• Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier, shewing the communications from thence to the 15 mile Creek, July 1814.

      Phillip Hughes; G. A. Eliott (Montreal, Que., 1814)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Frontier from Fifteen Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. The map covers the northeast area of the Niagara Frontier between Niagara-on-the-Lake through to 15 Mile Creek with Lake Ontario to the north. The map shows roads and some houses which are labelled with the settler’s names. Also shown are military forts and locations of battles indicated with drawings of crossed swords and the date of the battle. Creeks are labelled and the escarpment is indicated with shading.
    • Plan of the Ground on the West Side the Entrance of Niagara River Exhibiting the Reservations for Military Purposes

      1796
      Historic map showing the boundary of the military reserve in Niagara-on-the-Lake with north oriented to the bottom. Fort George is shown with buildings (planned or built), the presence of a marsh, and the relief of the area is indicated with shading. One section of texts reads: “This Reserve is bounded by the SE. Front of the Town to the Extent of 1400 Yards from the Summit of the Bank of the River. Then by a Line perpendicular to the said Front running S 55°E until it intersects the South Boundary being a Line due West from the River at the Distance of 1200 Yards from the High Land above Navy Hall.” Another piece of land is shown with boundary lines, within which the following text was written: “This Reserve is bounded on the SE by the Line of the Town to the Extent of 310 Yds: from the River; then by a Line running N 55°W until it intersects a Line due South from the River at the Distance of 400 Yds: measured on the Edge of the Bank from the Extremity of the SE Boundary.
    • Plan of the Mouth of the Niagara River, shewing the relative Situations of Forts George, Missisaga, and Niagara

      B. Darley Cranfield; George Philpotts, d. 1853; (1815)
      Historic map showing The Niagara River and both the American and British land on either side. Fort Niagara is shown at the very tip of the American side, where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. Also shown is a road labelled: “Road to Lewiston” which runs south, parallel the river from Fort Niagara. On the British side of the river the land is labelled “Town of Newark”, present day Niagara-on-the-Lake. Text accompanying the name of the town reads: “burnt by the American Army in the Month of Dec. 1813.” Fort Misisaga [sic] and Fort George are shown at the north side of Niagara. Directly beside the mouth of the Niagara River a small strip of land is labelled “Sand Beach.” In the centre of the beach is a wharf, the Reo Store and a ferry house. South of the ferry house is a shallow pond. South of the pond is a notation: “American Entrenchment thrown up in the Summer of 1813.” Multiple buildings are labelled on the map, most of which were for military purposes. Two waterways running from Lake Ontario through Niagara are labelled; One Mile Creek and Two Mile Creek. Further notations are made on various locations on the map indicating dates that buildings were destroyed by the American Army during the War of 1812.
    • Plan of the Niagara Frontier. 1937

      Putnam, A. E. (A. E. Putnam, 1937)
      Map showing the Canadian Niagara Power Company electric line and planning service areas.
    • Plan of the Reserve from the Chippewa to the Table Rock

      John Stegman; James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1797)
      Historical map showing land adjacent to the Niagara River from the Chippewa River to Niagara Falls, and Table Rock. Roads, multiple islands and shoals are also shown. On the land adjacent to where the Chippewa River meets the Niagara River is a section of property labelled “Military Land”. Various buildings and streets are shown as well as two larger buildings labelled “Garrison” and “Fairbankshouse”. A bridge is shown crossing the Chippewa River, connecting two roads, one of which runs parallel with the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and branching off into other roadways. At various points in the roadway are latitude and longitude coordinates. More buildings along the Niagara River are labelled such as: Canby’s Mills, Burches Mills and Wilson’s house. Niagara Falls is detailed with shading. Arrows have been drawn in the river indicating the direction of the flow of water towards Niagara Falls. Handwritten text below the title reads: “Surveyed by John Stegman Deputy Surveyor, 1797 Copy J.G. Chewett Surveyor General Office 17th May 1836.” Further notations and dates are written on the map.
    • Plan of the River from Niagara to Fort Schlosser

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1788)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Fort Schlosser, located east of Niagara Falls. North is oriented to the right. Niagara Falls and the rapids are labelled within the Niagara River. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. Hydrological features are shown but not labelled. The Niagara Escarpment and relief shown in shading. Text written next to the title reads: “Quebec 6th Decr. 1788. Gother Mann Captn. Command A.(?) Engn.”
    • Plan shewing the Mill Scite, prayed for by Benjamin Hardison, James Macklem and John Fanning

