• A sketch of the Military Reserve about Navy Hall, shewing (in red margin) the land petitioned for by the Mayor and Corporation of the Town of Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore; Copy R. I. Pilkington (1852)
      Historical map showing streets, lot numbers, landowner's names and select buildings including Navy Hall, Butlers Barracks, hospital and Fort George."(signed) F.F. Passmore. Provincial Surveyor, Toronto. Niagara, August 26, 1852. Copy R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman, 25 Sept. 1852."Digital reproduction of map (17 1/4 x 21 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4216 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Canada, Niagara Verification Plan

      Surveyed by F. F. Passmore; Verified by Berdoe A. Wilkinson and; Nelson Walker (1853)
      Historic map showing of the Township of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented at the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Shewing the Boundaries as marked on the ground, of the Military Reserves belonging to the Ordnance, in the Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. F.F. Passmore-Prov’l Land Surveyor, between the months of February & June 1852, & verified by Lieu’t Berdoe A. Wilkinson, Rl. Eng’rs, & Mr. Nelson Walker, Surv’r & Dfts. Rl. Engin’r Dept.” Signatures of Surveyors date the map in 1853. Below the title text is a table of contents, reference legend and scale. Further notations are made at various points on the map. The map shows boundaries, streets, lots and concessions labelled by numbers or with the owner’s name. Some are granted lots, labelled with the grantees name. The Mississagua (sic) reserve and Fort Mississagua are shown adjacent to Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River. Further east is the Ruins of Fort George and a portion of land with buildings and a pond labelled: “Dock Company Land.” The southern section of the map shows Garrison Reserve land and Butlers Barracks. An inset plan shows details of Fort Mississagua at a scale of one chain to one inch. The top left corner of the map includes notations about the map and historical information about Fort George and the battle during the War of 1812 where Sir Isaac Brock fell. Further notations detail barrack accommodations at Niagara.
    • Fort Erie, Bertie, plan of Military Reserve

      W. T. Renwick; Anthony Reynolds Vyvian Crease (1852)
      Historical map created for the Buffalo Railroad Company in 1852 to outline a proposed new railroad in Fort Erie, which would cut through military reserve land. Text below the title reads: “Land applied for by the Brantford & Buffalo Railroad Company coloured yellow and green 2368 feet in length. Line of proposed railroad marked in yellow across the reserve. Part coloured green applied for by Mr. Thomson for the purposes of extending his mill race & other improvements."
    • Military Reserve at Queens Town, Niagara

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830; Henry Lizars; S. P. (Samuel Proundfoot) Hurd, b. 1793; Thomas George William Eaststaff, 1772-1854 (Toronto : Surveyor General's Office, 1835)
      Historic plan showing proposed alterations to the land located at the west side of the Niagara River. North is oriented to the top. Descriptive text above the title outlines the purpose of this plan: “Plan shewing the Ground reserved for Government at the Landing place on the West side of the Niagara River; and the proposed situation for Wharf, Stores & ca.” Rods and proposed roads are shown as are land boundaries. Some buildings are shown. Various notations about proposed alterations / additions are present.
    • No. 6 Plan of, Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec : Royal Engineers Office, 1817-1818)
      Reproduction of map showing military forts located in the now Niagara-on-the-Lake, dated May 2nd, 1817. Map shows land masses on either side of the Niagara River, adjacent to Lake Ontario. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. The location of two towers, outbuildings and a magazine are specified. Fort George can be seen at the edge of the Niagara River with the arrangement of the fort walls, out buildings, and Navy Hall detailed. Butlers Barracks is also shown at the centre of the Niagara land mass, adjacent to a commons quarters and an Indian Council House. A red line cuts across the west end indicating the “Boundary of Military”. Another red dashed line indicates a “New Proposed military Reserve a,b,c,d&e”. Various roads, forests, farms, buildings, and a church are artistically rendered as well as topographical relief details using hachures, lines and illustrations. The map is stamped with a red seal: “Inspector General of Fortifications”. Hand written notations serve as a legend located above the title of the map.
    • Plan of Fort Erie, Town & Military Reserve

