• Ackermann’s Authentic Plan of Navy Island, the Village of Chippewa, and the Niagara River with the Principal Objects of Interest in the Vicinity of the Seat of War in Upper Canada.

      R. Ackermann. (London : R. Ackerman, 1838)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada and New York, divided by the Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. New York sits to the east of the river and Upper Canada to the West. The first Welland Canal is shown west of the River beginning at Port Dalhousie and ending in Crowland. Points of significance to the American-British War are noted on the map, including: Fort Niagara, Fort George, Brock’s Monument, Military Roads, Chippewa, Beaverdams and Fort Erie. Possessions of the British and of the United States are indicated with grey shading. Place names, township boundaries, roadways and hydrological features are labelled. Other significant geographical sites and features are noted, such as: Niagara Falls, the Whirlpool, Navy Island, and Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with hachures. A notation at the bottom of the map reads: “London, published 6th Feby 1838, by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St.”
    • Areal geology, New York - Ontario, Niagara Gorge

      U.S. Geological Survey; Geological Survey of Canada. (U.S. Geological Survey, 1913)
      Historical map showing geological, road, transportation and hydrological features, buildings.Digital reproduction of map (118 x 44 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by contours and spot heightsGeoreferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Bridgewater Mills, 1807

      1807
      Historic map showing a portion of the Niagara River and a section of land near the Fort Erie reserve on the British side of the river. Oriented with north to the right, as indicated by a compass arrow. Eddy and current speeds are noted on the Niagara River. Old and new ferry routes are shown from Black Rock in the United States across the river to the British side are shown. Also indicated on the British side are handwritten points of interest along the river, including various inn’s, stores, and dwellings. Mills, a dam and an old mill race are labelled. The entrance to Lake Erie is labelled to the south.
    • Map of a part of the Niagara River and Plan of the proposed Harbor at Black Rock

      William A. Bird, 1796-1878 ([Albany, N.Y.] : Balch, Rawdon & Co. [Engraver/Printer], 1829)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River between “Squaw Island” currently known as Grand Island, and Lake Erie. North is oriented to the right. On the Canadian side of Lake Erie, south-west of the Niagara River is Fort Erie and Towsons Battery. On the opposite, south-east side is Buffalo Creek and a canal. In the mouth of the Niagara River is Bird Island. A line can be seen running from Squaw Island to Bird Island with a label “Experiment Pier”. East of the river are two portions of land. The northern portion is labelled: “Lower Village of Black Rock owned by Individuals” and the southern portion is labelled: “Upper Village of Black Rock owned by the State of N. York.” Another waterway is shown running east from the river at Squaw Island and is labelled: “Scoy-d hu-quad-ies Cr.” and there is a canal on the main land adjacent to the northern tip of the island extending north. Relief is shown by hachures. Handwritten text at the bottom of the map reads: “Taken from State Papers P.6. 1829.”
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 1. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hachures. 'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.'' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • [Map of Niagara River and Grand River] - part 2. 1815

      J. Bates (1815?)
      Scale [ca. 1:180,000] Oriented with north to the bottom. Watermark: 'J Bates 1812' Relief shown by hacures.'Map of Grand River &c. Map of River Niagara &c. &c.' - title used in 'Mapping Upper Canada 1780-1867' / Joan Winearls. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 80 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3462 N53 1815 M37 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of Niagara River at the City of Buffalo Shewing proposed Bridge Crossings & Ship Canal

      Maclear & Co. (Toronto, [On.] : Maclear & Co. Liths,, 1858?)
      Historic map showing a portion of the Niagara River beginning at Lake Erie and ending at Squaw Island. North is indicated with a compass arrow. Black Rock Harbour is shown to the East of Squaw Island and the Niagara River. The proposed Welland Ship Canal route is shown on the British side of the river with a text notation: “Ship Canal proposed as compensation for the destruction of River Navigation.” Buffalo, the Erie Canal and Buffalo Harbour are shown on the American side of the river. Depth is shown by soundings. Channel widths are also noted and the direction of water flow is indicated with arrows. Two river crossings are shown and are labelled: “Site of Bridge No. 1” north of Fort Erie, and “Site of Bridge No. 2” at Fort Erie. At the mouth of the Niagara River is a section labelled: “Horse Shoe Reef” with a notation: “Flashing Light erected under Treaty.”
    • Map of part of the Niagara River and place of the proposed harbour at Black Rock

      Historical map showing ferry crossings, pier, canals, Fort Erie, US side indicates upper and lower village of Black Rock. Geographic coverage from Lake Erie to Squaw Island. Digital reproduction of map (7 1/4 x 12 in.) in National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3173 by Map, Data & GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Map of the Niagara District showing the various cuts proposed for the Welland Canal, with a table of distances