      William Chewett, 1753-1849. (1807)
      Historic map showing Chippawa Creek. North is oriented to the bottom. To the east is a military reserve with buildings shown but not labelled. To the west is Bridgwater Mills. The shoreline and conditions of the Niagara River (i.e. course of raft and mill race) heading towards Bridgewater Mills (Fort Erie) are drawn. McGill and Canby's Upper Boundary", a Lower Boundary and three other mill sites are noted. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan shewing the situation & dimensions proposed for building lots for merchants & traders on the Kings reserved land near the west landing on the Niagara River in the Province of Upper Canada. 1798

      Robt. Prescott (1798)
      Map date: 1798 NMC- e011198206 Scale [ca. 1:1,108] Relief shown by shading. Oriented with north to the right."H3/440 1798 Queenston"--written in ink in top right margin."Approved (signed) Robt. Prescott By order of the Commander in Chief (signed) James Green, Mil. Sec'y."Digital reproduction of map (43 x 53 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 Q84 G46 1798 M36 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Queen Victoria Park, Niagara Falls

      Copp, Clark Co. Ltd., Lith, Toronto (Niagara Falls : Superintendents Office., 1896)
      Historic map showing the location of Queen Victoria Park in Niagara Falls. The park runs adjacent to the Niagara River beginning at The Clifton House and continues south past Dufferin Islands. Notations within the parkland indicate paths, playground and picnic ground areas, electric railway route, fountains and horse troughs. Table Rock is also noted within the mark adjacent to Horse Shoe Falls. The map also shows boundaries, streets, transportation routes, cultural and tourist features in Niagara Falls. The international boundary between the United States and Canada is shown by a dotted line running directly through the centre of the Niagara River. On the United States side of the river, islands and streets are shown. There are also textual notations providing information about the river rapids and the quantity of water passing over the falls as well as indications of the upper line breakers and the route of the Maid of the Mist. A notation on the map indicates this map was used by the “Superintendents Office, Niagara Falls Feb. 1896.”
    • River Niagara and Welland Canal

      Great Britain. Hydrographic Dept.; Engraved by Davies & Company (London : The Admiralty, 1897)
      Map showing hydrographic features, place names, railroads, First, Second and Third Welland Canals.Full title: North America, Lakes Ontario and Erie, River Niagara and Welland Canal / from the latest United States Government Charts. Welland Canal from the latest Canadian Government Surveys.Digital reproduction of map (68 x 51 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Depths shown by soundings"336" printed in bottom right margin.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 113392 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of lower part of Niagara River, 1790

      1790
      Historical map showing two land masses. Oriented with north to the bottom right. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side at the lower end of the Niagara River adjacent to Lake Ontario. The opposite side is British land. There are multiple buildings including Navy Hall and Rangers' Barracks and a number of buildings which are not labelled. Mississauga Point is shown with a plan of fortifications, boundary of reservation, and reserve for a fort to the south [Fort George] with note "ground within 800 yards of the Fort to be reserved for Government". Roads are also shown on the British but are not labelled. Adjacent to “Rangers Barracks” is a label; “marsh overflowed in Spring”. At the opposite side of “Rangers Barracks” is land “commonly called Generals Fields”. Relief is shown by shading. Latitude of Niagara and other measurements are written at the bottom right of the map.
    • Sketch of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing road and buildings on Navy Island, Grand Island and Bulkhorn Island. This manuscript map shows Navy Island in relative position to the main land, Grand Island and Buckhorn Island. Details concerning batteries, strength of current and distances from shore to island are given. The map is similar to a signed (H.O. Dewley) and dated plan (Jan.19, 1838). As this is a mere four days after Mackenzie and his forces vacated the island, this map, as well as the other, reflects the military interest and activity in the area. The map bears the stamp of the "Royl. Engr. Office" and "No. 116".Scale 1:14,400 Map date: [1838] Digital reproduction of map (24.1 x 38.2 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4203 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of the Niagara Peninsula

      1843?
      Historical map showing boundaries, populated places, major roads, rivers, line of 1st Welland Canal, location of indians.Digital reproduction from the map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 72397 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • The Niagara Frontier and Welland Canal