      William Wallace, 1805-1887; Alex Gordon (1853)
      Historic plan showing Fort Erie where the Niagara River meets Lake Erie. North is oriented to the right. Military Reserve land is shown along with the ruins of the old military fort. An ordnance boundary line is indicated. The Brantford and Buffalo Railroad line is shown running from the west boundary line toward the Niagara River. A small portion of the town is divided into three lots numbered 1 to 3. Some buildings are shown along the shore of the river but only a mill and ferry wharf are identified. Relief is shown by hachures. The plan is signed by William Wallace, Engineer, and a notation below the scale reads: “Forwarded with my report of 1st February 1853. Alexr. Gordon Lt. Col. Royal Engineers.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineers.
    • Plan of the Reserve from the Chippewa to the Table Rock

      John Stegman; James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1797)
      Historical map showing land adjacent to the Niagara River from the Chippewa River to Niagara Falls, and Table Rock. Roads, multiple islands and shoals are also shown. On the land adjacent to where the Chippewa River meets the Niagara River is a section of property labelled “Military Land”. Various buildings and streets are shown as well as two larger buildings labelled “Garrison” and “Fairbankshouse”. A bridge is shown crossing the Chippewa River, connecting two roads, one of which runs parallel with the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and branching off into other roadways. At various points in the roadway are latitude and longitude coordinates. More buildings along the Niagara River are labelled such as: Canby’s Mills, Burches Mills and Wilson’s house. Niagara Falls is detailed with shading. Arrows have been drawn in the river indicating the direction of the flow of water towards Niagara Falls. Handwritten text below the title reads: “Surveyed by John Stegman Deputy Surveyor, 1797 Copy J.G. Chewett Surveyor General Office 17th May 1836.” Further notations and dates are written on the map.
    • Plan of towns of Niagara and Newark and adjacent military reserves

      Gustavus Nicolls (1833)
      Historic map of Niagara-on-the-Lake showing lots, some of which are labelled with lot numbers, buildings and roadways. Military land and buildings, Fort George and Fort Mississague [sic], as well as a hospital and English Church and burying ground are also shown. The Town of Newark is shown with minimal detail. A large piece of land adjacent to Fort George is labelled “Military Reserve.” Handwritten text on the map reads: “Royal Engineers Office Quebec 20th April 1833 – Gusts Nicolls Colonel (?) Engineer Canada.”
    • Plan Shewing the Survey of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1831

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862; (1831)
      Historic map of military reserve land in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Lake Ontario and the Niagara River are shown at the north side of the land. The map shows lots, some of which are labelled by lot number, size or landowner name. Some lots are unlabelled. Some streets are named. Buildings and military yards are shown, such as: hospital, Navy Hall, fuel yard, engineers yard and guard house. Fort George and Fort Mississauga are both located at the north side of the town close to the bodies of water. There are three portions of land labelled A, B, C. Reference text indicates these portions are reserved for military purposes. Further text next to the reference information reads as follows: “Surveyed by Order of His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor Reserve exchanged for Land at Missisauga [sic] Fort”. Relief is shown in shading.
    • Sketch of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1835

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Thomas George William Eaststaff, 1772-1854 (Toronto, 1835)
      Historic map of the “Military Reserve at Niagara shewing the mode in which it is proposed to let the Ordnance premises now occupied by the establishment.” The map shows a section of the Town of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the cross streets Queen and King. Military buildings such as Navy Hall, artillery barrack’s and officers’ quarters are shown, as are military forts such as Fort George and Fort Mississagua (sic). The land is divided into lots, some of which are labelled. Land grants are indicated: “Granted to Catholic Church” and “Granted to English Church”. Also of note are land occupancies: Niagara Harbour and Dock Company, and J. Crook's. A large section of land, divided into unlabeled lots has a written title: “Reserve – This part of the Reserve was laid out in Lots in 1796 by Lieut. Pilkington. R.E.” and “This uncleared part Chiefly Young Oak”. Handwritten text on the map reads as follows: “To accompany the Report of the Commanding Royal Engineer to His Excellency the Lieut. Governor of Upper Canada on the subjects of the Military Reserve dated 10th July 1836. Copy of a Plan sent with the Respective Officers Letter to Wm. Byham of 14th December 1835.”
    • The Military Reserve at Fort Erie 1819

      A. Walpole; Henry Vavasour (1819)
      Historic map showing military Fort Erie, and surrounding area. North is oriented to the right and the Niagara River is located at east. Boundary of Military Reserve at Fort Erie lines are shown west of the Niagara River. “American Lines” are shown beginning at the fort, extending south to Snake Hill. Land south of the fort is divided into sections with buildings shown but not labelled. More military lines are shown further north. Forested areas and vegetation are shown and relief is shown with hachures. Map is signed: “Niagara April 19th 1819 A Walpole …”