• Niagara, Sketch shewing the relative position of Forts Mississauga & Niagara

      Charles Walkem (Montreal, Que., 1853)
      Historic map showing the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. A dotted line running through the river shows the “Boundary between Canada & United States”. On the Canadian side of the river a small portion of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) is shown, from Ricardo Street to the shore. King Street and a few unmarked buildings are present. Further north-west is Fort Mississagua (sic). On the American side of the river Fort Niagara is shown. Mile notations are handwritten on the map within the river. The map was signed by the author in 1853. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississauga Point

      John Smyth (Quebec, 1816)
      Historical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Plan of Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec, 1823)
      Historic map showing military reserves in Niagara. North is oriented to the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Fort George and Fort Mississaga (sic) are shown on the Canadian side of the river and Fort Niagara is shown on the American side. Butlers Barracks is shown with its buildings numbered. Also shown is an Indian Council House and a hospital. A line running east to west to the south of the town (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) indicates a military boundary line. Unnamed streets, buildings and plots of land. Includes various proposed changes to Fort Mississauga. Letters and numbers have been added which are not on the original 1817 map by H.H. Willson. Relief is shown by hachures. Forested areas are also indicated.