• Plan of Military Reserve Land and Proposed Military Fort at Fort Erie

      1794?
      Historic plan showing military reserve land in Fort Erie which sits north of Lake Erie. A plan of the fort is shown which includes design and measurements of the fort walls along with buildings within the fort. Military land south of the fort is shown broken into lots and numbered. The measurements are shown in chains. More buildings are shown right on the shore of Lake Erie, one of which is labelled: “Kings Store House”. A road is shown running east to west and is labelled: “Road to Chippewa”. A cross-section diagram of the military line of Fort Erie is shown at the top of the plan. The plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications. Written in the top right corner is: “G. M. No. 41 1794”.
    • Plan of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing Navy Island, Buckhorn Island and Grand Island. Shows the island four days after W.L. Mackenzie vacated after the Regellion of 1837; relief, trees, builldings, 'Rebel Hospital' shown on Grand Island and batteries located on Canadian side opposite Navy Island.Scale: 1 inch to 400 yardsDigital reproduction of map (9 1/4 x 14 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4202 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      1814
      Historic plan showing the Niagara River and land to the east and west sides of the river. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is shown at south. At Lake Onario, Fort Niagara and Mississague (sic) Point are shown. Other forts and points of interest are noted however much of the land is labelled as wooded area. Roads are labelled as are islands within the river. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      George Williams (Montreal, Qu. : Engineers Office,, 1814)
      Historic map showing military forts, landings, portage roads on both sides of Niagara River. North is oriented to the right. Buildings are shown at military forts and other locations along the river, however they are not labelled. Grand Island is a prominent feature on the southern portion of the plan. Niagara Falls and islands within the Niagara River are labelled. Relief is shown with hachures. The Plan is signed by its author.
    • Plan of Niagara showing the boundaries of the Town according to the Act of Incorporation passed March 29th 1845

      unknown, author (unknown, 1845)
      Map showing streets, buildings, Butlers' barracks, Fort Mississauga and the ruins of Fort George.
    • [Plan of part of Port Dalhousie harbour at the entrance of the Welland Canal]

      ; E. Gardiner (1892)
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal showing the east and west piers of the Port Dalhousie Harbour, the shoreline and the coal shoot. Scale: 1:2,400 Map date: 1892 Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168604 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of part of the City of St. Catharines

      Rutherford and Ure Engineers and Surveyors (1936)
      Historical map showing city planning, land use, streets, lot and concession numbers.This plan is prepared under instructions no. 791 received from the Surveyor General of the Province of Ontario dated the 28th day of December 1934. Dated at St. Catharines this 31st day of March 1936.Scale [1:2,400]Map date: 1936Digital reproduction of map (135 x 81 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 S35 1936 R87 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of part of the Government Reserve at Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore (1853)
      Historical map showing streets and buildings including Butlers Barracks, Dock Company land and "ruins at Fort George"."Copied from the original by R.J. Beatson. Captain R.E., Quebec 12th April, 1853. (signed) F.F. Passmore, Provincial Land Surveyor, Toronto, March 24, 1853."Digital reproduction of map (17 x 21 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4214 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier

      G. A. Eliott (1814)
      Historic map showing the area from 15 Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. The escarpment is shown by shading. The map also shows roads, some houses which are labelled by the settler’s name, waterways, churches, mills, forts and battle sites. The Niagara River, Niagara Falls and Navy Island is shown to the east. Fort Niagara and Fort Schlosser are shown on the American side of the river and Fort George on the Canadian side.
    • Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier, shewing the communications from thence to the 15 mile Creek, July 1814.

      Phillip Hughes; G. A. Eliott (Montreal, Que., 1814)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Frontier from Fifteen Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. The map covers the northeast area of the Niagara Frontier between Niagara-on-the-Lake through to 15 Mile Creek with Lake Ontario to the north. The map shows roads and some houses which are labelled with the settler’s names. Also shown are military forts and locations of battles indicated with drawings of crossed swords and the date of the battle. Creeks are labelled and the escarpment is indicated with shading.
    • Plan of part of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots in the vicinity of the Market Place belonging to the Government

      George Phillpotts (1819)
      Historic plan showing 26 town blocks in Niagara, divided into lots, some of which are numbered. The plan is oriented with north to the bottom. Below the title is a list of lots noted as: “List of Lots laid out near market square shewing the annual rent paid for each to the Magistrates". Further text describes the plan: “The Block comprised in Lots 65, 66, 103 & 104 was originally granted to Mr. W.D. Smith, formerly Surveyor General of this Province. It was purchased from him for the site of a Govt. house. Since 1815 the part shaded yellow has been granted to the Magistrates. The part shaded Red still belongs to Govt. And for one half of this, the sum of £80 H.C. has been offered, as shewn by the Blue Lines.” The following streets are present on the plan: Gage Street, Johnson Street, Queen Street, Prideau Street, and King’s Street. In the north-west the plan shows a “Reserve near Missuagua (sic)”. A waterway is shown with a single line cutting through the land, but it is not labeled. Noted on the plan is that information was taken from Land Petitions B2 no 92 1842. The plan is signed by its authors.
    • Plan of Port Dalhousie showing the present harbour & proposed improvements

      Lewis J. Lewis (1845?)
      Historical map of Port Dalhousie showing harbour features (including proposed new harbour with measurements), major roads, select buildings, some lot owner's names, locks of First Welland Canal.Digital reproduction of map ( 21 1/2 x 31 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 16937 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Survey from Chippewa to Bridgewater Mills, 1807

      1807?
      Historical map showing buildings and bearings.
    • Plan of that part of the Town of Niagara known as The Niagara Dock Property

      1863
      Map showing streets, buildings, military reserve, 'ruins of Fort George'. Scale 1 inch to 100 feet. Map date: 1863. Digital reproduction of map (20 1/4 x 38 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22534 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of the Attack made upon Fort Erie (Upper Canada) by the Right Division of the British Army, under the command of Lt. Genl. Drummond in August and Septr. 1814.

