• A plan of the position of Queenston

      John Alexander; Henry Vavasour (1818)
      Historical map showing the plan of the Village of Queenston. It shows roads, boundaries of fields, relief, treed areas, ravines, wharfs, buildings, barracks, and the fuel yard. There is a note of the ‘position where Brock fell'.[signed] John Alexander, Lieut, Ryl. Engrs. and Henry Vavasour, Comg. Ryl. Engrs.Relief shown by hachures and shading.Geographic coverage from Niagara River to Village of St. Davids.Digital reproduction of map (76 x 87 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22750 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • A sketch of the Military Reserve about Navy Hall, shewing (in red margin) the land petitioned for by the Mayor and Corporation of the Town of Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore; Copy R. I. Pilkington (1852)
      Historical map showing streets, lot numbers, landowner's names and select buildings including Navy Hall, Butlers Barracks, hospital and Fort George."(signed) F.F. Passmore. Provincial Surveyor, Toronto. Niagara, August 26, 1852. Copy R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman, 25 Sept. 1852."Digital reproduction of map (17 1/4 x 21 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4216 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Ackermann’s Authentic Plan of Navy Island, the Village of Chippewa, and the Niagara River with the Principal Objects of Interest in the Vicinity of the Seat of War in Upper Canada.

      R. Ackermann. (London : R. Ackerman, 1838)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada and New York, divided by the Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. New York sits to the east of the river and Upper Canada to the West. The first Welland Canal is shown west of the River beginning at Port Dalhousie and ending in Crowland. Points of significance to the American-British War are noted on the map, including: Fort Niagara, Fort George, Brock’s Monument, Military Roads, Chippewa, Beaverdams and Fort Erie. Possessions of the British and of the United States are indicated with grey shading. Place names, township boundaries, roadways and hydrological features are labelled. Other significant geographical sites and features are noted, such as: Niagara Falls, the Whirlpool, Navy Island, and Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with hachures. A notation at the bottom of the map reads: “London, published 6th Feby 1838, by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St.”
    • Grantham Township no.3. 1791

      Jones, Augustus (Augustus Jones, 1791)
      Historical map showing the names of land owners, concession and lot numbers, notes. Copied from an original by Charles Chambers and Samuel Holland ; Signed Augustus Jones, 25th October 1791. "Map #9" in margin. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 49 cm.) in the Archives of Ontario. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of part of the Niagara River and place of the proposed harbour at Black Rock

      Historical map showing ferry crossings, pier, canals, Fort Erie, US side indicates upper and lower village of Black Rock. Geographic coverage from Lake Erie to Squaw Island. Digital reproduction of map (7 1/4 x 12 in.) in National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3173 by Map, Data & GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the Counties of Haldimand & Welland

      Canada. Dept. of Public Works (1858?)
      Historical map showing the boundaries of Haldimand and Welland Counties, which are situated between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Town boundaries within each county are indicated and labelled. Names of some of the towns have been handwritten in rather than typewritten. The locations of various waterways such as the Niagara River and Grand River are shown, as well as a railroad, however none are labelled.
    • Map of the Niagara District in Upper Canada

      W.A. Nesfield (1815)
      Historical map showing the Niagara District in Upper Canada, a section of land located between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Lincoln and Haldimand Counties are shown as well as the London District. Towns, villages, roads, bodies of water and waterways are labelled. Also shown on the map are Indian lands, forts such as Fort Niagara, Fort George and Fort Drummond, battle sites, and paths. Some houses are indicated with red markings and includes settlers names. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures and a road running at the top of the escarpment is labeled: “Road cut by Governor Simcoe.” Niagara Falls as well as the rapids north of Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading. Title information and a legend are in the bottom right corner. Text below the title reads: “by Lieutenant W A Nesfield drawn partly from Survey & from documents obtained from the Q: Mr. Gen.ls Department.”
    • Map of the town of St. Catharines, Canada West

