• Map of the Niagara District in Upper Canada

      W.A. Nesfield (1815)
      Historical map showing the Niagara District in Upper Canada, a section of land located between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Lincoln and Haldimand Counties are shown as well as the London District. Towns, villages, roads, bodies of water and waterways are labelled. Also shown on the map are Indian lands, forts such as Fort Niagara, Fort George and Fort Drummond, battle sites, and paths. Some houses are indicated with red markings and includes settlers names. The Niagara Escarpment is indicated with hachures and a road running at the top of the escarpment is labeled: “Road cut by Governor Simcoe.” Niagara Falls as well as the rapids north of Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading. Title information and a legend are in the bottom right corner. Text below the title reads: “by Lieutenant W A Nesfield drawn partly from Survey & from documents obtained from the Q: Mr. Gen.ls Department.”
    • Map of the Niagara District showing the various cuts proposed for the Welland Canal, with a table of distances

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847. (1837)
      Historic map of the Niagara District showing Lake Ontario in the north and Lake Erie in the south and the Niagara River in the east. The First and Second Welland Canals are shown complete with Feeder Canal and an extension to Port Colborne. The map also shows the proposed cut to Port Maitland from the Feeder Canal, as well as rivers, creeks, and settlements. All of the town boundaries are shown and labelled. The escarpment is shown with hachures. The bottom left corner of the map has a diagram titled: “the Canal according to the present Levels.” and shows a scale of miles. The top right corner has a table of distances, indicating the distance to specific places via the Welland Canal and Feeder Canal.
    • Map of the Niagara, Gore, and Wellington Districts (including also the Southern Front of the Home District,) Canada.

      C. Rankin; Hall & Mooney (Toronto, Ont., 1845)
      Historic map “compiled from the township plans in the Surveyor Genl’s office”, completed in June, 1845. The map shows a section of the region in Southern Ontario known today as the Golden Horseshoe, which sits to the west of Lake Ontario, stretching south to Lake Erie. Niagara, Gore and Wellington districts are shown. Town and city boundaries are mapped with survey grids. Lots and concessions are labelled with numbers. Hydrological features and roads are also shown. Relief is shown by shading. A note at the left side of the map describes the Welland Canal, principal roads, villages other than those marked on the map and explains irregularly divided parcels of land which have not numbered.
    • Map of the proposed canal through the District of Niagara and Gore to form a junction of Lakes Erie and Ontario by the Grand River

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1823?)
      Historical map showing the Niagara Peninsula with proposed routes of the First Welland Canal. Routes go to Niagara River, Hamilton and various places along the Grand River. Some main roads, towns, rivers and creeks shown.Digital reproduction of map in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by shading.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 19506 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • No. 1. Sketch of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara called The Mountain and on which it is proposed to construct The New Fortress.

      Elias Walker Durnford, 1774-1850. (Quebec, 1827)
      Historic map showing a portion of Niagara with vast ridges of elevation. This map provides unique notations in relation to the land features including forest, mountainous areas, and ravines. Relief is shown with hachures and shading and north is oriented to the right. Based on other maps (NMC-22144) the darker, horseshoe shaped section of mountain was known as “The Wellington Heights”. At the south-eastern tip of this range is a rounded area that leads to a longer line of elevation and forest. This area was known as “The Mountain”. Drawn within Wellington Heights is a plan for a new military fort. Paterson’s Farm and craters are labelled in this area. Farms, roads, school houses, and springs are indicated on the map. Map bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications and is signed by the author: "Royal Engineers Office. Quebec 20th Nov. 1827, E.W. Durnford, Col. Comg. R. Engineers. Canada." "BB46"--in top right corner.
    • No. 3. Plan of comparison of that part of the Short Hills in the District of Niagara on which it is proposed to erect a fortress

      R. H. Bonnycastle; E. W. Durnford (Quebec, 1827)
      Historical map of Short Hills showing relief features and outline of proposed fortressDigital reproduction of map ( 21 x 26 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22145 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of the Niagara District

      Benjamin Spicer Stehelin (1840)
      Historic map showing the Niagara District bordered by Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the United States. North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. At the head of the title is: “No.42”. Below the title is an ink stamp which reads: “Commanding R. Engineer’s Office No. 95”. Towns are indicated along with waterways and roads. The route of the Second Welland Canal connecting Lakes Erie and Ontario. Some buildings are shown and labelled including; mills, taverns, schools, and farms. Military forts are labelled at the mouth of the river at Lake Ontario as well as the mouth of the river at Lake Erie. Natural features are also indicated such as the Niagara Escarpment, Niagara Falls, swamps and wooded areas. Relief is shown by shading and hachures. Unsettled sections of land are also labelled.