• Ackermann’s Authentic Plan of Navy Island, the Village of Chippewa, and the Niagara River with the Principal Objects of Interest in the Vicinity of the Seat of War in Upper Canada.

      R. Ackermann. (London : R. Ackerman, 1838)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada and New York, divided by the Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. New York sits to the east of the river and Upper Canada to the West. The first Welland Canal is shown west of the River beginning at Port Dalhousie and ending in Crowland. Points of significance to the American-British War are noted on the map, including: Fort Niagara, Fort George, Brock’s Monument, Military Roads, Chippewa, Beaverdams and Fort Erie. Possessions of the British and of the United States are indicated with grey shading. Place names, township boundaries, roadways and hydrological features are labelled. Other significant geographical sites and features are noted, such as: Niagara Falls, the Whirlpool, Navy Island, and Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with hachures. A notation at the bottom of the map reads: “London, published 6th Feby 1838, by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St.”
    • Map of part of the Niagara River and place of the proposed harbour at Black Rock

      Historical map showing ferry crossings, pier, canals, Fort Erie, US side indicates upper and lower village of Black Rock. Geographic coverage from Lake Erie to Squaw Island. Digital reproduction of map (7 1/4 x 12 in.) in National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3173 by Map, Data & GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the Niagara District showing the various cuts proposed for the Welland Canal, with a table of distances

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847. (1837)
      Historic map of the Niagara District showing Lake Ontario in the north and Lake Erie in the south and the Niagara River in the east. The First and Second Welland Canals are shown complete with Feeder Canal and an extension to Port Colborne. The map also shows the proposed cut to Port Maitland from the Feeder Canal, as well as rivers, creeks, and settlements. All of the town boundaries are shown and labelled. The escarpment is shown with hachures. The bottom left corner of the map has a diagram titled: “the Canal according to the present Levels.” and shows a scale of miles. The top right corner has a table of distances, indicating the distance to specific places via the Welland Canal and Feeder Canal.
    • Map of the town of St. Catharines, Canada West

      Marcus Smith, 1815-1904. ([S.l.] : Marcus Smith,, 1852)
      Historical map of the Town of St. Catharines, Canada West, 1852. Below the title is a paragraph describing St. Catharines, the importance of the Welland Canal, historical facts about its engineering and the vessels that passed through it at that time. The section of St. Catharines shown on the map includes St. Thomas’ Ward and St. Georges Ward. The first and second Welland Canals as well as locks 3-6 are shown. 12 Mile Creek and Dicks Creek are visible, both of which connect to the Welland Canal. Streets are labelled and lots are labelled with the name of the land owner. Some lots have visible lot numbers as well as buildings. Of importance are sections of land labelled as being owned by some of the prominent founding citizens of St. Catharines, including: Honourable William H. Merritt, Lewis Shikaluna [sic], Thomas R. Merritt, James R. Benson, Calvin Phelps, Elias S. Adams, Jacob Hainer, and J. P. Merritt. Lots and concessions are labelled without land owners indicated on the parcels of land surrounding the more populated section of St. Catharines. Road allowances are labelled at the north, south and west sides of the town. The Great Western Railway is shown at the south-west corner. A compass rose at the right side of the map indicates north. Text at the bottom left of the map indicates that it was lithographed at: “A. Kollner’s Lithc. Establt. Phila.” Relief is shown by hachures and landform drawings.
    • Map of Welland City, the property of the Welland Canal Loan Company

      J. Ellis (Toronto : J. Ellis, 1855)
      Historic map of Welland City, present day Merritton, Ontario, a community within the City of St. Catharines. Text describing the map reads as follows: “This Plot contains about 400 acres of land on the Welland Canal, at the Mountain descent, between Lakes Erie and Ontario, a Plan of which is exhibited in the Office of the Proprietors.” Text goes on to describe the types of industries and business that could be erected in that area and make use of the Welland Canal and power generated by Niagara Falls. The second Welland Canal is shown from locks 11-21. The map details plots of land separated into lots and concessions and labelled by number, as well as road and transportation routes including road allowances and the Great Western Railway. There is also an inset map of the Niagara District between Lakes Ontario and Erie.
    • [Plan of a portion of the Welland Canal at Humberstone, Lot No. 26, 3rd Con.]

