• A sketch of the Military Reserve about Navy Hall, shewing (in red margin) the land petitioned for by the Mayor and Corporation of the Town of Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore; Copy R. I. Pilkington (1852)
      Historical map showing streets, lot numbers, landowner's names and select buildings including Navy Hall, Butlers Barracks, hospital and Fort George."(signed) F.F. Passmore. Provincial Surveyor, Toronto. Niagara, August 26, 1852. Copy R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman, 25 Sept. 1852."Digital reproduction of map (17 1/4 x 21 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4216 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Canada, Niagara Verification Plan

      Surveyed by F. F. Passmore; Verified by Berdoe A. Wilkinson and; Nelson Walker (1853)
      Historic map showing of the Township of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented at the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Shewing the Boundaries as marked on the ground, of the Military Reserves belonging to the Ordnance, in the Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. F.F. Passmore-Prov’l Land Surveyor, between the months of February & June 1852, & verified by Lieu’t Berdoe A. Wilkinson, Rl. Eng’rs, & Mr. Nelson Walker, Surv’r & Dfts. Rl. Engin’r Dept.” Signatures of Surveyors date the map in 1853. Below the title text is a table of contents, reference legend and scale. Further notations are made at various points on the map. The map shows boundaries, streets, lots and concessions labelled by numbers or with the owner’s name. Some are granted lots, labelled with the grantees name. The Mississagua (sic) reserve and Fort Mississagua are shown adjacent to Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River. Further east is the Ruins of Fort George and a portion of land with buildings and a pond labelled: “Dock Company Land.” The southern section of the map shows Garrison Reserve land and Butlers Barracks. An inset plan shows details of Fort Mississagua at a scale of one chain to one inch. The top left corner of the map includes notations about the map and historical information about Fort George and the battle during the War of 1812 where Sir Isaac Brock fell. Further notations detail barrack accommodations at Niagara.
    • Canada, Queenston

      William Hawkins, 1807-1868. (1854)
      Historic map showing the Village of Queenston, which sits on the west bank of the Niagara River within the County of Lincoln, Township of Niagara. Subtitle text reads as follows: “Plan shewing the Boundaries as marked, on the ground, of the Military Reserve belonging to the Ordnance, at the Village of Queenston, Township of Niagara, County of Lincoln, Canada West, as Surveyed by Mr. William Hawkins, Provincial Land Surveyor, in the months of Decr, 1853 & Jany and February 1854.” Below this text is a table of contents, reference table, scale charts and a textual description of the map. North is oriented to the right.
    • Niagara - 1853

      R. I. Pilkington (1853)
      Historic map showing military land and reserves at Fort George in Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Original explanatory text below the title “NIAGARA” had been scratched out, below which is further explanatory text, which reads as follows: “The portion tinted Red, containing about 96 Acres to be retained by the Ordnance. The portion edged Vermilion containing about 117 Acres is proposed to be given up for the settlement of the Pensioners, but the Southern boundaries being still in dispute, only the portion tinted yellow can at present be handed over to Lt. Col. Tullock to be settled at his discretion – The portion tinted Purple may be used by the Pensioners for Pasturage only, the limit may extend further to the N.E. when the boundary is settled with the Dock Co.- “, signed R. Pilkington Draftsman. The map bears the stamp of the Office of the Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Niagara [Township]. 1789

      Jones, Augustus (Augustus Jones, 1789)
      Map showing land ownership, concession and lot numbers. Includes additional numbers and comments printed or written in the margin and in the river and lake sections.
    • Niagara Township [Niagara Townsite]. 1910

      Niven, Alexander (Department of Lands, Forests and Mines, 1910)
      Map showing streets, boundaries, lot numbers, some land ownership names, parks, 'ruins of Fort George'.
    • Niagara Township, Plan B

      Quebec : Surveyor Generals Office, 1787?
      Historical map showing land ownership in Niagara Township. The map is broken down into lots and each lot is labelled with lot and concession numbers as well as the name of the individual that owns each piece of land. The Niagara River is shown where it meets Lake Ontario. Shown to the south of Lake Ontario is a large section of land that is labelled: “Land Reserved for the Crown.” A handwritten note in the bottom left corner of the map reads: “With M 25 State Papers Shubel Weldon papers about 1784 or earlier.”
    • Niagara, 1850

      R.I. Pilkington; Henry Vavasour (1850)
      Historic map of Niagara. Text below the title describes the map as follows: “Sketch of the Military Reserves extending from Chippewa to the debouché of the Niagara River into Lake Ontario, distinguishing in yellow such part of “the One Chain” in width on the top of the bank, as may be surrendered to the Provincial Government: the remainder tinted red being actually required for purposes of defense. As called for by the Military Secretary’s letter, dated 16th, May 1850.” Signed; R.I. Pilkington and Henry Vavasour. North is oriented to the right where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. Both the British and the American sides of the river are shown. Niagara and Stamford are divided into lots, some of which are numbered. At the mouth of the river Fort Mississagua and Butlers Barracks are shown on the British side as well as Fort Niagara on the American Side. Noted is the location for a proposed suspension bridge from Queenston to Lewiston. Another suspension bridge is marked closer to Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls, Goat Island, Navy Island and Grand Island are shown at the south end of the Niagara River. The map is stamped by the Canadian Commanding Royal Engineer’s Office.
    • Niagara, Sketch shewing the relative position of Forts Mississauga & Niagara

