• Ontario : Hamilton sheet : Lincoln and Welland and portions of Halton, Wentworth and Haldimand Counties

      Canada. Energy, Mines and Resources Canada; White, James, 1863-1928. (1905)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, boundary and electoral district.Scale 1:250,000Map date: 1905Digital reproduction of map (69 x 52 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1905 C35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario Erie and Welland Canals.1850

      unknown (1850)
      Scale [ca. 1:405,737] Digital reproduction of map (14 x 24 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1850 O58 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Great Britain. War Office. (1908)
      Historical map showing physical, political and cultural features, legend.Scale 1:126,720Relief shown by contours.Map date: 1908Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection.Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3462 N53 1908 O55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula

      Canada. Dept. of National Defence (1932)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ontario, Niagara Peninsula (topo 1:126k)

      Canada. Dept of National Defense. (1904)
      Historical map showing roads, transportation, political and cultural features, legend. Digital reproduction of map (60 x 84 cm.) in the Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University. Relief shown by contours. Contour interval 25 feet. Georeferenced and modified from the "Canada 2 miles to 1 inch" map series, "Ontario, Niagara Peninsula" sheet by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Peninsula of Niagara

      D. H. Fletcher. (1866)
      Historical map showing boundaries, railways, rivers, main towns and townships, indian reserves on Grand River, Niagara Frontier.[Signed by] E.H. Fletcher."December 8 - 1866" in bottom right corner.Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3011 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan and Section of a Ship Canal from Lake Erie to the Niagara River at the Village of Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837?)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. Military reserve land is marked as are military boundary lines. The Erie Canal and a railroad from Buffalo to Blackrock are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan no. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills, in the Niagara District called the "Mountain" showing the Lots or Grants of Land, quantity cultivated and remaining in forest, with the extent of the sectional lines but through the woods in levelling for Plan no. 3

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. ([1827])
      Historic map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain” also known at that time as “Mount Niagara”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. A large section of relief, indicated with shading is labelled: “wood chiefly chestnut”. At the south of relief is Mount Niagara and 600 yards of forest and relief shown in shading, which leads to Mount Erie. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. At the southern-most portion of the map is a cross road which has a few buildings and Rice’s Tavern. The road is labelled: “from Camboro 20 miles to Allanburgh 5 Miles, Falls 14 Miles.”
    • Plan of a Canal between Fort Erie and Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. The Erie Canal and a railroad are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississauga Point

      John Smyth (Quebec, 1816)
      Historical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Plan of a part of the line of the Welland Canal Shewing the intended deviaton [sic] Between St. Catherines and Thorold

      George Phillpotts (1840?)
      Historic map showing the First Welland Canal from the 22nd to 4th locks, with proposed deviations for the Second Welland Canal. North is oriented to the bottom right corner. A description written below the title reads: “N.B. The Red lines dew the deviation proposed by MefsTs Baird of Killaly for schooner Navigation. The Yellow lines shew the deviation proposed by Lt. Colonel Phillpotts if the Canal be enlarged for the Navigation of Steam Boats.” The map includes location of locks, raceways, reservoirs, as well as mills that operated along the canal. Each lock is labelled with the rise measured in feet. Some areas of land along the proposed routes are labelled with the owner’s name, including prominent St. Catharines citizens such as: Oliver Phelps, Parnell, Secord, Grafs, Wilson, and Ball. Some roadways are shown but not labelled. Relief shown by shading.
    • Plan of a portion of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots adjoining Mississaugua Reserve which have been built upon, also the Lots which have been granted but not built upon.

      F. H. Baddeley (Toronto : Royal Engineer Office, 1837)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. Further descriptive text is noted below the title. The town is divided into lots and labelled with lot numbers and landowners names. Streets and some buildings are also indicated. A boundary line surrounding the military fort at Missaugua (sic) Point is labelled: “Reserve laid down according to a Plan signed Robert Pilkington Lieut. Royal Engineers dated 1796.” East of the reserved land is a section of land that is labelled as “Not Granted”. Further east are military yards, command quarters and a guard room. Other notations are made on various sections of land. A ravine is shown at the south side of the town. Relief is shown by shading. Plan is signed: “Royal Engineer Office Toronto 11th Nov. 1837 (Sd) Geo: Houghton Clerk of works”. Below this signature is the notation: “(?) forwarded to the Com’g. Roy’l. Engineer U. C. with Cap. Baddeley’s letter 11th Nov. 1837.” The plan is also signed: “(Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837" and "(Signed) F. H. Baddeley C. Royal Engineers. Capt & Major. Com'g. Roy'l Engrs, U.C. (Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837." Plan bears the stamp of the Royal Engineers Office.
    • [Plan of a portion of the Welland Canal at Humberstone, Lot No. 26, 3rd Con.]