      Marcus Smith, 1815-1904. ([S.l.] : Marcus Smith,, 1852)
      Historical map of the Town of St. Catharines, Canada West, 1852. Below the title is a paragraph describing St. Catharines, the importance of the Welland Canal, historical facts about its engineering and the vessels that passed through it at that time. The section of St. Catharines shown on the map includes St. Thomas’ Ward and St. Georges Ward. The first and second Welland Canals as well as locks 3-6 are shown. 12 Mile Creek and Dicks Creek are visible, both of which connect to the Welland Canal. Streets are labelled and lots are labelled with the name of the land owner. Some lots have visible lot numbers as well as buildings. Of importance are sections of land labelled as being owned by some of the prominent founding citizens of St. Catharines, including: Honourable William H. Merritt, Lewis Shikaluna [sic], Thomas R. Merritt, James R. Benson, Calvin Phelps, Elias S. Adams, Jacob Hainer, and J. P. Merritt. Lots and concessions are labelled without land owners indicated on the parcels of land surrounding the more populated section of St. Catharines. Road allowances are labelled at the north, south and west sides of the town. The Great Western Railway is shown at the south-west corner. A compass rose at the right side of the map indicates north. Text at the bottom left of the map indicates that it was lithographed at: “A. Kollner’s Lithc. Establt. Phila.” Relief is shown by hachures and landform drawings.
    • Map of the Villages of Niagara Falls, & Niagara City, New York : The Village of Elgin and the City of the Falls, Canada West

      Boston : J.H. Hufford's Lith., 1854?
      Historical map showing Niagara Falls, New York located to the east of the Niagara River and Canada West (now Ontario), to the west of the Niagara River. A dotted line runs through the centre of the Niagara River indicating the “National Boundary”. On the Canadian side of the river, the “City of the Falls”, current City of Niagara Falls, and Elgin are shown with main streets labelled as well as ownership of lots noted be last name. Streets and subdivisions are shown as well as. The Canadian and American Falls are labelled along with Goat Island and Bath Islands, which sit at the top of the falls in the river. The Erie and Ontario Rail Road is also indicated, running from the United States, over a bridge crossing the Niagara river and continuing north through Niagara Falls. Relief of the Niagara Gorge and Niagara Escarpment are shown with hachures and shading.
    • Map of Welland City, the property of the Welland Canal Loan Company

      J. Ellis (Toronto : J. Ellis, 1855)
      Historic map of Welland City, present day Merritton, Ontario, a community within the City of St. Catharines. Text describing the map reads as follows: “This Plot contains about 400 acres of land on the Welland Canal, at the Mountain descent, between Lakes Erie and Ontario, a Plan of which is exhibited in the Office of the Proprietors.” Text goes on to describe the types of industries and business that could be erected in that area and make use of the Welland Canal and power generated by Niagara Falls. The second Welland Canal is shown from locks 11-21. The map details plots of land separated into lots and concessions and labelled by number, as well as road and transportation routes including road allowances and the Great Western Railway. There is also an inset map of the Niagara District between Lakes Ontario and Erie.
    • Niagara River

      by Geo. Catlin. (1827?)
      Historical map of the Niagara River showing transportation and hydrological features, roads on either side of the river, place names, forts, "ancient shore of Lake Ontario", Brock's Monument."Estimate by Geo. Catlin in 1827".Digital reproduction of map (28 x 22 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 120091 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 3. Plan of comparison of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara on which it is proposed to erect a fortress

      R. H. Bonnycastle; E. W. Durnford (Quebec, 1827)
      Historical map of Short Hills showing relief features and outline of proposed fortressDigital reproduction of map ( 21 x 26 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22145 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Fort Erie, Town & Military Reserve

      William Wallace, 1805-1887; Alex Gordon (1853)
      Historic plan showing Fort Erie where the Niagara River meets Lake Erie. North is oriented to the right. Military Reserve land is shown along with the ruins of the old military fort. An ordnance boundary line is indicated. The Brantford and Buffalo Railroad line is shown running from the west boundary line toward the Niagara River. A small portion of the town is divided into three lots numbered 1 to 3. Some buildings are shown along the shore of the river but only a mill and ferry wharf are identified. Relief is shown by hachures. The plan is signed by William Wallace, Engineer, and a notation below the scale reads: “Forwarded with my report of 1st February 1853. Alexr. Gordon Lt. Col. Royal Engineers.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineers.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan of Military Reserve Land and Proposed Military Fort at Fort Erie

