Browsing Historical Maps of Niagara by Title
Now showing items 263-265 of 265
Welland Canal. Plan of the Harbor at ChippewaHistoric map showing the First and Second Welland Canal routes where the Chippewa River enters the Niagara River. Text below the title reads: ‘Shewing its Condition in May 1844 The improvements executed during that season and those which will hereafter be required to render the harbor safe and easy of access.” One route of the Welland Canal shown on the map is labelled: “Chippewa Cut”. Adjacent to the Chippewa Cut is a line labelled: “Line of proposed improvement.” Two notations relevant to the improvements of the canal are as follows: “The Blue Line shows the work executed during the season of 1844. The Red Line shows the future improvements required.” The location of an “Old Fort” is shown on Hog Island. Extending into the Niagara river from Hog Island is a formation labelled: “Mould formed by materials Excavated from Cut.” A “Line of Piles” is shown extending from the Niagara River, through the Chippewa Cut to the Chippewa river at the location of proposed piers. A barracks is shown on the land adjacent to the Chippewa River. Depths shown by soundings can be seen in the Chippewa River. There is a lengthy description of the map at the right side of the map map which is signed by S. Powers.
[Welland Canal. Plan showing part of Welland Canal from Port Dalhousie to Thorold]1912?Historical map of the Third Welland Canal showing the locks, bridges, railroads, place names. Blueprint. Map date: [1912?] "Stamped on reverse: Dept. of Railways & Canals, File No. 9801. Date assigned from related maps with the same File No. and dated 1912" -- LAC description. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168606 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
Welland Ship Canal – General Plan of Ship CanalHistoric map showing the First, Second and Third Welland Canal routes and the route of the “future” Fourth Welland Canal. Text below the titled indicates the map was “made from Photostat reproductions of general plans of sections, the militia map, etc.” North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. Two different entrances to the Welland Canal routes are shown at Port Weller and Port Dalhousie and the canal routes end in the south at Port Colborne. County and township boundaries are shown, cities and towns are labelled. Lots, concessions, roads, railways and industrial buildings and churches are also shown. Some lots are marked by the land owners name. Above the map is a cross section or profile of the Welland Ship Canal indicating elevation changes between Lakes Erie and Ontario. Text indicates that the map was owned by the “Office of Engineer in Charge, St. Catharines. Ont.” Relief is shown by contours and hachures.