• The Niagara Frontier and Welland Canal

      R. H.(Richard Hugh) Stotherd, 1828-1895. Lieutenant Price, Royal Engineers (1862)
      Historic map showing “The Niagara Frontier”, situated south of Lake Ontario, north of Lake Erie and west of the United States. The Niagara River divides Canada and the United States. At the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario, Fort Mississagua (sic) in Canada and Fort Niagara in the U.S. can be seen. Further west along the shore of Lake Ontario, the town of Port Dalhousie is labelled. The Second Welland Canal can be seen extending from Port Dalhousie to Port Colborne. Fort Erie is shown at the mouth of the River at Lake Erie and is labelled: “Fort Erie (in Ruins)”. Other details on the map include towns, wooded areas, creeks, roads and railways. Some buildings are marked such as; inn’s, schools and churches. Relief is shown by shading.
    • The Niagara Peninsula. Ontario

      Geological Survey of Canada. ([Ottawa] : The Geological Survey of Canada, 1918)
      Historical map showing geological features, charts, illustrations, legend.
    • The Straits of Niagara Engraved for Darby’s Tour

      William Darby, 1775-1854.; W. Hooker ([New York : Kirk & Mercein,, 1819?)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada (the area of present day Niagara Falls and Queenston Heights). North is oriented to the right toward Lake Ontario, Lake Erie is shown at south. The American side of the river is shown on the east side of the Niagara River. The Niagara River is shown cutting through the land from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. Also shown are various other hydrological features on both sides of the river. Place names, streets and significant buildings are marked. Forested areas are noted and land condition notes are also found at various points on the map. Grand Isle is shown at the centre of the river with notations about its size and features. The locations of War of 1812 battle grounds are marked at various points of the map. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • The Welland power district. 1906

      Ontario Power Company (1906)
      Scale: 1 inch to 1 mile. Geographic coverage between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Sheet 3 of "Maps of power districts in Niagara Region" Digital reproduction of map (73 x 77 cm.) Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University
    • [Thorold / Merritton oblique aerial photographs. 1920]

      McCarthy Aero Service Limited, 1920
      Oblique aerial photograph showing the 2nd Welland Canal's Neptune Staircase (Locks 19-21 climbing the escarpment), looking west toward Merritton.
    • [Thorold oblique aerial photographs. 1920]

      McCarthy Aero Service Limited, 1920
      3 oblique aerial photographs showing views of the 1st and 2nd Welland Canal in Thorold.
    • Thorold, Ont. 1893 [Fire Insurance Plan]

      Goad, Charles E. (Chas E. Goad, 1887/1893)
      Map showing streets, street numbers, lot numbers, buildings, construction detail, parks, schools, churches, public and private buildings.
    • Topographic Map of the Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. ([Washington?] : U.S. Geological Survey,, 1913)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Gorge. North is oriented to the top. The Niagara River and Niagara Falls are shown with Canada to the west of the river and the United States to the east. The border line running through the centre of the river is indicated. Major roadways, transportation routes including railways, and hydrological features are shown. Buildings are also shown but not labelled, with the exception of some major buildings such as; schools, city hall’s, libraries, armouries and rail road stations. Relief is shown by contours and spot heights.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Allanburgh and Port Dalhousie shewing the position of the new Welland Canal, its locks, weirs, basins, and other works

      Thomas Monro; John Page, 1815-1890; Public Archives of Canada; Burland Lithographic Co. (Montreal : Burland Lithographic Co.,, 1879)
      Historical map showing routes of Second and Third Welland Canal, escarpment, ravines of creeks, rivers, weirs, supply basins, raceways, and position of locks on the third Canal, concession and lot numbers, landowners names, townships.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Allanburgh and Port Dalhousie shewing the position of the new Welland Canal, its locks, weirs, basins, and other works

      Monro, Thomas.; Montreal : Burland Lithographic Co., 1879. (1879)
      Historic map showing the routes of the Second and Third Welland Canal as well as supply basins, raceways, weirs and the position of the locks on the Third Canal. North is oriented to the right. “Sheet “C”” is typed at the head of the title. A notation below the title reads: “Reduced from Surveys made in 1870-1”. Also shown on the map are townships, the escarpment, ravines, creeks, and roads. Port Dalhousie is shown at Lake Ontario. The light house is labelled as is the harbor, Welland Raceway Terminus and the entrance lock to the Welland Canal. The Welland Railway line is shown going from Port Dalhousie, through St. Catharines to Allanburg. Concessions and lots are shown, some labelled with numbers and some with landowner’s names. Beaverdams Creek and a St. Catharines Water Works reservoir are shown south-west of St. Catharines. Relief is shown by shading. Handwritten on verso: "H2/410 - Welland Canal - 1879".
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monroe (1873?)
      Historic map showing a section of Niagara from Port Dalhousie to Thorold with north oriented toward the right. Text below the title reads: “Reduced from Plan of Surveys made in 1870-1”. Handwritten text below the scale, by the author, reads: "Thorold, 22 Aug. 1873. Thomas Monro." The map shows the Second and Third Welland Canals, beginning at the harbor in Port Dalhousie, travelling to Thorold. Also shown are main roads, creeks, ravines, concession and lot numbers. The Great Western Railway line runs from east to west and the Welland Railway from north to south. The Township of Grantham, St. Catharines, The Township of Stamford and the Township of Thorold are labelled. Handwritten markings in blue pencil are at multiple places along the canal. Handwritten on bottom right corner of map: “R 410 – Welland Canal – 1873 From Ms Div. Sept. 23/1960.” Stamp on verso: "Map Division, Aug 26 1969, Public Archives of Canada." And “New Welland Canal 440”. Handwritten on verso: 4/410 - New Welland Canal - 1873, Topo plan - C 93.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monro
      Historical map showing lines of the Second and Third Welland Canal from Thorold to Port Dalhousie harbour, line of escarpment, main roads, railways, creek ravines, lot and concession numbers, landowners names, townships. Map date: 1873. Digital reproduction of map LAC e011168609 in the Public Archives of Canada. Relief shown by shading Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Town of Niagara

