• Shore line of Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie

      Thomas Monro (Thorold, Ont. : Thomas Monro, 1883)
      Historic map showing the Lake Ontario shore line at Port Dalhousie. North is oriented left towards the lake. Text below the title indicates the time frame that the shore line map is representative of: “as it was in 1844” and “as it is now (1883)”. Although this is a black and white version, the original had the 1844 shoreline indicated in blue and the 1883 line indicated in red. Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal and the line of the First Welland Canal are shown. The Village of Port Dalhousie is labelled and Lock Street is shown beginning at the lake and running through Port Dalhousie to a tow path. Also shown on this map are various locations relevant to Welland Canal operations, including: Collector’s House, Sail Loft, Muir’s Dry Dock, Shore House, Collector’s Office, Weir, Wain and Andrews Dry Dock. A new harbor is located to the east of Port Dalhousie and a road to St. Catharines to the south. A note at the bottom of the map reads as follows: “Shore Line colored RED taken June 29th 1883. Level of Lake 14 feet on Mitre Sill of Old (2nd) Canal.” Signed: "Thorold, 2nd July 1883. Thomas Monro". "RG 43 vol. 804 Folder 85 #14848 (?)" written in top right margin and bottom right margin.
    • Sketch of Drummondville Shewing in red the Houses etc. hired for the Accommodation of Troops

      W.H. Roberts; Richard Birley (Toronto [Ont.],, 1838)
      Historic plan showing the village of Drummondville (present day Niagara Falls) with roads and buildings depicted. North is oriented to the right. Some buildings are not labelled, however one building at the southern portion of the map is labelled as a “Pavillion”. Other buildings are labelled alphabetically. Reference text at the right side of the plan provides further information about the buildings that correspond with the letter they are labelled with. The buildings include hotels, houses, bath houses, barns, stables, cottages and a chapel that served as a hospital. Some forested areas are shown and relief is shown with shading.
    • Sketch of Kingston and Frederick Point

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1789?)
      Historic map / sketch showing the city of Kingston, Frederick Point and surrounding waterways and islands. North is oriented to the top. Kingston is shown at west. Text within the Kingston land mass reads: “The coloured part of this Sketch shows the ground to be Surveyed Two hundred feet to an inch.” East of Kingston is the Cataraqui Harbor (present day Kingston Harbour) and Frederick Point. At the northern portion of Frederick Point, text reads: “Ground for Building Lots”. Haldimand Cove (present day Navy Bay) is shown east of Frederick Point and West of Point Henry. East of Point Henry is Hamilton Cove. East of Hamilton Cove are two islands labelled: “I. au Cedar” and “Petite I. au Cedar”. Depth soundings are shown in both Cataraqui Harbour and the mouth of Haldimand Cove. An arrow with text: “Magnetic North” is at the right side of the map. “12” is on a label in the bottom right margin.
    • Sketch of lower part of Niagara River, 1790

      1790
      Historical map showing two land masses. Oriented with north to the bottom right. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side at the lower end of the Niagara River adjacent to Lake Ontario. The opposite side is British land. There are multiple buildings including Navy Hall and Rangers' Barracks and a number of buildings which are not labelled. Mississauga Point is shown with a plan of fortifications, boundary of reservation, and reserve for a fort to the south [Fort George] with note "ground within 800 yards of the Fort to be reserved for Government". Roads are also shown on the British but are not labelled. Adjacent to “Rangers Barracks” is a label; “marsh overflowed in Spring”. At the opposite side of “Rangers Barracks” is land “commonly called Generals Fields”. Relief is shown by shading. Latitude of Niagara and other measurements are written at the bottom right of the map.
    • Sketch of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing road and buildings on Navy Island, Grand Island and Bulkhorn Island. This manuscript map shows Navy Island in relative position to the main land, Grand Island and Buckhorn Island. Details concerning batteries, strength of current and distances from shore to island are given. The map is similar to a signed (H.O. Dewley) and dated plan (Jan.19, 1838). As this is a mere four days after Mackenzie and his forces vacated the island, this map, as well as the other, reflects the military interest and activity in the area. The map bears the stamp of the "Royl. Engr. Office" and "No. 116".Scale 1:14,400 Map date: [1838] Digital reproduction of map (24.1 x 38.2 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4203 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of part of the Niagara River, shewing the portion of Ordnance Chain Reserve

