• Upper Canada

      Henry S. Tanner (1836)
      Historic map of Upper Canada (present day Ontario). The map shows boundaries, place names and major roads, along with hydrological features. Place names are reflective of the time period which this map was produced, 1836. The great lakes shown are: Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Lake Iroquois is also shown (present day Georgian Bay). Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Vernon-Might's "clearview" city directory map, St. Catharines, Ont.

      Might Directories, ltd. (1931)
      Historical map showing boundary, road and transportation features, street names and street numbers, legend. Scale [ca. 1:8,333] Map date: 1931 Digital reproduction of map (48 x 58 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 S35 1931 M54 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Village of Port Dalhousie map sheet from the Welland Canal Book 1]

      1850?
      Historical map is Map 1 from the Welland Canal Book 1, showing Port Dalhousie's roads, buildings, dry dock and Lock 1 of the First and Second Welland Canal. Includes lot and concession numbers, land owner names, buildings, the 'new' and 'old' harbour, the canal lock, towing path and measurements. Relief shown by hachures. Scale [ca. 1:2,461]. Map date: 1850. Digital reproduction of map from the "Welland Canal Book 1" located in the James A. Gibson Special Collections' St. Lawrence Seaway Archives. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 P66 1850 V55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal enlargement new line Thorold to Port Dalhousie : plan of lands between the town of St. Catharines and Port Dalhousie.

      Geo Gibson (1873)
      Historical map showing land ownership in area of proposed route for the Third Welland Canal. Gives names of landowner, lot numbers, small section of street plan of St. Catharines in Rolls Ave. and old Lake Road area. Includes table: "Schedule of land required for canal proposes between the concession line IV & V Township of Grantham and the Mouth of "May's Ravine." Relief shown by hachures. Scale [ca. 1:2,398] Map date: 1873. Digital reproduction of map (51 x 102 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168610 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal Enlargement Plan shewing proposed deviation of Welland Railway in ravine behind Thorold Village

      Thomas Monro; John Page (1874)
      Historical map showing streets, buildings in the Village of Thorold, the Welland Railway and the Welland Canal. "Thorold, 15th June 1874. Thomas Monro. John Page., C.E. P. Works." Scale 1 in to 100 ft. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Relief shown by hachures. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168614 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal Enlargement, Land Plan, from Thorold to Allanburgh

      Geo. Gibson (1876)
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal showing, streets, lot numbers, land owners, road allowances, railway. Scale: 1 inch to 3 chains. Map date: 1876. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168616 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal enlargement, new line Thorold to Port Dalhousie : plan of lands between the town of St. Catharines and Port Dalhousie.

      Thomas Monro; John Page (1873)
      Historical map showing land ownership in area of proposed route for the Third Welland Canal. Gives names of landowner, lot numbers, small section of street plan of St. Catharines in Rolls Ave. and old Lake Road area. A chart indicates land required for canal purposes giving owner's name, lot and concession and approximate acreage. Relief shown by hachures. Scale 3 chains per inch. "Signed: Thomas Monro and John Page. Thorold, Aug. 1, 1873." Map Date: 1873. Library Archives Canada attributes this map to George Monro Gibson, though his signature is not on this version. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168611 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal enlargement, new line Thorold to Port Dalhousie : plan of lands between the town of St. Catharines and Port Dalhousie.

      Geo. Gibson (1873)
      Historical map showing land ownership in area of proposed route for the Third Welland Canal. Gives names of landowner, lot numbers, small section of street plan of St. Catharines in Rolls Ave. and old Lake Road area. Includes table: "Schedule of land required for canal proposes between the concession line IV & V Township of Grantham and the Mouth of "May's Ravine." Signed: Geo Gibson, P.L. Surveyor, July 1873. Includes stamp from the Thorold Office. Relief shown by hachures. Scale: 3 chains per inch. Map date: 1873. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168613 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal Enlargement. Plan of Port Dalhousie Harbour, Section No. 1. New Line, Thorold to Port Dalhousie

      Thomas Monro (1875)
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal showing elevation and soundings and bore hole measurements, buildings and canal features. Includes cross sections. Scale 1 inch to 80 feet. Relief shown by hachures and shading. Map date: 1875. Digital reproduction of map (46 x 95 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168615 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal from actual Survey

