• Montebello Park, St. Catharines, Ont.

      Frederick Law Olmsted (1887)
      Historic map showing Frederick Law Olmsted’s design for Montebello Park in St. Catharines, the first public park in the city’s downtown. The park is bordered by Ontario Street, Lake Street, Queen Street and Midland Street. A pavilion is shown near the centre of the park with pathways leading to it from each street. A baseball diamond is shown at the north corner of the park and tennis courts at the south corner. Trees line the streets and pathways. Handwritten dates and notations are visible.
    • Plan of lands selected to be set apart for the Niagara Falls Park

      Legislature of the Province of Ontario (Toronto : [Executive Council of Ontario], 1885)
      Historical map showing Niagara Falls, the Niagara River and the boundaries of the Niagara Falls Park. As indicated directly below the main title of the map, the park was “authorized by the Legislature of the Province of Ontario by an act entitled – The Niagara Falls Park Act being 48 vic. cap. 21.” Further handwritten information reads as follows: “We hereby certify that the tract of land selected by as for the Niagara Falls Park is that included between the red line laid down on this map and the international boundary line in the Niagara River”, signed by three commissioners whose names are indecipherable. “The selection shown by this plan is approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council by order dated 14th day of December 1885 [signature] Clerk of the Executive Council of Ontario.”
    • Queen Victoria Park, Niagara Falls

      Copp, Clark Co. Ltd., Lith, Toronto (Niagara Falls : Superintendents Office., 1896)
      Historic map showing the location of Queen Victoria Park in Niagara Falls. The park runs adjacent to the Niagara River beginning at The Clifton House and continues south past Dufferin Islands. Notations within the parkland indicate paths, playground and picnic ground areas, electric railway route, fountains and horse troughs. Table Rock is also noted within the mark adjacent to Horse Shoe Falls. The map also shows boundaries, streets, transportation routes, cultural and tourist features in Niagara Falls. The international boundary between the United States and Canada is shown by a dotted line running directly through the centre of the Niagara River. On the United States side of the river, islands and streets are shown. There are also textual notations providing information about the river rapids and the quantity of water passing over the falls as well as indications of the upper line breakers and the route of the Maid of the Mist. A notation on the map indicates this map was used by the “Superintendents Office, Niagara Falls Feb. 1896.”