• A survey of the Grand River, from the north west line, to the forks about twenty miles

      Augustus Jones (1807)
      Historical map showing survey lines and the river and creeks.
    • Plan of Survey from Chippewa to Bridgewater Mills, 1807

      1807?
      Historical map showing buildings and bearings.
    • Survey of St. Catharines previous to 1809

      H.R. Page (1809)
      Map date: 1809Includes illustration of building at 135 St. Paul Street and an advertisement for a Toronto lithographer.This map is a copy of p.58 of the 1876 edition of the Illustrated historical atlas of the Counties of Lincoln & Welland, and p.66 of the 1971 and 1984 reprints of the atlas.Digital reproduction of map (22 x 27 cm., on sheet 46 x 44 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection.Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 S35 G46 1809 H123 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. V, Upper Canada Plan of Niagara

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)
      Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
    • No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854. (Quebec, 1810)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
    • Grantham, Dist. of Niagara. 1811

      Ridout, Thomas (Thomas Ridout, 1811)
      Map showing lots and concession numbers with the names of land owners. Georeferenced and modified from negative version of G 3464 G73 G46 1811 G73 by Brock University Maps, Data & GIS.
    • Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier, shewing the communications from thence to the 15 mile Creek, July 1814.

      Phillip Hughes; G. A. Eliott (Montreal, Que., 1814)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Frontier from Fifteen Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. The map covers the northeast area of the Niagara Frontier between Niagara-on-the-Lake through to 15 Mile Creek with Lake Ontario to the north. The map shows roads and some houses which are labelled with the settler’s names. Also shown are military forts and locations of battles indicated with drawings of crossed swords and the date of the battle. Creeks are labelled and the escarpment is indicated with shading.
    • Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier

      G. A. Eliott (1814)
      Historic map showing the area from 15 Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. The escarpment is shown by shading. The map also shows roads, some houses which are labelled by the settler’s name, waterways, churches, mills, forts and battle sites. The Niagara River, Niagara Falls and Navy Island is shown to the east. Fort Niagara and Fort Schlosser are shown on the American side of the river and Fort George on the Canadian side.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      George Williams (Montreal, Qu. : Engineers Office,, 1814)
      Historic map showing military forts, landings, portage roads on both sides of Niagara River. North is oriented to the right. Buildings are shown at military forts and other locations along the river, however they are not labelled. Grand Island is a prominent feature on the southern portion of the plan. Niagara Falls and islands within the Niagara River are labelled. Relief is shown with hachures. The Plan is signed by its author.
    • Fort Erie as left by the Enemy

      Samuel Romilly (1814)
      This historical map of Fort Erie is noted to have been “enclosed in Romilly’s letter to Lieutenant General Drummond, dated Chippawa 10 Nov 1814”. (This notation is taken from Library and Archives Canada therefore it is possible that the letter itself is in their possession). Samuel Romilly’s title was Captain Royal Engineers. The letter describes the conditions of the fortifications after a battle (during the War of 1812). The map itself is dated 11 Nov 1814.
    • Sketch showing the situation of Fort Erie and position of forces for the attack by the British

      J. B. Glegg (1814)
      Historical map of Fort Erie showing the area from Snake Hill past the military Fort Erie and the British lines to the headquarters of Lieutenant General Drummond further north. North is oriented to the bottom and Lake Erie is shown to the south. The Niagara River is shown to the east. The Indian camp, camp and artillery park, picquets, trails, and fortifications by the British are depicted. There is some detail of the American border and its military defenses.
    • Plan of the Country round Fort Erie shewing the entrenchments etc. thrown up by the enemy in August 1814

      Philip Hughes (1814)
      Historic plan showing the military Fort Erie and surrounding forested area. North is oriented to the right. Lake Erie, although not labelled, is located east of Fort Erie. The military Fort Erie is shown with the two barracks in red ink. Multiple other buildings line the banks of the Niagara River, however only the wharf is labelled. Snake Hill is shown at south and forested land is shown surrounding the fort. Sections of the plan are labelled with letters which correlate to the reference key index located in the top right corner of the map. References indicate that some sections of the plan refer to military action during the War of 1812, including; “Entrenchments thrown up by the Enemy connecting Fort Erie & Snake Hill”, and “Abbatis made by the Enemy round 1st (?) positions.” Some portions of the key are illegible. The plan is signed: “Position the 8th Aug. 1814 Php. Hughes (?) Rl. Eng.” Text written in the bottom right corner reads: “With a letter to Lt. Genl. Mann dated Montreal 7 Oct. 1814”. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      1814
      Historic plan showing the Niagara River and land to the east and west sides of the river. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is shown at south. At Lake Onario, Fort Niagara and Mississague (sic) Point are shown. Other forts and points of interest are noted however much of the land is labelled as wooded area. Roads are labelled as are islands within the river. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of the Mouth of the Niagara River, shewing the relative Situations of Forts George, Missisaga, and Niagara