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847. (1837)
      Historic map of the Niagara District showing Lake Ontario in the north and Lake Erie in the south and the Niagara River in the east. The First and Second Welland Canals are shown complete with Feeder Canal and an extension to Port Colborne. The map also shows the proposed cut to Port Maitland from the Feeder Canal, as well as rivers, creeks, and settlements. All of the town boundaries are shown and labelled. The escarpment is shown with hachures. The bottom left corner of the map has a diagram titled: “the Canal according to the present Levels.” and shows a scale of miles. The top right corner has a table of distances, indicating the distance to specific places via the Welland Canal and Feeder Canal.
    • Map of the proposed canal through the District of Niagara and Gore to form a junction of Lakes Erie and Ontario by the Grand River

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1823?)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Peninsula with proposed routes of the First Welland Canal. Routes go to Niagara River, Hamilton and various places along the Grand River. Some main roads, towns, rivers and creeks shown.Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by shading.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 19506 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Niagara Falls showing electric power developments

      1904
      Historical map showing international boundaries, hydrological features, streets, railroads, Electrical Development Company power houses, Ontario Power Company generating and distributing stations, Niagara Falls Power & Manufactoring Company power houses.Relief shown by hachures.Digital image provided by the University of Toronto Map and Library.Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Niagara River

      by Geo. Catlin. (1827?)
      Historical map of the Niagara River showing transportation and hydrological features, roads on either side of the river, place names, forts, "ancient shore of Lake Ontario", Brock's Monument."Estimate by Geo. Catlin in 1827".Digital reproduction of map (28 x 22 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 120091 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854. (Quebec, 1810)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan and Section of a Ship Canal from Lake Erie to the Niagara River at the Village of Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837?)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. Military reserve land is marked as are military boundary lines. The Erie Canal and a railroad from Buffalo to Blackrock are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan of a Canal between Fort Erie and Waterloo

      Thomas Roy (1837)
      Historic map showing an area of land in Fort Erie, extending to the Village of Waterloo. North is oriented to the top right. A ship canal is shown from Fort Erie to the Village of Waterloo running adjacent to Lake Erie and the Niagara River. Rapids are noted in the Niagara River as are characteristics of the river bottom and soundings. Fort Erie, military lines and other buildings can be seen along the canal and Snake hill is shown at the south. The Erie Canal and a railroad are shown on the American side of the Niagara River.
    • Plan of a Ship Canal from the Niagara River to the Welland Canal

      Thomas Roy (1837?)
      Historical map showing a proposed line for a canal from the Town of Niagara at the mouth of the Niagara River, to intersect the First Welland Canal at Thorold. Text indicates that map was created to accompany a report by Thos. Roy, January 6th, 1837. Sections of land are labelled: “Louth”, “Grantham” and “Niagara.” The Welland Canal is shown travelling from Lake Ontario to Thorold. A small section of land to the east near the Niagara River shows lots that are not labelled. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing Navy Island, Buckhorn Island and Grand Island. Shows the island four days after W.L. Mackenzie vacated after the Regellion of 1837; relief, trees, builldings, 'Rebel Hospital' shown on Grand Island and batteries located on Canadian side opposite Navy Island.Scale: 1 inch to 400 yardsDigital reproduction of map (9 1/4 x 14 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4202 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      1814
      Historic plan showing the Niagara River and land to the east and west sides of the river. North is oriented to the right at Lake Ontario and Lake Erie is shown at south. At Lake Onario, Fort Niagara and Mississague (sic) Point are shown. Other forts and points of interest are noted however much of the land is labelled as wooded area. Roads are labelled as are islands within the river. Relief is shown by hachures.
    • Plan of Niagara Frontier

      George Williams (Montreal, Qu. : Engineers Office,, 1814)
      Historic map showing military forts, landings, portage roads on both sides of Niagara River. North is oriented to the right. Buildings are shown at military forts and other locations along the river, however they are not labelled. Grand Island is a prominent feature on the southern portion of the plan. Niagara Falls and islands within the Niagara River are labelled. Relief is shown with hachures. The Plan is signed by its author.
    • Plan of part of the Niagara Frontier

      G. A. Eliott (1814)
      Historic map showing the area from 15 Mile Creek to Chippawa Creek at the Niagara River. North is oriented to the bottom at Lake Ontario. The escarpment is shown by shading. The map also shows roads, some houses which are labelled by the settler’s name, waterways, churches, mills, forts and battle sites. The Niagara River, Niagara Falls and Navy Island is shown to the east. Fort Niagara and Fort Schlosser are shown on the American side of the river and Fort George on the Canadian side.