• Map of the town of St. Catharines, Canada West

      Marcus Smith, 1815-1904. ([S.l.] : Marcus Smith,, 1852)
      Historical map of the Town of St. Catharines, Canada West, 1852. Below the title is a paragraph describing St. Catharines, the importance of the Welland Canal, historical facts about its engineering and the vessels that passed through it at that time. The section of St. Catharines shown on the map includes St. Thomas’ Ward and St. Georges Ward. The first and second Welland Canals as well as locks 3-6 are shown. 12 Mile Creek and Dicks Creek are visible, both of which connect to the Welland Canal. Streets are labelled and lots are labelled with the name of the land owner. Some lots have visible lot numbers as well as buildings. Of importance are sections of land labelled as being owned by some of the prominent founding citizens of St. Catharines, including: Honourable William H. Merritt, Lewis Shikaluna [sic], Thomas R. Merritt, James R. Benson, Calvin Phelps, Elias S. Adams, Jacob Hainer, and J. P. Merritt. Lots and concessions are labelled without land owners indicated on the parcels of land surrounding the more populated section of St. Catharines. Road allowances are labelled at the north, south and west sides of the town. The Great Western Railway is shown at the south-west corner. A compass rose at the right side of the map indicates north. Text at the bottom left of the map indicates that it was lithographed at: “A. Kollner’s Lithc. Establt. Phila.” Relief is shown by hachures and landform drawings.
    • Niagara Township [Niagara Townsite]. 1910

      Niven, Alexander (Department of Lands, Forests and Mines, 1910)
      Map showing streets, boundaries, lot numbers, some land ownership names, parks, 'ruins of Fort George'.
    • Plan of a portion of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots adjoining Mississaugua Reserve which have been built upon, also the Lots which have been granted but not built upon.

      F. H. Baddeley (Toronto : Royal Engineer Office, 1837)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. Further descriptive text is noted below the title. The town is divided into lots and labelled with lot numbers and landowners names. Streets and some buildings are also indicated. A boundary line surrounding the military fort at Missaugua (sic) Point is labelled: “Reserve laid down according to a Plan signed Robert Pilkington Lieut. Royal Engineers dated 1796.” East of the reserved land is a section of land that is labelled as “Not Granted”. Further east are military yards, command quarters and a guard room. Other notations are made on various sections of land. A ravine is shown at the south side of the town. Relief is shown by shading. Plan is signed: “Royal Engineer Office Toronto 11th Nov. 1837 (Sd) Geo: Houghton Clerk of works”. Below this signature is the notation: “(?) forwarded to the Com’g. Roy’l. Engineer U. C. with Cap. Baddeley’s letter 11th Nov. 1837.” The plan is also signed: “(Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837" and "(Signed) F. H. Baddeley C. Royal Engineers. Capt & Major. Com'g. Roy'l Engrs, U.C. (Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837." Plan bears the stamp of the Royal Engineers Office.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan of part of the Government Reserve at Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore (1853)
      Historical map showing streets and buildings including Butlers Barracks, Dock Company land and "ruins at Fort George"."Copied from the original by R.J. Beatson. Captain R.E., Quebec 12th April, 1853. (signed) F.F. Passmore, Provincial Land Surveyor, Toronto, March 24, 1853."Digital reproduction of map (17 x 21 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4214 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of towns of Niagara and Newark and adjacent military reserves

      Gustavus Nicolls (1833)
      Historic map of Niagara-on-the-Lake showing lots, some of which are labelled with lot numbers, buildings and roadways. Military land and buildings, Fort George and Fort Mississague [sic], as well as a hospital and English Church and burying ground are also shown. The Town of Newark is shown with minimal detail. A large piece of land adjacent to Fort George is labelled “Military Reserve.” Handwritten text on the map reads: “Royal Engineers Office Quebec 20th April 1833 – Gusts Nicolls Colonel (?) Engineer Canada.”