      W.G. Thompson (1878)
      Historical map showing the canal at lot no. 26, towing path, back ditch, measurements, road allowance. Relief shown by hachures. Scale 1 inch to 4 chains. Map date: 1878. Title supplied by Public Archives of Canada. Digital reproduction of map (8 1/4 x 14 1/2 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168601 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Plan of a portion of the Welland Canal, Lot No. 26, 3rd Con.]

      George Gibson (1882)
      Historical map showing the canal at lot no. 26, public works boundary, back ditch, measurements. Map date: 1882. Signed: Certified Geo. Gibson, P.L. Surveyor, Feby. 15th, 1882. Title supplied by Public Archves of Canada.Digital reproduction of map (8 1/2 x 20 1/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168602 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of lands required for the Welland Canal on Lots 5 & 6, Cons. 10 and Lots 7 & 6 Cons. 9 in the Township of Grantham.

      Thomas Monro (1873)
      Historical map showing lot and concession numbers, land owner names, canal lands. Map date: 1873 Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from e011168600 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Plan of part of Port Dalhousie harbour at the entrance of the Welland Canal]

      ; E. Gardiner (1892)
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal showing the east and west piers of the Port Dalhousie Harbour, the shoreline and the coal shoot. Scale: 1:2,400 Map date: 1892 Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168604 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Plan of the New Welland Canal, and boundary of canal property, Lot No. 16, 4th Con. Grantham]

      George Gibson (1883)
      Historical map showing the canal, Carleton and Geneva Streets, raceway, back ditch, proposed enbankment, lot numbers. Scale: 1 inch to 5 chains Map date: 1883. Title supplied by Public Archives of Canada. Digital reproduction of map (10 x 18 1/2 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168603 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of the Niagara Frontier Shewing the General Line of the Welland Canal

      1840
      Reproduction of historic map created to accompany Lieutenant Colonel Phillpolls report on the inland navigation of the Canadas. The title and notation is typed within a scroll-like graphic, beneath which the following was handwritten: “with letter to the Inspector General dated 12 Feb’y 1840.” Map shows the Niagara Peninsula with a clear route of the First Welland Canal complete with the following details: “line prepared for steam boat navigation”; “Little deep cut”; “Reservoir”; “Deep Cut”, as well as bridges and aqueducts. The canal is shown leading from Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie, through St. Catharines, Thorold, Allanburg, Port Robinson and ending in Port Colborne at Gravelly Bay. Port Dalhousie is labelled with an outer harbor and inner harbor which lead into the Welland Canal. The map also shows the boundaries of townships including: Grimsby, Clinton, Louth, Grantham, Niagara, Caistor, Gainsboro, Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Canboro, Moulton, Wainfleet, Crowland, Willoughby, Humberston and Bertie. Shown below the Grand River is a small section of land labelled: “Indian Lands”. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures, stretching across the land mass near Lake Ontario to the United States. Near the Canadian and United States border, “Mississaga Fort”, the ruins of Fort George and the “American Fort-Niagara” are shown. Although the edge of the map is torn, remnants of the “Inspector General of Fortifications” stamp can be seen.
    • [Plan of Welland Canal from St. Catharines to Town of Thorold]

      1882
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal, showing streets, locks, lot numbers and owners' names, buildings, survey lines. Scale 1:2,376 Relief shown by hachures. Map date: 1882 Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168619 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Port Dalhousie. 1876

      H.R. Page (1876)
      Relief shown by hachures. Digital reproduction of page 77 of the Illustrated historical atlas of the counties of Lincoln & Welland, Ont ... H.R. Page, Toronto, 1876, reprinted 1971. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # MapAtl G 1148 L5 H123 1971, by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Rough sketch of the roads from Cayuga to Chippewa