      1794?
      Historic plan showing military reserve land in Fort Erie which sits north of Lake Erie. A plan of the fort is shown which includes design and measurements of the fort walls along with buildings within the fort. Military land south of the fort is shown broken into lots and numbered. The measurements are shown in chains. More buildings are shown right on the shore of Lake Erie, one of which is labelled: “Kings Store House”. A road is shown running east to west and is labelled: “Road to Chippewa”. A cross-section diagram of the military line of Fort Erie is shown at the top of the plan. The plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications. Written in the top right corner is: “G. M. No. 41 1794”.
    • Plan of part of the Government Reserve at Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore (1853)
      Historical map showing streets and buildings including Butlers Barracks, Dock Company land and "ruins at Fort George"."Copied from the original by R.J. Beatson. Captain R.E., Quebec 12th April, 1853. (signed) F.F. Passmore, Provincial Land Surveyor, Toronto, March 24, 1853."Digital reproduction of map (17 x 21 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4214 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Port Dalhousie showing the present harbour & proposed improvements

      Lewis J. Lewis (1845?)
      Historical map of Port Dalhousie showing harbour features (including proposed new harbour with measurements), major roads, select buildings, some lot owner's names, locks of First Welland Canal.Digital reproduction of map ( 21 1/2 x 31 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 16937 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of the Niagara Frontier Shewing the General Line of the Welland Canal

      1840
      Reproduction of historic map created to accompany Lieutenant Colonel Phillpolls report on the inland navigation of the Canadas. The title and notation is typed within a scroll-like graphic, beneath which the following was handwritten: “with letter to the Inspector General dated 12 Feb’y 1840.” Map shows the Niagara Peninsula with a clear route of the First Welland Canal complete with the following details: “line prepared for steam boat navigation”; “Little deep cut”; “Reservoir”; “Deep Cut”, as well as bridges and aqueducts. The canal is shown leading from Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie, through St. Catharines, Thorold, Allanburg, Port Robinson and ending in Port Colborne at Gravelly Bay. Port Dalhousie is labelled with an outer harbor and inner harbor which lead into the Welland Canal. The map also shows the boundaries of townships including: Grimsby, Clinton, Louth, Grantham, Niagara, Caistor, Gainsboro, Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Canboro, Moulton, Wainfleet, Crowland, Willoughby, Humberston and Bertie. Shown below the Grand River is a small section of land labelled: “Indian Lands”. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures, stretching across the land mass near Lake Ontario to the United States. Near the Canadian and United States border, “Mississaga Fort”, the ruins of Fort George and the “American Fort-Niagara” are shown. Although the edge of the map is torn, remnants of the “Inspector General of Fortifications” stamp can be seen.
    • Plan of the Reserve from the Chippewa to the Table Rock

      John Stegman; James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1797)
      Historical map showing land adjacent to the Niagara River from the Chippewa River to Niagara Falls, and Table Rock. Roads, multiple islands and shoals are also shown. On the land adjacent to where the Chippewa River meets the Niagara River is a section of property labelled “Military Land”. Various buildings and streets are shown as well as two larger buildings labelled “Garrison” and “Fairbankshouse”. A bridge is shown crossing the Chippewa River, connecting two roads, one of which runs parallel with the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and branching off into other roadways. At various points in the roadway are latitude and longitude coordinates. More buildings along the Niagara River are labelled such as: Canby’s Mills, Burches Mills and Wilson’s house. Niagara Falls is detailed with shading. Arrows have been drawn in the river indicating the direction of the flow of water towards Niagara Falls. Handwritten text below the title reads: “Surveyed by John Stegman Deputy Surveyor, 1797 Copy J.G. Chewett Surveyor General Office 17th May 1836.” Further notations and dates are written on the map.
    • Plan of towns of Niagara and Newark and adjacent military reserves

      Gustavus Nicolls (1833)
      Historic map of Niagara-on-the-Lake showing lots, some of which are labelled with lot numbers, buildings and roadways. Military land and buildings, Fort George and Fort Mississague [sic], as well as a hospital and English Church and burying ground are also shown. The Town of Newark is shown with minimal detail. A large piece of land adjacent to Fort George is labelled “Military Reserve.” Handwritten text on the map reads: “Royal Engineers Office Quebec 20th April 1833 – Gusts Nicolls Colonel (?) Engineer Canada.”