      W.G. Thompson (1878)
      Historical map showing the canal at lot no. 26, towing path, back ditch, measurements, road allowance. Relief shown by hachures. Scale 1 inch to 4 chains. Map date: 1878. Title supplied by Public Archives of Canada. Digital reproduction of map (8 1/4 x 14 1/2 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168601 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Plan of a portion of the Welland Canal, Lot No. 26, 3rd Con.]

      George Gibson (1882)
      Historical map showing the canal at lot no. 26, public works boundary, back ditch, measurements. Map date: 1882. Signed: Certified Geo. Gibson, P.L. Surveyor, Feby. 15th, 1882. Title supplied by Public Archves of Canada.Digital reproduction of map (8 1/2 x 20 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168602 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of a Ship Canal from the Niagara River to the Welland Canal

      Thomas Roy (1837?)
      Historical map showing a proposed line for a canal from the Town of Niagara at the mouth of the Niagara River, to intersect the First Welland Canal at Thorold. Text indicates that map was created to accompany a report by Thos. Roy, January 6th, 1837. Sections of land are labelled: “Louth”, “Grantham” and “Niagara.” The Welland Canal is shown travelling from Lake Ontario to Thorold. A small section of land to the east near the Niagara River shows lots that are not labelled. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of British Attack on Fort Erie, 1818

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850.; A. Walpole (1818)
      Historic map showing Fort Erie and various notations regarding military lines, battles and fortifications. North is oriented to the right. The Niagara River is located east of the land shown on the map, however it is not labelled. The military Fort Erie is shown slightly west of “Gov’ Wharf” and the Niagara River. A line running south from Fort Erie is labelled “American Lines”. Notations at the north side of the map indicate the location of an “English Attack” and two Battery’s. A blockhouse is shown at west near the location of the English attack. There are multiple notations written on the map, including: "Royal Engineers' Drawing Room, Quebec. 31st Jan. 1818, A. Walpole, Rl. Engrs." In the bottom right corner and signatures of the authors. Forested areas and vegetation are shown and relief is shown with hachures.
    • Plan of Burlington Heights

      Philip John Bainbrigge, 1817-1881; J. Radenhurst; Lewis Burwell, 1794-1865; Henry Lizars; Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; S. P.(Samuel Proundfoot) Hurd, b. 1793 (Toronto, On. : Surveyor General's Office,, 1835)
      Historic map showing Burlington Heights including the Desjardins Canal and Burlington Bay. North is oriented to the top right. Military batteries and barracks are shown at the north and south of Burlington Heights. Also at north is a grave yard. Desjardins Canal runs east to west around Burlington Heights. The area west of Burlington Heights is labelled Coots’ Paradise. East of Burlington Heights is Burlington Bay. Roads to Dundas and Toronto are shown. The northernmost portion of the plan has a textual notation: “This bank and edge of the water are only sketched”. At the top of the plan are two separate, lengthy copy notations. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of Fort Erie, Town & Military Reserve

      William Wallace, 1805-1887; Alex Gordon (1853)
      Historic plan showing Fort Erie where the Niagara River meets Lake Erie. North is oriented to the right. Military Reserve land is shown along with the ruins of the old military fort. An ordnance boundary line is indicated. The Brantford and Buffalo Railroad line is shown running from the west boundary line toward the Niagara River. A small portion of the town is divided into three lots numbered 1 to 3. Some buildings are shown along the shore of the river but only a mill and ferry wharf are identified. Relief is shown by hachures. The plan is signed by William Wallace, Engineer, and a notation below the scale reads: “Forwarded with my report of 1st February 1853. Alexr. Gordon Lt. Col. Royal Engineers.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineers.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.