• A survey of the Grand River, from the north west line, to the forks about twenty miles

      Augustus Jones (1807)
      Historical map showing survey lines and the river and creeks.
    • A Survey of the River Niagara made by order of The Right Honorable The Lords Commissioners of the admiralty in the year 1817 under the direction of Captain William Fitzwilliam Owen. R.N.

      William Fitzwilliam Owen
      Historical map of the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. Shows forts, villages, towns, buildings, islands. Digital reproduction of map (22 1/2 x 39 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Relief shown by shading and hachures. Depths shown by soundings throughout the river. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 21729 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ackermann’s Authentic Plan of Navy Island, the Village of Chippewa, and the Niagara River with the Principal Objects of Interest in the Vicinity of the Seat of War in Upper Canada.

      R. Ackermann. (London : R. Ackerman, 1838)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada and New York, divided by the Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. New York sits to the east of the river and Upper Canada to the West. The first Welland Canal is shown west of the River beginning at Port Dalhousie and ending in Crowland. Points of significance to the American-British War are noted on the map, including: Fort Niagara, Fort George, Brock’s Monument, Military Roads, Chippewa, Beaverdams and Fort Erie. Possessions of the British and of the United States are indicated with grey shading. Place names, township boundaries, roadways and hydrological features are labelled. Other significant geographical sites and features are noted, such as: Niagara Falls, the Whirlpool, Navy Island, and Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with hachures. A notation at the bottom of the map reads: “London, published 6th Feby 1838, by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St.”
    • Areal geology, New York - Ontario, Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. (U.S. Geological Survey, 1913)
      Historical map showing geological, road, transportation and hydrological features, buildings.Digital reproduction of map (118 x 44 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by contours and spot heightsGeoreferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ascent at Merritton: the First and Second Welland Canals climbing the Niagara Escarpment. 1829-1845

      St. Johns Outdoor Studies Centre, Niagara South Board of Education (Niagara South Board of Education, 1829)
      Map showing the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals at Merritton with street names, locks and canal features.
    • Bridgewater Mills, 1807

      1807
      Historic map showing a portion of the Niagara River and a section of land near the Fort Erie reserve on the British side of the river. Oriented with north to the right, as indicated by a compass arrow. Eddy and current speeds are noted on the Niagara River. Old and new ferry routes are shown from Black Rock in the United States across the river to the British side are shown. Also indicated on the British side are handwritten points of interest along the river, including various inn’s, stores, and dwellings. Mills, a dam and an old mill race are labelled. The entrance to Lake Erie is labelled to the south.
    • [Buildings of downtown St. Catharines]

      Author, Unknown (unknown, 1939)
      Map showing downtown area street names and buildings,use of the buildings' structure and condition.
    • Canada, Niagara Verification Plan

      Surveyed by F. F. Passmore; Verified by Berdoe A. Wilkinson and; Nelson Walker (1853)
      Historic map showing of the Township of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented at the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Shewing the Boundaries as marked on the ground, of the Military Reserves belonging to the Ordnance, in the Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. F.F. Passmore-Prov’l Land Surveyor, between the months of February & June 1852, & verified by Lieu’t Berdoe A. Wilkinson, Rl. Eng’rs, & Mr. Nelson Walker, Surv’r & Dfts. Rl. Engin’r Dept.” Signatures of Surveyors date the map in 1853. Below the title text is a table of contents, reference legend and scale. Further notations are made at various points on the map. The map shows boundaries, streets, lots and concessions labelled by numbers or with the owner’s name. Some are granted lots, labelled with the grantees name. The Mississagua (sic) reserve and Fort Mississagua are shown adjacent to Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River. Further east is the Ruins of Fort George and a portion of land with buildings and a pond labelled: “Dock Company Land.” The southern section of the map shows Garrison Reserve land and Butlers Barracks. An inset plan shows details of Fort Mississagua at a scale of one chain to one inch. The top left corner of the map includes notations about the map and historical information about Fort George and the battle during the War of 1812 where Sir Isaac Brock fell. Further notations detail barrack accommodations at Niagara.
    • Canada, Queenston

      William Hawkins, 1807-1868. (1854)
      Historic map showing the Village of Queenston, which sits on the west bank of the Niagara River within the County of Lincoln, Township of Niagara. Subtitle text reads as follows: “Plan shewing the Boundaries as marked, on the ground, of the Military Reserve belonging to the Ordnance, at the Village of Queenston, Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. William Hawkins, Provincial Land Surveyor, in the months of Decr, 1853 & Jany and February 1854.” Below this text is a table of contents, reference table, scale charts and a textual description of the map. North is oriented to the right.
    • Catlin’s Survey & Model of NIAGARA in the year 1827