      Charles Walkem (Montreal, Que., 1853)
      Historic map showing the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. A dotted line running through the river shows the “Boundary between Canada & United States”. On the Canadian side of the river a small portion of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) is shown, from Ricardo Street to the shore. King Street and a few unmarked buildings are present. Further north-west is Fort Mississagua (sic). On the American side of the river Fort Niagara is shown. Mile notations are handwritten on the map within the river. The map was signed by the author in 1853. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Niagara. 1937

      Canada. Dept of National Defence (1937)
      Scale 1:25,000 "No. 507"--bottom left margin. Relief shown by contours. Digital reproduction of map (63 x 79 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Relief shown by contours. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 S35 1937 C35 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 6 Plan of, Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec : Royal Engineers Office, 1817-1818)
      Reproduction of map showing military forts located in the now Niagara-on-the-Lake, dated May 2nd, 1817. Map shows land masses on either side of the Niagara River, adjacent to Lake Ontario. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. The location of two towers, outbuildings and a magazine are specified. Fort George can be seen at the edge of the Niagara River with the arrangement of the fort walls, out buildings, and Navy Hall detailed. Butlers Barracks is also shown at the centre of the Niagara land mass, adjacent to a commons quarters and an Indian Council House. A red line cuts across the west end indicating the “Boundary of Military”. Another red dashed line indicates a “New Proposed military Reserve a,b,c,d&e”. Various roads, forests, farms, buildings, and a church are artistically rendered as well as topographical relief details using hachures, lines and illustrations. The map is stamped with a red seal: “Inspector General of Fortifications”. Hand written notations serve as a legend located above the title of the map.
    • No. V, Upper Canada Plan of Niagara

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)
      Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
    • No.17. Niagara. Plan of the Military Reserve, total of content called 479 acres

      Henry Vavasour; R. I. Pilkington; J. G. Kelly (1851)
      Historic map showing the Village of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Explanatory text below the title reads: “The Yellow and Green shade shews the extent of ground given to the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company by Act of Parliament passed 16th March 1831. The Green having always remained in possession of the Ordnance.” The Niagara River is shown at east. Fort Mississauga, the Ruins of Fort George and the layout of (the new) Fort George are shown. An “Old Guard House” is indicated adjacent to land and buildings which are labelled: “Royal Engr. Premises”. Main streets are shown and labelled. Land granted to religious organizations are noted as is the location of the town market. Other granted portions of land are indicated. Further south is Butlers Barracks, Commandants Quarters and a hospital. The map is signed by R. I. Pilkington, Draftsman. Relief is shown by hachures and shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississauga Point

      John Smyth (Quebec, 1816)
      Historical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Plan of a portion of the Town of Niagara shewing the lots adjoining Mississaugua Reserve which have been built upon, also the Lots which have been granted but not built upon.

      F. H. Baddeley (Toronto : Royal Engineer Office, 1837)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. Further descriptive text is noted below the title. The town is divided into lots and labelled with lot numbers and landowners names. Streets and some buildings are also indicated. A boundary line surrounding the military fort at Missaugua (sic) Point is labelled: “Reserve laid down according to a Plan signed Robert Pilkington Lieut. Royal Engineers dated 1796.” East of the reserved land is a section of land that is labelled as “Not Granted”. Further east are military yards, command quarters and a guard room. Other notations are made on various sections of land. A ravine is shown at the south side of the town. Relief is shown by shading. Plan is signed: “Royal Engineer Office Toronto 11th Nov. 1837 (Sd) Geo: Houghton Clerk of works”. Below this signature is the notation: “(?) forwarded to the Com’g. Roy’l. Engineer U. C. with Cap. Baddeley’s letter 11th Nov. 1837.” The plan is also signed: “(Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837" and "(Signed) F. H. Baddeley C. Royal Engineers. Capt & Major. Com'g. Roy'l Engrs, U.C. (Copy) Jno. Sloane, Clerk of works, Kingston, 17th Nov 1837." Plan bears the stamp of the Royal Engineers Office.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan of Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec, 1823)
      Historic map showing military reserves in Niagara. North is oriented to the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Fort George and Fort Mississaga (sic) are shown on the Canadian side of the river and Fort Niagara is shown on the American side. Butlers Barracks is shown with its buildings numbered. Also shown is an Indian Council House and a hospital. A line running east to west to the south of the town (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) indicates a military boundary line. Unnamed streets, buildings and plots of land. Includes various proposed changes to Fort Mississauga. Letters and numbers have been added which are not on the original 1817 map by H.H. Willson. Relief is shown by hachures. Forested areas are also indicated.
    • Plan of Niagara showing the boundaries of the Town according to the Act of Incorporation passed March 29th 1845

      unknown, author (unknown, 1845)
      Map showing streets, buildings, Butlers' barracks, Fort Mississauga and the ruins of Fort George.
    • Plan of part of the Government Reserve at Niagara

      (signed) F. F. Passmore (1853)
      Historical map showing streets and buildings including Butlers Barracks, Dock Company land and "ruins at Fort George"."Copied from the original by R.J. Beatson. Captain R.E., Quebec 12th April, 1853. (signed) F.F. Passmore, Provincial Land Surveyor, Toronto, March 24, 1853."Digital reproduction of map (17 x 21 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4214 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.