      Alexander Gordon; W. T. Renwick; Great Britain. Army. Corps of Royal Engineers. (1852)
      Historic map showing the area along the bank of the Niagara River from Niagara Falls to the Niagara Suspension Bridge at Queenston. Full title and subtitle text reads as follows: “Sketch of part of the Niagara River, shewing the portion of Ordnance Chain Reserve, colored Red, applied for by the St. Catherines, Thorold, & Suspension Bridge Road Company 27/9/52”. Also given on the map are the heights of cliffs on both sides of the river, roadways, and distances. Other features shown are: Gen. Brock’s Monument, Steamboat Landing, Clifton House, Goat Island, Navy Island and Grand Island. A boundary line is shown in the Niagara River. Relief is shown with shading and depths are shown by soundings.
    • Sketch of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1835

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Thomas George William Eaststaff, 1772-1854 (Toronto, 1835)
      Historic map of the “Military Reserve at Niagara shewing the mode in which it is proposed to let the Ordnance premises now occupied by the establishment.” The map shows a section of the Town of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the cross streets Queen and King. Military buildings such as Navy Hall, artillery barrack’s and officers’ quarters are shown, as are military forts such as Fort George and Fort Mississagua (sic). The land is divided into lots, some of which are labelled. Land grants are indicated: “Granted to Catholic Church” and “Granted to English Church”. Also of note are land occupancies: Niagara Harbour and Dock Company, and J. Crook's. A large section of land, divided into unlabeled lots has a written title: “Reserve – This part of the Reserve was laid out in Lots in 1796 by Lieut. Pilkington. R.E.” and “This uncleared part Chiefly Young Oak”. Handwritten text on the map reads as follows: “To accompany the Report of the Commanding Royal Engineer to His Excellency the Lieut. Governor of Upper Canada on the subjects of the Military Reserve dated 10th July 1836. Copy of a Plan sent with the Respective Officers Letter to Wm. Byham of 14th December 1835.”
    • Sketch of the Niagara District

      Benjamin Spicer Stehelin (1840)
      Historic map showing the Niagara District bordered by Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the United States. North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. At the head of the title is: “No.42”. Below the title is an ink stamp which reads: “Commanding R. Engineer’s Office No. 95”. Towns are indicated along with waterways and roads. The route of the Second Welland Canal connecting Lakes Erie and Ontario. Some buildings are shown and labelled including; mills, taverns, schools, and farms. Military forts are labelled at the mouth of the river at Lake Ontario as well as the mouth of the river at Lake Erie. Natural features are also indicated such as the Niagara Escarpment, Niagara Falls, swamps and wooded areas. Relief is shown by shading and hachures. Unsettled sections of land are also labelled.
    • Sketch of the Niagara Peninsula

      1843?
      Historical map showing boundaries, populated places, major roads, rivers, line of 1st Welland Canal, location of indians.Digital reproduction from the map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 72397 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of the Welland Canal, U.C.