      Catlin, George, 1796-1872; G. J. Poore and Co lighogr L'pool 1827. (1827)
      Historic map showing a portion of the Niagara River at Niagara Falls. North is oriented to the bottom Upper Canada (present day Ontario) is shown to the west of the river and the State of New York at the east. A road to Buffalo and Chippewa is shown at the southernmost portion of the map. Text within the river, above Horse Shoe Falls, reads: “Descent of Water in the RAPIDS.” Also included are distances across the river and notes on the heights and depths of the two falls. Transportation routes, ferry routes, place names, islands, forest and some buildings are indicated. At the north-west corner, adjacent to Lundy’s Lane is a notation related to the War of 1812: “Battle of Bridgewater, July 20th, 1814”.
    • Chart of Lake Ontario

      Edward M. Hodder; W. F. W. Owen, 1774-1857; Lieut. William Herbert Fitz; A. Ford; W. C. Chewett & Co. (Toronto, On. : W. C. Chewett & Co.,, 1863)
      Historic map showing hydrological features of Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the top of the page. Sub-title text reads as follows: “Compiled from Surveys made by Capt. Owen & Lieut. Herbert, R.N. and Capt. A. Ford, U.S.N. with the Harbours and Ports of the Lake Surveyed by Edward M. Hodder, Esqre M.D. Commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.” Light houses are marked and a legend differentiates between lights that are white, red or revolving. Notations are made along the shore indicating geological materials of the water bed, such as: clay, stones, smooth rock, flat rock, and shoal. Islands, bays and points are also labelled. The Grand Trunk Railway runs along the north side of the lake and the Watertown and Rome Railway runs from north to south along the east side of the lake.
    • City of St. Catharines : census tracts 1966

      1966
      Historical map showing numbered census tract boundaries. Map date: 1966 Digital reproduction of map in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • City of St. Catharines Ontario

      Graphic Publishers (Canada) (1952)
      Historical map showing boundary, transportation and cultural features, index to street names and places of interest, legend.Scale [ca. 1:13,593]Map date: [1952]Digital reproduction of map (52 x 70 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 S35 1952 G73 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • City of St. Catharines residential density

      S. Nagel (1961)
      Historical map showing residential density (population per net acre), roads, transportation and hydrological features. Scale: 1000 feet = 1 inch. Drawn by S. Nagel. Digital reproduction of map (88 x 95 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 S35 G44 1961 S35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Copy of Part of P.L.S. Kirkpatrick’s Plan of Grimsby (Marked “B 8”)

      Canada. Crown Lands Dept.; George Brownly Kirkpatrick (Toronto : Crown Lands Dept.,, 1858)
      Historic plan showing a portion of the town of Grimsby showing lots and concessions. Lots are labelled by number and concession survey lines are labelled with the surveyors’ names. Plan is signed by Andrew Russell, Assist. Commissioner indicating it is a “certified true copy”.
    • (Copy) of part of Map showing the Welland Canal between Locks 24 & 25 as also part of the Village of Thorold.

      Edward Gardiner
      Historical map of the Welland Canal, locks 24 and 25, showing streets (Front St., Mills St., Albert St.), landowner names, measurement and the canal lock features. Scale: 1 inch to 50 feet. Digital reproduction of map (10 x 21 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168608 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • County of Haldimand, Ontario

      Miles and Company, Toronto. (1877)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, place names, railroads, ward boundaries and county boundaries. Scale 2 1/2 miles per inch.Map date: 1879. Map is page 21 of the Atlas of the province of Ontario by counties / published by Miles and Company, Toronto. Digital reproduction of map (25 x 40 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 S35 1879 M55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. (verso map)
    • County of Lincoln : County seat - St. Catharines

      Dept. of Highways, Ontario. (1964)
      Historical map showing boundaries, major roads, lot and concession numbers, railways and populated areas. Map date: Drawn 1963, Revised 1964 Digital reproduction of map (58 x 100 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 S68 Lincoln, by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • County of Welland : County seat - Welland

      Dept. of Highways, Ontario. (1964)
      Historical map showing boundaries, roads, populated places, railways, lots and concessions. Map date: Drawn 1963, Revised 1964. Digital reproduction of map (69 x 96 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 S68 Welland by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • County of Welland. 1968

      Welland County Engineer (Welland County Engineer, 1968)
      Map showing road jurisdiction, boundaries, populated area, lots and concessions, legend.