Browsing Historical Maps of Niagara by Subject "Seige, 1814"
Now showing items 1-3 of 3
Fort Erie as left by the EnemyThis historical map of Fort Erie is noted to have been “enclosed in Romilly’s letter to Lieutenant General Drummond, dated Chippawa 10 Nov 1814”. (This notation is taken from Library and Archives Canada therefore it is possible that the letter itself is in their possession). Samuel Romilly’s title was Captain Royal Engineers. The letter describes the conditions of the fortifications after a battle (during the War of 1812). The map itself is dated 11 Nov 1814.
Plan of the Attack made upon Fort Erie (Upper Canada) by the Right Division of the British Army, under the command of Lt. Genl. Drummond in August and Septr. 1814.Historic plan showing a portion of land in Fort Erie, bordered in the south by Lake Erie and east by the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom. At the south of the map Fort Erie is shown along with military lines/entrenchments and roads. Toward the north is an area of cleared land labelled: “The encampment of the British Army.” North of the encampment is another portion of cleared land labelled: “The Park of Artillery". The large majority of the map is forested. Two lines are shown in the Niagara River running from the river to a military location labelled: “No. 1 Battn.”. The southern-most line reads: “from Battery between Black-Rock and Buffaloe about 1500 yards.” and the line that is north of that reads: “from Black-Rock Battery. about 1700 yards.” Number 2 and Number 3 Battalions are shown south of the number one battalion. Plan is signed by the authors. Relief shown by shading and hachures.
Plan of the operations of the British Army, in front of Fort Erie, in the Months of August & Septembr., 1814 under the Command of Lieutenant General Sir Gordon Drummond, Knight Commander of Bath &c. &c.Historical map showing Fort Erie as it was when taken by the Americans. North is oriented to the bottom left. It depicts additional works raised by the American Army, Major Buck's Rd, and roads cut by the British Army. A British Camp is located north of Fort Erie. The map also shows entrenchments, fortifications, batteries and picquets, as well as, the position of troops. The Niagara River and Squaw Island are clearly marked. Black Rock is labelled on the American side of the river. Reference information is provided below the title. Relief shown by shading and hachures.