      F.P. Rubidge; N.H. Baird; H.H. Killaly (1837)
      Historic map showing the First and Second Welland Canal from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie along with proposed changes to the course. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. The map has been broken down into sections. The “Section First” is noted as; “comprising from Lake Ontario, to the Village of Thorold, & c., Distance, Nine Miles and Sixty one Chains, admeasurement.” A notation indicates that proposed improvements and deviations are shown in red tinting. Canal locks, lift elevations, swing bridges, tow paths, basins and dams are indicated. Cities and towns are marked along the canal as are some buildings and mills. Various notations are made on the map including the state of repair of each lock. Relief and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with shading.
    • [Welland Canal Locks 3-4. 1845]

      St. Johns Outdoor Studies Centre, Niagara South Board of Education (Niagara South Board of Education, 1845)
      Map showing locks 2 and 3 of the 2nd Welland Canal in downtown St. Catharines with street names, buildings, wharfs and lock features.
    • [Welland Canal Locks 4-7. 1845]

      St. Johns Outdoor Studies Centre, Niagara South Board of Education (Niagara South Board of Education, 1845)
      Map showing locks 4 and 7 of the 2nd Welland Canal in downtown St. Catharines with street names, buildings, wharfs and lock features.
    • Welland Canal. Plan of land on Goose Island in the Village of Merritton proposed to be leased to Fred Grenville 22 June 1916.

      1916
      Historical map of the Third Welland Canal showing canal boundaries, locks, buildings, Goose Island. Existing and pending leases are shown together with the name of leasees and their dwellings. Relief shown by hachures. Scale: 100 feet to 1 inch. Map date 1916. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168607 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal. Plan of the Harbor at Chippewa

      Samuel Powers (1844)
      Historic map showing the First and Second Welland Canal routes where the Chippewa River enters the Niagara River. Text below the title reads: ‘Shewing its Condition in May 1844 The improvements executed during that season and those which will hereafter be required to render the harbor safe and easy of access.” One route of the Welland Canal shown on the map is labelled: “Chippewa Cut”. Adjacent to the Chippewa Cut is a line labelled: “Line of proposed improvement.” Two notations relevant to the improvements of the canal are as follows: “The Blue Line shows the work executed during the season of 1844. The Red Line shows the future improvements required.” The location of an “Old Fort” is shown on Hog Island. Extending into the Niagara river from Hog Island is a formation labelled: “Mould formed by materials Excavated from Cut.” A “Line of Piles” is shown extending from the Niagara River, through the Chippewa Cut to the Chippewa river at the location of proposed piers. A barracks is shown on the land adjacent to the Chippewa River. Depths shown by soundings can be seen in the Chippewa River. There is a lengthy description of the map at the right side of the map map which is signed by S. Powers.
    • [Welland Canal. Plan showing part of Welland Canal from Port Dalhousie to Thorold]

      1912?
      Historical map of the Third Welland Canal showing the locks, bridges, railroads, place names. Blueprint. Map date: [1912?] "Stamped on reverse: Dept. of Railways & Canals, File No. 9801. Date assigned from related maps with the same File No. and dated 1912" -- LAC description. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168606 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Ship Canal – General Plan of Ship Canal

      Welland Ship Canal Office (St. Catharines, Ont.); H. F. Marten (1925)
      Historic map showing the First, Second and Third Welland Canal routes and the route of the “future” Fourth Welland Canal. Text below the titled indicates the map was “made from Photostat reproductions of general plans of sections, the militia map, etc.” North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. Two different entrances to the Welland Canal routes are shown at Port Weller and Port Dalhousie and the canal routes end in the south at Port Colborne. County and township boundaries are shown, cities and towns are labelled. Lots, concessions, roads, railways and industrial buildings and churches are also shown. Some lots are marked by the land owners name. Above the map is a cross section or profile of the Welland Ship Canal indicating elevation changes between Lakes Erie and Ontario. Text indicates that the map was owned by the “Office of Engineer in Charge, St. Catharines. Ont.” Relief is shown by contours and hachures.