• No. 3. Plan of comparison of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara on which it is proposed to erect a fortress

      R. H. Bonnycastle; E. W. Durnford (Quebec, 1827)
      Historical map of Short Hills showing relief features and outline of proposed fortressDigital reproduction of map ( 21 x 26 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22145 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 6 Plan of, Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec : Royal Engineers Office, 1817-1818)
      Reproduction of map showing military forts located in the now Niagara-on-the-Lake, dated May 2nd, 1817. Map shows land masses on either side of the Niagara River, adjacent to Lake Ontario. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. The location of two towers, outbuildings and a magazine are specified. Fort George can be seen at the edge of the Niagara River with the arrangement of the fort walls, out buildings, and Navy Hall detailed. Butlers Barracks is also shown at the centre of the Niagara land mass, adjacent to a commons quarters and an Indian Council House. A red line cuts across the west end indicating the “Boundary of Military”. Another red dashed line indicates a “New Proposed military Reserve a,b,c,d&e”. Various roads, forests, farms, buildings, and a church are artistically rendered as well as topographical relief details using hachures, lines and illustrations. The map is stamped with a red seal: “Inspector General of Fortifications”. Hand written notations serve as a legend located above the title of the map.
    • No. 8. Sketch of the Isthmus or Belt of Niagara shewing the situation of the New Fortress

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec (Province) : Royal Engineer's Office,, 1827)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Peninsula and depicts the site for a proposed fortress / military establishment at the Short Hills, on top of the escarpment in Pelham Township. North is oriented to the top towards Lake Ontario and the Niagara River and the United States is shown to the east. Boundaries, hydrological features, “Indian Lands” and towns are shown. The ridge of the Niagara Escarpment is labelled as the “Great Ridge” and height measurements are indicated as being from 4 to 500 feet. The route of the First Welland Canal is shown before the extension to Gravelly Bay, as well as part of the Feeder Canal before its completion, and other proposed routes for canals to Lake Ontario. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854. (Quebec, 1810)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
    • No. V, Upper Canada Plan of Niagara

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)
      Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
    • No.17. Niagara. Plan of the Military Reserve, total of content called 479 acres

      Henry Vavasour; R. I. Pilkington; J. G. Kelly (1851)
      Historic map showing the Village of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Explanatory text below the title reads: “The Yellow and Green shade shews the extent of ground given to the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company by Act of Parliament passed 16th March 1831. The Green having always remained in possession of the Ordnance.” The Niagara River is shown at east. Fort Mississauga, the Ruins of Fort George and the layout of (the new) Fort George are shown. An “Old Guard House” is indicated adjacent to land and buildings which are labelled: “Royal Engr. Premises”. Main streets are shown and labelled. Land granted to religious organizations are noted as is the location of the town market. Other granted portions of land are indicated. Further south is Butlers Barracks, Commandants Quarters and a hospital. The map is signed by R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman. Relief is shown by hachures and shading.
    • Ontario : Hamilton sheet : Lincoln and Welland and portions of Halton, Wentworth and Haldimand Counties

      Canada. Energy, Mines and Resources Canada; White, James, 1863-1928. (1905)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, boundary and electoral district.Scale 1:250,000Map date: 1905Digital reproduction of map (69 x 52 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1905 C35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario Erie and Welland Canals.1850

      unknown (1850)
      Scale [ca. 1:405,737] Digital reproduction of map (14 x 24 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1850 O58 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Great Britain. War Office. (1908)
      Historical map showing physical, political and cultural features, legend.Scale 1:126,720Relief shown by contours.Map date: 1908Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection.Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1908 O55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Canada. Dept. of National Defence (1932)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula (topo 1:126k)

      Canada. Dept of National Defense. (1904)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Peninsula of Niagara

      D. H. Fletcher. (1866)
      Historical map showing boundaries, railways, rivers, main towns and townships, indian reserves on Grand River, Niagara Frontier.[Signed by] E.H. Fletcher."December 8 - 1866" in bottom right corner.Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3011 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan and Section of a Ship Canal from Lake Erie to the Niagara River at the Village of Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837?)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. Military reserve land is marked as are military boundary lines. The Erie Canal and a railroad from Buffalo to Blackrock are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan no. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills, in the Niagara District called the "Mountain" showing the Lots or Grants of Land, quantity cultivated and remaining in forest, with the extent of the sectional lines but through the woods in levelling for Plan no. 3

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. ([1827])
      Historic map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain” also known at that time as “Mount Niagara”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. A large section of relief, indicated with shading is labelled: “wood chiefly chestnut”. At the south of relief is Mount Niagara and 600 yards of forest and relief shown in shading, which leads to Mount Erie. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. At the southern-most portion of the map is a cross road which has a few buildings and Rice’s Tavern. The road is labelled: “from Camboro 20 miles to Allanburgh 5 Miles, Falls 14 Miles.”
    • Plan of a Canal between Fort Erie and Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. The Erie Canal and a railroad are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississauga Point

      John Smyth (Quebec, 1816)
      Historical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Plan of a part of the line of the Welland Canal Shewing the intended deviaton [sic] Between St. Catherines and Thorold

      George Phillpotts (1840?)
      Historic map showing the First Welland Canal from the 22nd to 4th locks, with proposed deviations for the Second Welland Canal. North is oriented to the bottom right corner. A description written below the title reads: “N.B. The Red lines dew the deviation proposed by MefsTs Baird of Killaly for schooner Navigation. The Yellow lines shew the deviation proposed by Lt. Colonel Phillpotts if the Canal be enlarged for the Navigation of Steam Boats.” The map includes location of locks, raceways, reservoirs, as well as mills that operated along the canal. Each lock is labelled with the rise measured in feet. Some areas of land along the proposed routes are labelled with the owner’s name, including prominent St. Catharines citizens such as: Oliver Phelps, Parnell, Secord, Grafs, Wilson, and Ball. Some roadways are shown but not labelled. Relief shown by shading.
    • Plan of a portion of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots adjoining Mississaugua Reserve which have been built upon, also the Lots which have been granted but not built upon.

      F. H. Baddeley (Toronto : Royal Engineer Office, 1837)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. Further descriptive text is noted below the title. The town is divided into lots and labelled with lot numbers and landowners names. Streets and some buildings are also indicated. A boundary line surrounding the military fort at Missaugua (sic) Point is labelled: “Reserve laid down according to a Plan signed Robert Pilkington Lieut. Royal Engineers dated 1796.” East of the reserved land is a section of land that is labelled as “Not Granted”. Further east are military yards, command quarters and a guard room. Other notations are made on various sections of land. A ravine is shown at the south side of the town. Relief is shown by shading. Plan is signed: “Royal Engineer Office Toronto 11th Nov. 1837 (Sd) Geo: Houghton Clerk of works”. Below this signature is the notation: “(?) forwarded to the Com’g. Roy’l. Engineer U. C. with Cap. Baddeley’s letter 11th Nov. 1837.” The plan is also signed: “(Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837" and "(Signed) F. H. Baddeley C. Royal Engineers. Capt & Major. Com'g. Roy'l Engrs, U.C. (Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837." Plan bears the stamp of the Royal Engineers Office.
    • [Plan of a portion of the Welland Canal at Humberstone, Lot No. 26, 3rd Con.]

      W.G. Thompson (1878)
      Historical map showing the canal at lot no. 26, towing path, back ditch, measurements, road allowance. Relief shown by hachures. Scale 1 inch to 4 chains. Map date: 1878. Title supplied by Public Archives of Canada. Digital reproduction of map (8 1/4 x 14 1/2 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168601 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.