• No. 1. Sketch of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called The Mountain and on which it is proposed to construct The New Fortress.

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec, 1827)
      Historic map showing a portion of Niagara with vast ridges of elevation. This map provides unique notations in relation to the land features including forest, mountainous areas, and ravines. Relief is shown with hachures and shading and north is oriented to the right. Based on other maps (NMC-22144) the darker, horseshoe shaped section of mountain was known as “The Wellington Heights”. At the south-eastern tip of this range is a rounded area that leads to a longer line of elevation and forest. This area was known as “The Mountain”. Drawn within Wellington Heights is a plan for a new military fort. Paterson’s Farm and craters are labelled in this area. Farms, roads, school houses, and springs are indicated on the map. Map bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications and is signed by the author: "Royal Engineers Office. Quebec 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Comg. R. Engineers. Canada." "BB46"--in top right corner.
    • No. 18. Short Hills. Plan of the Ordnance Property Content called 200 A.

      Henry Vavasour; T. K. King (1851)
      Historical map showing the extent of property purchased in 1827 as a site for a fortress. North is oriented to the top. Text below the title reads: “This Property was purchased from Jacb. Wills in 1827 as a site for a Fortress.” The plan is divided into sections that have been cleared or not cleared and identifies the owners of the surrounding farms. Soil types and land clearances are noted. Land that had not been cleared is shaded. Roads are shown but not labelled with the exception of 6th Concession Road at west. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • No. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called the Mountain shewing those lots of grants of land in the 5th, 6th, & 7th concessions of the Township of Pelham in the County of Lincoln which are near the site of the new fortress as proposed in the report of M. General Sir James Carmichael-Smyth

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847.; Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec, 1827)
      Historic map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. Beginning at the east side of the map is the notation: “4 Miles to Deep cut Welland Canal”. A large section of relief, indicated with hachures is labelled “The Wellington Heights”. This area appears to be chiefly chestnut tree forests. Near Wellington Heights is King George’s Battery, Mt. Niagara and Chestnut Ridge. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. "Rl. Engineers Office. Quebec, 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Coun. (?) Rl. Engineers, Canada” is written in the bottom left corner and "R.H. Bonnycastle, Capt. Royal Engineers" is written in the bottom right margin.
    • No. 3. Plan of comparison of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara on which it is proposed to erect a fortress

      R. H. Bonnycastle; E. W. Durnford (Quebec, 1827)
      Historical map of Short Hills showing relief features and outline of proposed fortressDigital reproduction of map ( 21 x 26 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22145 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 8. Sketch of the Isthmus or Belt of Niagara shewing the situation of the New Fortress

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec (Province) : Royal Engineer's Office,, 1827)
      Historic map showing the Niagara Peninsula and depicts the site for a proposed fortress / military establishment at the Short Hills, on top of the escarpment in Pelham Township. North is oriented to the top towards Lake Ontario and the Niagara River and the United States is shown to the east. Boundaries, hydrological features, “Indian Lands” and towns are shown. The ridge of the Niagara Escarpment is labelled as the “Great Ridge” and height measurements are indicated as being from 4 to 500 feet. The route of the First Welland Canal is shown before the extension to Gravelly Bay, as well as part of the Feeder Canal before its completion, and other proposed routes for canals to Lake Ontario. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan no. 2. Plan of that part of the Short Hills, in the Niagara District called the "Mountain" showing the Lots or Grants of Land, quantity cultivated and remaining in forest, with the extent of the sectional lines but through the woods in levelling for Plan no. 3

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. ([1827])
      Historic map of a portion of land in Niagara featuring the “Short Hills” or “The Mountain” also known at that time as “Mount Niagara”. North is oriented to the right. The land is broken into portions and labelled with the owner’s name and the number of acres. Roads are shown but not labelled. A large section of relief, indicated with shading is labelled: “wood chiefly chestnut”. At the south of relief is Mount Niagara and 600 yards of forest and relief shown in shading, which leads to Mount Erie. Various other features are shown such as: buildings, farms, soil characteristics, forests and the types of trees they contain, businesses, mills, and a school-house. At the southern-most portion of the map is a cross road which has a few buildings and Rice’s Tavern. The road is labelled: “from Camboro 20 miles to Allanburgh 5 Miles, Falls 14 Miles.”