      Unknown, Author (unknown, 1833)
      Map showing the First Welland Canal with proposed side cuts, township boundaries, towns, forts, creeks and rivers.
    • Sketch of the Welland Canal, U.C. 1833

      unknown (Onondaga Historical Association, 1833)
      Map showing the First Welland Canal with proposed side cuts, township boundaries, towns, forts, creeks and rivers. Includes "Table of Distances"
    • Sketch Shewing part of the Town of Niagara

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862. (1839)
      Historic sketch showing a portion of the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the right. Text above the title reads: “Taken from Land petitions B1 no 92 1842”. The Niagara River is shown at east and a Military Reservation at south. The town is shown in blocks broken into lots and numbered. King Street is shown bordering the lots to the south, running east to west. Three streets run from King Street north: John Street, Queen Street, and Prideaux Street. Lots 103 and 104 have the text: “Lots applied for”. Lots 65 and 66 have text: “Granted for the Market lots.” Sketch is signed by author with his initials and dated: “18th March, 1839”.
    • Sketch showing the situation of Fort Erie and position of forces for the attack by the British

      J. B. Glegg (1814)
      Historical map of Fort Erie showing the area from Snake Hill past the military Fort Erie and the British lines to the headquarters of Lieutenant General Drummond further north. North is oriented to the bottom and Lake Erie is shown to the south. The Niagara River is shown to the east. The Indian camp, camp and artillery park, picquets, trails, and fortifications by the British are depicted. There is some detail of the American border and its military defenses.
    • Soil survey map of County of Welland, Province of Ontario. 1935

      Ontario Agricultural College. Dept. of Chemistry (Ontario Agricultural College. Dept. of Chemistry, 1935)
      Map showing road, transportation, cultural, and boundary features, soil classification, legend.
    • Souvenir historical map of the Town of Niagara, Co. Lincoln, Ontario

      Johnson, B. Frank (Duncan Lithographing, 1894)
      Map showing location of historical events, descriptive notes, streets, lot numbers, boundaries, transportation features, some land owners names.
    • St. Catharines

      Miles and Company, Toronto. (Toronto : Miles & Co., 1879)
      Historic map of St. Catharines showing the boundaries of the following wards: St. Patrick’s, St. James, St. Thomas’, St. Andrews, St. George’s, and St. Paul’s, from 1879. To the north the map ends at Carlton Street, and to the south it ends at a road allowance between Concessions 7 & 8. Routes of the First, Second and Third Welland Canal are shown as is the Welland Railway and the Great Western Railway. Dick’s Creek and Twelve Mile Creek are shown to the south. Concessions and lots are shown but not labelled or numbered. Most streets are labelled and some prominent buildings are indicated as well. Relief is shown with hachures.
    • [St. Catharines oblique aerial photographs. 1920]

      McCarthy Aero Service Limited, 1920
      3 oblique aerial photographs showing northeast views of the 1st and 2nd Welland Canal valley, including St. Paul Street, Glenridge Bridge and Burgoyne Bridge.
    • St. Catharines Ont. and Surroundings.

      Sabiston Lith. & Pub. Co. (Montreal : Sabiston Lith. & Pub. Co.,, 1890?)
      Historic map showing an artistic rendering of a bird’s eye view of the City of St. Catharines. The route of the Second Welland Canal through the city and a section of the Third Welland Canal. Also shown are streets and drawings of homes and buildings beginning at the water’s edge and continuing throughout the city. Bordering the map are illustrations of 29 significant buildings in St. Catharines, Thorold and Merritton. The names of each building are listed at the bottom of the map.
    • St. Catharines, 1875, Province Ontario, Canada

      H. Brosius; Charles Shober & Co. (Chas. Shober & Co. prop's Chicago Lith. Co., 1875reprin)
      Artistic historic map showing a bird’s-eye view of St. Catharines. Locally this map is commonly referred to as the “Brosius Map”. This map has been widely used and greatly appreciated as it is a very detailed, hand drawn view of the city. The author, Herman Brosius (1851-1917) was a renowned artist known for completing bird’s-eye views of at least 57 towns and cities in North America. With his brother Frederick, he co-owned the Milwaukee Lithograph and Engraving Company.
    • St. Catharines. 1876

      Page, H.R. (H.R. Page, 1876)
      Map showing streets, wards (St. Andrew's Ward, St. George's Ward, St. Thomas' Ward), land owners, lot numbers, route of the second Welland Canal and tow path, and a section of the proposed third Welland Canal, Great Western Railway.