1853)
      Historic map showing military land and reserves at Fort George in Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Original explanatory text below the title “NIAGARA” had been scratched out, below which is further explanatory text, which reads as follows: “The portion tinted Red, containing about 96 Acres to be retained by the Ordnance. The portion edged Vermilion containing about 117 Acres is proposed to be given up for the settlement of the Pensioners, but the Southern boundaries being still in dispute, only the portion tinted yellow can at present be handed over to Lt. Col. Tullock to be settled at his discretion – The portion tinted Purple may be used by the Pensioners for Pasturage only, the limit may extend further to the N.E. when the boundary is settled with the Dock Co.- “, signed R. Pilkington Draftsman. The map bears the stamp of the Office of the Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Niagara [Township]. 1789

      Jones, Augustus (Augustus Jones, 1789)
      Map showing land ownership, concession and lot numbers. Includes additional numbers and comments printed or written in the margin and in the river and lake sections.
    • Niagara Falls showing electric power developments

      Historical map showing international boundaries, hydrological features, streets, railroads, Electrical Development Company power houses, Ontario Power Company generating and distributing stations, Niagara Falls Power & Manufactoring Company power houses.Relief shown by hachures.Digital image provided by the University of Toronto Map and Library.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.