• A sketch of the Military Reserve about Navy Hall, shewing (in red margin) the land petitioned for by the Mayor and Corporation of the Town of Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore; Copy R. I. Pilkington (1852)
      Historical map showing streets, lot numbers, landowner's names and select buildings including Navy Hall, Butlers Barracks, hospital and Fort George."(signed) F.F. Passmore. Provincial Surveyor, Toronto. Niagara, August 26, 1852. Copy R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman, 25 Sept. 1852."Digital reproduction of map (17 1/4 x 21 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4216 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Canada, Niagara Verification Plan

      Surveyed by F. F. Passmore; Verified by Berdoe A. Wilkinson and; Nelson Walker (1853)
      Historic map showing of the Township of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented at the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Shewing the Boundaries as marked on the ground, of the Military Reserves belonging to the Ordnance, in the Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. F.F. Passmore-Prov’l Land Surveyor, between the months of February & June 1852, & verified by Lieu’t Berdoe A. Wilkinson, Rl. Eng’rs, & Mr. Nelson Walker, Surv’r & Dfts. Rl. Engin’r Dept.” Signatures of Surveyors date the map in 1853. Below the title text is a table of contents, reference legend and scale. Further notations are made at various points on the map. The map shows boundaries, streets, lots and concessions labelled by numbers or with the owner’s name. Some are granted lots, labelled with the grantees name. The Mississagua (sic) reserve and Fort Mississagua are shown adjacent to Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River. Further east is the Ruins of Fort George and a portion of land with buildings and a pond labelled: “Dock Company Land.” The southern section of the map shows Garrison Reserve land and Butlers Barracks. An inset plan shows details of Fort Mississagua at a scale of one chain to one inch. The top left corner of the map includes notations about the map and historical information about Fort George and the battle during the War of 1812 where Sir Isaac Brock fell. Further notations detail barrack accommodations at Niagara.
    • Fort Erie, Bertie, plan of Military Reserve

      W. T. Renwick; Anthony Reynolds Vyvian Crease (1852)
      Historical map created for the Buffalo Railroad Company in 1852 to outline a proposed new railroad in Fort Erie, which would cut through military reserve land. Text below the title reads: “Land applied for by the Brantford & Buffalo Railroad Company coloured yellow and green 2368 feet in length. Line of proposed railroad marked in yellow across the reserve. Part coloured green applied for by Mr. Thomson for the purposes of extending his mill race & other improvements."
    • Plan of Fort Erie, Town & Military Reserve

      William Wallace, 1805-1887; Alex Gordon (1853)
      Historic plan showing Fort Erie where the Niagara River meets Lake Erie. North is oriented to the right. Military Reserve land is shown along with the ruins of the old military fort. An ordnance boundary line is indicated. The Brantford and Buffalo Railroad line is shown running from the west boundary line toward the Niagara River. A small portion of the town is divided into three lots numbered 1 to 3. Some buildings are shown along the shore of the river but only a mill and ferry wharf are identified. Relief is shown by hachures. The plan is signed by William Wallace, Engineer, and a notation below the scale reads: “Forwarded with my report of 1st February 1853. Alexr. Gordon Lt. Col. Royal Engineers.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineers.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan of Military Reserve Land and Proposed Military Fort at Fort Erie

      Historic plan showing military reserve land in Fort Erie which sits north of Lake Erie. A plan of the fort is shown which includes design and measurements of the fort walls along with buildings within the fort. Military land south of the fort is shown broken into lots and numbered. The measurements are shown in chains. More buildings are shown right on the shore of Lake Erie, one of which is labelled: “Kings Store House”. A road is shown running east to west and is labelled: “Road to Chippewa”. A cross-section diagram of the military line of Fort Erie is shown at the top of the plan. The plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications. Written in the top right corner is: “G. M. No. 41 1794”.
    • Plan of the Military Reserve at Queenston

      A. Walpole; Henry Vavasour (1819)
      Historic map showing the Military Reserve at the Village of Queenston. Map is oriented with north to the bottom. The military reserve is located along the shoreline from the Niagara River, west to a road that leads to St. David’s. Two lots are labelled with the land owners names: “Dickson’s” and “Secord’s”. A boundary line in the south is labelled “Chisham’s Enclosure”. Other lines are labelled with latitude and longitude coordinates. Also shown are buildings, Government Wharf and relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan shewing the Situation & Dimensions proposed for building Lots for Merchants & Traders on the King’s reserved Land at Fort Erie in the Province of Upper Canada

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830; James Green; Robert Prescott (1798)
      Historic plan showing a portion of Fort Erie including King’s reserved land and military Fort Erie. North is oriented to the right and the Niagara River is shown at east, but not labelled. Military Fort Erie and a store house are shown on the bank of the Niagara River. South of the fort the land is divided into lots and are identified by number or by land owners name. The plan is signed by authors: “Gother Mann Col. Commd. Rl. Engr. Quebec 30th June 1798” and “By order of the Commander in Chief (Signed) James Green (?) Secry”. The plan was also signed by Robert Prescott which marks it as being approved. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan shewing the situation and dimensions approved for building lots for merchants and traders on the King's reserved land at Fort Chippewa in Upper Canada. 1798

      Gother Mann (1798)
      Scale [ca. 1:1,188]. "W. Hall Lt Rl Ary, [signed] Gother Mann COll Commandg Rl Engrs." Digital reproduction of map (34 x 49 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Relief shown by hachures. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 C45 1798 P53 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • The Military Reserve at Fort Erie 1819

      A. Walpole; Henry Vavasour (1819)
      Historic map showing military Fort Erie, and surrounding area. North is oriented to the right and the Niagara River is located at east. Boundary of Military Reserve at Fort Erie lines are shown west of the Niagara River. “American Lines” are shown beginning at the fort, extending south to Snake Hill. Land south of the fort is divided into sections with buildings shown but not labelled. More military lines are shown further north. Forested areas and vegetation are shown and relief is shown with hachures. Map is signed: “Niagara April 19th 1819 A Walpole …”