Browsing Historical Maps of Niagara by Subject "Town of Newark"
Now showing items 1-1 of 1
No. 6 Plan of, Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.Reproduction of map showing military forts located in the now Niagara-on-the-Lake, dated May 2nd, 1817. Map shows land masses on either side of the Niagara River, adjacent to Lake Ontario. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. The location of two towers, outbuildings and a magazine are specified. Fort George can be seen at the edge of the Niagara River with the arrangement of the fort walls, out buildings, and Navy Hall detailed. Butlers Barracks is also shown at the centre of the Niagara land mass, adjacent to a commons quarters and an Indian Council House. A red line cuts across the west end indicating the “Boundary of Military”. Another red dashed line indicates a “New Proposed military Reserve a,b,c,d&e”. Various roads, forests, farms, buildings, and a church are artistically rendered as well as topographical relief details using hachures, lines and illustrations. The map is stamped with a red seal: “Inspector General of Fortifications”. Hand written notations serve as a legend located above the title of the map.