• A Survey of the River Niagara made by order of The Right Honorable The Lords Commissioners of the admiralty in the year 1817 under the direction of Captain William Fitzwilliam Owen. R.N.

      William Fitzwilliam Owen
      Historical map of the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. Shows forts, villages, towns, buildings, islands. Digital reproduction of map (22 1/2 x 39 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Relief shown by shading and hachures. Depths shown by soundings throughout the river. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 21729 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Areal geology, New York - Ontario, Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. (U.S. Geological Survey, 1913)
      Historical map showing geological, road, transportation and hydrological features, buildings.Digital reproduction of map (118 x 44 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by contours and spot heightsGeoreferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 1. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hachures. 'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.'' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 2. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hacures.'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the Niagara District in Upper Canada

      W.A. Nesfield (1815)
      Historical map showing the Niagara District in Upper Canada, a section of land located between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Lincoln and Haldimand Counties are shown as well as the London District. Towns, villages, roads, bodies of water and waterways are labelled. Also shown on the map are Indian lands, forts such as Fort Niagara, Fort George and Fort Drummond, battle sites, and paths. Some houses are indicated with red markings and includes settlers names. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures and a road running at the top of the escarpment is labeled: “Road cut by Governor Simcoe.” Niagara Falls as well as the rapids north of Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading. Title information and a legend are in the bottom right corner. Text below the title reads: “by Lieutenant W A Nesfield drawn partly from Survey & from documents obtained from the Q: Mr. Gen.ls Department.”
    • Niagara River

      by Geo. Catlin. (1827?)
      Historical map of the Niagara River showing transportation and hydrological features, roads on either side of the river, place names, forts, "ancient shore of Lake Ontario", Brock's Monument."Estimate by Geo. Catlin in 1827".Digital reproduction of map (28 x 22 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 120091 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of the Reserve from the Chippewa to the Table Rock

      John Stegman; James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1797)
      Historical map showing land adjacent to the Niagara River from the Chippewa River to Niagara Falls, and Table Rock. Roads, multiple islands and shoals are also shown. On the land adjacent to where the Chippewa River meets the Niagara River is a section of property labelled “Military Land”. Various buildings and streets are shown as well as two larger buildings labelled “Garrison” and “Fairbankshouse”. A bridge is shown crossing the Chippewa River, connecting two roads, one of which runs parallel with the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and branching off into other roadways. At various points in the roadway are latitude and longitude coordinates. More buildings along the Niagara River are labelled such as: Canby’s Mills, Burches Mills and Wilson’s house. Niagara Falls is detailed with shading. Arrows have been drawn in the river indicating the direction of the flow of water towards Niagara Falls. Handwritten text below the title reads: “Surveyed by John Stegman Deputy Surveyor, 1797 Copy J.G. Chewett Surveyor General Office 17th May 1836.” Further notations and dates are written on the map.
    • Sketch of part of the Niagara River, shewing the portion of Ordnance Chain Reserve

      Alexander Gordon; W. T. Renwick; Great Britain. Army. Corps of Royal Engineers. (1852)
      Historic map showing the area along the bank of the Niagara River from Niagara Falls to the Niagara Suspension Bridge at Queenston. Full title and subtitle text reads as follows: “Sketch of part of the Niagara River, shewing the portion of Ordnance Chain Reserve, colored Red, applied for by the St. Catherines, Thorold, & Suspension Bridge Road Company 27/9/52”. Also given on the map are the heights of cliffs on both sides of the river, roadways, and distances. Other features shown are: Gen. Brock’s Monument, Steamboat Landing, Clifton House, Goat Island, Navy Island and Grand Island. A boundary line is shown in the Niagara River. Relief is shown with shading and depths are shown by soundings.
    • Topographic Map of the Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. ([Washington?] : U.S. Geological Survey,, 1913)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Gorge. North is oriented to the top. The Niagara River and Niagara Falls are shown with Canada to the west of the river and the United States to the east. The border line running through the centre of the river is indicated. Major roadways, transportation routes including railways, and hydrological features are shown. Buildings are also shown but not labelled, with the exception of some major buildings such as; schools, city hall’s, libraries, armouries and rail road stations. Relief is shown by contours and spot heights.
    • Welland Ship Canal – General Plan of Ship Canal

      Welland Ship Canal Office (St. Catharines, Ont.); H. F. Marten (1925)
      Historic map showing the First, Second and Third Welland Canal routes and the route of the “future” Fourth Welland Canal. Text below the titled indicates the map was “made from Photostat reproductions of general plans of sections, the militia map, etc.” North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario. Two different entrances to the Welland Canal routes are shown at Port Weller and Port Dalhousie and the canal routes end in the south at Port Colborne. County and township boundaries are shown, cities and towns are labelled. Lots, concessions, roads, railways and industrial buildings and churches are also shown. Some lots are marked by the land owners name. Above the map is a cross section or profile of the Welland Ship Canal indicating elevation changes between Lakes Erie and Ontario. Text indicates that the map was owned by the “Office of Engineer in Charge, St. Catharines. Ont.” Relief is shown by contours and hachures.