      G. Nicolls; George Phillpotts (1815)
      Historic plan showing a portion of land in Fort Erie, bordered in the south by Lake Erie and east by the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom. At the south of the map Fort Erie is shown along with military lines/entrenchments and roads. Toward the north is an area of cleared land labelled: “The encampment of the British Army.” North of the encampment is another portion of cleared land labelled: “The Park of Artillery". The large majority of the map is forested. Two lines are shown in the Niagara River running from the river to a military location labelled: “No. 1 Battn.”. The southern-most line reads: “from Battery between Black-Rock and Buffaloe about 1500 yards.” and the line that is north of that reads: “from Black-Rock Battery. about 1700 yards.” Number 2 and Number 3 Battalions are shown south of the number one battalion. Plan is signed by the authors. Relief shown by shading and hachures.
    • Plan of the central part of the Province of Upper Canada shewing the seat of war in the years 1812, 1813, & 1814.

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862. (York [Toronto, On.], 1819)
      Historic map showing the Southern Ontario / Golden Horseshoe region of Upper Canada (present day Ontario. North is oriented to the top of the map. Remarks below the title include a legend indicating markings for actions, roads, causeways & bridges, by roads & paths, and mills. Political jurisdictions, roads, forts and physical features such as: The Niagara Escarpment, marches and creeks, are noted. Crown reserve land and clergy reserve for Six Nations land are marked. Some names of settlers are identified as well. Lake Erie is shown to the south. Relief is shown by shading and hachures. The map was signed by its author.
    • Plan of the Country round Fort Erie shewing the entrenchments etc. thrown up by the enemy in August 1814

      Philip Hughes (1814)
      Historic plan showing the military Fort Erie and surrounding forested area. North is oriented to the right. Lake Erie, although not labelled, is located east of Fort Erie. The military Fort Erie is shown with the two barracks in red ink. Multiple other buildings line the banks of the Niagara River, however only the wharf is labelled. Snake Hill is shown at south and forested land is shown surrounding the fort. Sections of the plan are labelled with letters which correlate to the reference key index located in the top right corner of the map. References indicate that some sections of the plan refer to military action during the War of 1812, including; “Entrenchments thrown up by the Enemy connecting Fort Erie & Snake Hill”, and “Abbatis made by the Enemy round 1st (?) positions.” Some portions of the key are illegible. The plan is signed: “Position the 8th Aug. 1814 Php. Hughes (?) Rl. Eng.” Text written in the bottom right corner reads: “With a letter to Lt. Genl. Mann dated Montreal 7 Oct. 1814”. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of the cut at mouth of River Welland / By Geo. Keefer Jnr Asst Engineer. St. Catharines 4th March 1829

      Keefer, George, 1773-1858 (St. Catharines, On., 1829., 1829)
      Historic map showing the mouth of the Welland River at Chippawa and the surrounding lands. North is oriented to the top. Soundings are shown within the waterway. The Old Battery, Old Fort, Stone House, Jas. Cummings Esq. house, and military ground are indicated. The bridge (current and previous), roadways, and “the cut” are shown. The Niagara River is shown running from south-east to north-west. An inset cross section of the canal (Welland River) is shown at a scale of 20 feet to 1 inch. Relief is shown by shading. NMC-5236. Digital reproduction of: 1 map ; 30 x 30 cm. In Library and Archives Canada. Described in: Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867 / Joan Winerals. 1991. Reference no.: 742.
    • Plan of the Ground on the West Side the Entrance of Niagara River Exhibiting the Reservations for Military Purposes

      1796
      Historic map showing the boundary of the military reserve in Niagara-on-the-Lake with north oriented to the bottom. Fort George is shown with buildings (planned or built), the presence of a marsh, and the relief of the area is indicated with shading. One section of texts reads: “This Reserve is bounded by the SE. Front of the Town to the Extent of 1400 Yards from the Summit of the Bank of the River. Then by a Line perpendicular to the said Front running S 55°E until it intersects the South Boundary being a Line due West from the River at the Distance of 1200 Yards from the High Land above Navy Hall.” Another piece of land is shown with boundary lines, within which the following text was written: “This Reserve is bounded on the SE by the Line of the Town to the Extent of 310 Yds: from the River; then by a Line running N 55°W until it intersects a Line due South from the River at the Distance of 400 Yds: measured on the Edge of the Bank from the Extremity of the SE Boundary.
    • Plan of the Military Reserve at Queenston

      A. Walpole; Henry Vavasour (1819)
      Historic map showing the Military Reserve at the Village of Queenston. Map is oriented with north to the bottom. The military reserve is located along the shoreline from the Niagara River, west to a road that leads to St. David’s. Two lots are labelled with the land owners names: “Dickson’s” and “Secord’s”. A boundary line in the south is labelled “Chisham’s Enclosure”. Other lines are labelled with latitude and longitude coordinates. Also shown are buildings, Government Wharf and relief is shown by hachures.