      George Phillpotts (1817)
      Historical map showing lot boundaries and numbers, as well as land that is labelled; "reserve for works" at Mississauga Point. The map is oriented with north the bottom right, as indicated by an arrow. At the southern side of the lots is the Town of Niagara. To the east is a Military Reserve and to the north is Lake Ontario. At the west side of the land mass there is a water inlet labeled “1 mile pond”. A waterway is shown cutting through the lots leading east toward military reserve land. Text at the bottom right of the map reads: "Copy, York U.C. May 3rd 1817, copied from a plan in the Surveyor Genls Office Sigd Geo. Phillpotts Lt R.E." In the bottom left corner: “C.S. 114”.
    • Township No.2 Stamford

      [Augustus Jones] ([1797])
      Historic map showing the Township of Stamford (present day Niagara Falls), divided into lots. North is oriented to the right. The Niagara River and Niagara Falls are located at south. Chippewa Creek is borders the town to the east and leads to the Niagara River. Lots are labelled with the lot number and the landowners name. Text on the top left of the map reads: “Niagara Chain RESERVE” Papers – 1797 (or Earlier)”. "1797" is also written on the bottom left corner.
    • Township of Niagara, Lincoln County, June 1961

      ; Niagara Township Engineer; Erwin Blake (Niagara Township Engineer, 1961)
      Historical map showing streets, lot numbers, boundaries, cultural and hydrological features.
    • Township of Stamford

      H.R. Page & Co. (1876)
      Map showing lot numbers with landowners' names, roads, railroads, battle fields identified with symbol. Digital reproduction of map on page 56 of Illustrated historical atlas of the counties of Lincoln and Welland, Ont., Toronto : H.R. Page, 1876 Relief shown by hachures. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Trace of Chippewa Harbour

      Killaly, H. H. (1841)
      Historic map showing the mouth of Chippawa Creek (“Chippewa Cut”) at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the top and the Niagara River is shown at east. Hog Island, Old Fort, and River Chippewa are shown north of the Chippewa Cut. A line of piles is marked along the northern side of the creek. A barracks is marked north of the River Chippewa. At the south-eastern tip of Hog Island an extension or pier into the Niagara river is indicated with the following text: “Mould formed by materials excavated from cut” (the “cut” likely referring to the Welland Canal).
    • Tremaine's map of the Counties of Lincoln and Welland, Canada West

      George R. Tremaine; G. M. Tremain (Toronto : Geo. R. & G.M. Tremaine, 1862)
      Historic map showing the boundaries of Lincoln and Welland Counties. The subtitle reads: “Compiled and Drawn from Actual Surveys by the Publishers.” North is oriented to the top at Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is shown at sourth. Townships shown include: Grimsby, Clinton, Louth, Grantham, Niagara, Caistor, Gainsboro, Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Wainfleet, Crowland, Willoughby, Humberstone and Bertie. The towns are divided into lots and concessions. Lots are numbered or labelled with the name of the lot owner. Roads and railways are indicated as are waterways. The Welland Canal is also shown. Bordering the map are drawings of homes and buildings which are labelled with the owner’s name. There is also a list of subscribers for each town. A legend is available below the title.
    • Tunis' New Map of Niagara Falls and River, showing all the Prominent Points Adjacent. 1855

      W.E. Tunis (1855)
      Oriented with north to the bottom. Relief shown by hachures. Digital reproduction of folded map in "Tunis's topographical and pictorial guide to Niagara." Niagara Falls : W. E. Tunis, 1855, located in Brock University Archives and Special Collections call # SPCL F 127 N8 T9 1855. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Upper Canada

      Henry S. Tanner (1836)
      Historic map of Upper Canada (present day Ontario). The map shows boundaries, place names and major roads, along with hydrological features. Place names are reflective of the time period which this map was produced, 1836. The great lakes shown are: Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Lake Iroquois is also shown (present day Georgian Bay). Relief is shown by hachures.