      B. Darley Cranfield; George Philpotts, d. 1853; (1815)
      Historic map showing The Niagara River and both the American and British land on either side. Fort Niagara is shown at the very tip of the American side, where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. Also shown is a road labelled: “Road to Lewiston” which runs south, parallel the river from Fort Niagara. On the British side of the river the land is labelled “Town of Newark”, present day Niagara-on-the-Lake. Text accompanying the name of the town reads: “burnt by the American Army in the Month of Dec. 1813.” Fort Misisaga [sic] and Fort George are shown at the north side of Niagara. Directly beside the mouth of the Niagara River a small strip of land is labelled “Sand Beach.” In the centre of the beach is a wharf, the Reo Store and a ferry house. South of the ferry house is a shallow pond. South of the pond is a notation: “American Entrenchment thrown up in the Summer of 1813.” Multiple buildings are labelled on the map, most of which were for military purposes. Two waterways running from Lake Ontario through Niagara are labelled; One Mile Creek and Two Mile Creek. Further notations are made on various locations on the map indicating dates that buildings were destroyed by the American Army during the War of 1812.
    • Map of the Niagara District in Upper Canada

      W.A. Nesfield (1815)
      Historical map showing the Niagara District in Upper Canada, a section of land located between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Lincoln and Haldimand Counties are shown as well as the London District. Towns, villages, roads, bodies of water and waterways are labelled. Also shown on the map are Indian lands, forts such as Fort Niagara, Fort George and Fort Drummond, battle sites, and paths. Some houses are indicated with red markings and includes settlers names. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures and a road running at the top of the escarpment is labeled: “Road cut by Governor Simcoe.” Niagara Falls as well as the rapids north of Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading. Title information and a legend are in the bottom right corner. Text below the title reads: “by Lieutenant W A Nesfield drawn partly from Survey & from documents obtained from the Q: Mr. Gen.ls Department.”
    • Plan of the Attack made upon Fort Erie (Upper Canada) by the Right Division of the British Army, under the command of Lt. Genl. Drummond in August and Septr. 1814.

      G. Nicolls; George Phillpotts (1815)
      Historic plan showing a portion of land in Fort Erie, bordered in the south by Lake Erie and east by the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom. At the south of the map Fort Erie is shown along with military lines/entrenchments and roads. Toward the north is an area of cleared land labelled: “The encampment of the British Army.” North of the encampment is another portion of cleared land labelled: “The Park of Artillery". The large majority of the map is forested. Two lines are shown in the Niagara River running from the river to a military location labelled: “No. 1 Battn.”. The southern-most line reads: “from Battery between Black-Rock and Buffaloe about 1500 yards.” and the line that is north of that reads: “from Black-Rock Battery. about 1700 yards.” Number 2 and Number 3 Battalions are shown south of the number one battalion. Plan is signed by the authors. Relief shown by shading and hachures.
    • Plan of the operations of the British Army, in front of Fort Erie, in the Months of August & Septembr., 1814 under the Command of Lieutenant General Sir Gordon Drummond, Knight Commander of Bath &c. &c.

      W. A. Nesfield; Geo. D. Cranfield (Kingston, Ont., 1815)
      Historical map showing Fort Erie as it was when taken by the Americans. North is oriented to the bottom left. It depicts additional works raised by the American Army, Major Buck's Rd, and roads cut by the British Army. A British Camp is located north of Fort Erie. The map also shows entrenchments, fortifications, batteries and picquets, as well as, the position of troops. The Niagara River and Squaw Island are clearly marked. Black Rock is labelled on the American side of the river. Reference information is provided below the title. Relief shown by shading and hachures.
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 1. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hachures. 'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.'' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 2. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hacures.'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.