      Richard John Barou; F.A. Mackenzie Fraser (1838)
      Historic sketch / map showing the southern section of the Niagara Peninsula. The sketch includes towns, creeks and roads. The purpose of this map was to indicate which roads were passable during each seasons, particularly in seasons where roads may be muddy. Sleigh roads, wagon roads, horse roads and foot paths are also labelled. The First Welland Canal can be seen beginning in Allanberg and ending in the south at Lake Erie. Mills, bridges, canals and main points of interest are labelled.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monroe (1873?)
      Historic map showing a section of Niagara from Port Dalhousie to Thorold with north oriented toward the right. Text below the title reads: “Reduced from Plan of Surveys made in 1870-1”. Handwritten text below the scale, by the author, reads: "Thorold, 22 Aug. 1873. Thomas Monro." The map shows the Second and Third Welland Canals, beginning at the harbor in Port Dalhousie, travelling to Thorold. Also shown are main roads, creeks, ravines, concession and lot numbers. The Great Western Railway line runs from east to west and the Welland Railway from north to south. The Township of Grantham, St. Catharines, The Township of Stamford and the Township of Thorold are labelled. Handwritten markings in blue pencil are at multiple places along the canal. Handwritten on bottom right corner of map: “R 410 – Welland Canal – 1873 From Ms Div. Sept. 23/1960.” Stamp on verso: "Map Division, Aug 26 1969, Public Archives of Canada." And “New Welland Canal 440”. Handwritten on verso: 4/410 - New Welland Canal - 1873, Topo plan - C 93.
    • Topographical map of the country lying between Thorold and Port Dalhousie shewing located line of enlarged Welland Canal

      Thomas Monro
      Historical map showing lines of the Second and Third Welland Canal from Thorold to Port Dalhousie harbour, line of escarpment, main roads, railways, creek ravines, lot and concession numbers, landowners names, townships. Map date: 1873. Digital reproduction of map LAC e011168609 in the Public Archives of Canada. Relief shown by shading Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Village of Port Dalhousie map sheet from the Welland Canal Book 1]

      1850?
      Historical map is Map 1 from the Welland Canal Book 1, showing Port Dalhousie's roads, buildings, dry dock and Lock 1 of the First and Second Welland Canal. Includes lot and concession numbers, land owner names, buildings, the 'new' and 'old' harbour, the canal lock, towing path and measurements. Relief shown by hachures. Scale [ca. 1:2,461]. Map date: 1850. Digital reproduction of map from the "Welland Canal Book 1" located in the James A. Gibson Special Collections' St. Lawrence Seaway Archives. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 P66 1850 V55 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal Enlargement Plan shewing proposed deviation of Welland Railway in ravine behind Thorold Village

      Thomas Monro; John Page (1874)
      Historical map showing streets, buildings in the Village of Thorold, the Welland Railway and the Welland Canal. "Thorold, 15th June 1874. Thomas Monro. John Page., C.E. P. Works." Scale 1 in to 100 ft. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Relief shown by hachures. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168614 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal Enlargement, Land Plan, from Thorold to Allanburgh

      Geo. Gibson (1876)
      Historical map of the Second Welland Canal showing, streets, lot numbers, land owners, road allowances, railway. Scale: 1 inch to 3 chains. Map date: 1876. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168616 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Welland Canal enlargement, new line Thorold to Port Dalhousie : plan of lands between the town of St. Catharines and Port Dalhousie.

      Thomas Monro; John Page (1873)
      Historical map showing land ownership in area of proposed route for the Third Welland Canal. Gives names of landowner, lot numbers, small section of street plan of St. Catharines in Rolls Ave. and old Lake Road area. A chart indicates land required for canal purposes giving owner's name, lot and concession and approximate acreage. Relief shown by hachures. Scale 3 chains per inch. "Signed: Thomas Monro and John Page. Thorold, Aug. 1, 1873." Map Date: 1873. Library Archives Canada attributes this map to George Monro Gibson, though his signature is not on this version. Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library & Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from LAC e011168611 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.