      R. H.(Richard Hugh) Stotherd, 1828-1895. Lieutenant Price, Royal Engineers (1862)
      Historic map showing “The Niagara Frontier”, situated south of Lake Ontario, north of Lake Erie and west of the United States. The Niagara River divides Canada and the United States. At the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario, Fort Mississagua (sic) in Canada and Fort Niagara in the U.S. can be seen. Further west along the shore of Lake Ontario, the town of Port Dalhousie is labelled. The Second Welland Canal can be seen extending from Port Dalhousie to Port Colborne. Fort Erie is shown at the mouth of the River at Lake Erie and is labelled: “Fort Erie (in Ruins)”. Other details on the map include towns, wooded areas, creeks, roads and railways. Some buildings are marked such as; inn’s, schools and churches. Relief is shown by shading.
    • The Straits of Niagara Engraved for Darby’s Tour

      William Darby, 1775-1854.; W. Hooker ([New York : Kirk & Mercein,, 1819?)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada (the area of present day Niagara Falls and Queenston Heights). North is oriented to the right toward Lake Ontario, Lake Erie is shown at south. The American side of the river is shown on the east side of the Niagara River. The Niagara River is shown cutting through the land from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. Also shown are various other hydrological features on both sides of the river. Place names, streets and significant buildings are marked. Forested areas are noted and land condition notes are also found at various points on the map. Grand Isle is shown at the centre of the river with notations about its size and features. The locations of War of 1812 battle grounds are marked at various points of the map. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Topographic Map of the Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. ([Washington?] : U.S. Geological Survey,, 1913)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Gorge. North is oriented to the top. The Niagara River and Niagara Falls are shown with Canada to the west of the river and the United States to the east. The border line running through the centre of the river is indicated. Major roadways, transportation routes including railways, and hydrological features are shown. Buildings are also shown but not labelled, with the exception of some major buildings such as; schools, city hall’s, libraries, armouries and rail road stations. Relief is shown by contours and spot heights.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monroe (1873?)
      Historic map showing a section of Niagara from Port Dalhousie to Thorold with north oriented toward the right. Text below the title reads: “Reduced from Plan of Surveys made in 1870-1”. Handwritten text below the scale, by the author, reads: "Thorold, 22 Aug. 1873. Thomas Monro." The map shows the Second and Third Welland Canals, beginning at the harbor in Port Dalhousie, travelling to Thorold. Also shown are main roads, creeks, ravines, concession and lot numbers. The Great Western Railway line runs from east to west and the Welland Railway from north to south. The Township of Grantham, St. Catharines, The Township of Stamford and the Township of Thorold are labelled. Handwritten markings in blue pencil are at multiple places along the canal. Handwritten on bottom right corner of map: “R 410 – Welland Canal – 1873 From Ms Div. Sept. 23/1960.” Stamp on verso: "Map Division, Aug 26 1969, Public Archives of Canada." And “New Welland Canal 440”. Handwritten on verso: 4/410 - New Welland Canal - 1873, Topo plan - C 93.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monro
      Historical map showing lines of the Second and Third Welland Canal from Thorold to Port Dalhousie harbour, line of escarpment, main roads, railways, creek ravines, lot and concession numbers, landowners names, townships. Map date: 1873. Digital reproduction of map LAC e011168609 in the Public Archives of Canada. Relief shown by shading Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Trace of Chippewa Harbour

      Killaly, H. H. (1841)
      Historic map showing the mouth of Chippawa Creek (“Chippewa Cut”) at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the top and the Niagara River is shown at east. Hog Island, Old Fort, and River Chippewa are shown north of the Chippewa Cut. A line of piles is marked along the northern side of the creek. A barracks is marked north of the River Chippewa. At the south-eastern tip of Hog Island an extension or pier into the Niagara river is indicated with the following text: “Mould formed by materials excavated from cut” (the “cut” likely referring to the Welland Canal).
    • Welland Canal from actual Survey

      F.P. Rubidge; N.H. Baird; H.H. Killaly (1837)
      Historic map showing the First and Second Welland Canal from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie along with proposed changes to the course. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. The map has been broken down into sections. The “Section First” is noted as; “comprising from Lake Ontario, to the Village of Thorold, & c., Distance, Nine Miles and Sixty one Chains, admeasurement.” A notation indicates that proposed improvements and deviations are shown in red tinting. Canal locks, lift elevations, swing bridges, tow paths, basins and dams are indicated. Cities and towns are marked along the canal as are some buildings and mills. Various notations are made on the map including the state of repair of each lock. Relief and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with shading.