• Ackermann’s Authentic Plan of Navy Island, the Village of Chippewa, and the Niagara River with the Principal Objects of Interest in the Vicinity of the Seat of War in Upper Canada.

      R. Ackermann. (London : R. Ackerman, 1838)
      Historic map showing Upper Canada and New York, divided by the Niagara River from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. New York sits to the east of the river and Upper Canada to the West. The first Welland Canal is shown west of the River beginning at Port Dalhousie and ending in Crowland. Points of significance to the American-British War are noted on the map, including: Fort Niagara, Fort George, Brock’s Monument, Military Roads, Chippewa, Beaverdams and Fort Erie. Possessions of the British and of the United States are indicated with grey shading. Place names, township boundaries, roadways and hydrological features are labelled. Other significant geographical sites and features are noted, such as: Niagara Falls, the Whirlpool, Navy Island, and Grand Island. Relief is shown by shading and the Niagara Escarpment is shown with hachures. A notation at the bottom of the map reads: “London, published 6th Feby 1838, by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St.”
    • Plan of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing Navy Island, Buckhorn Island and Grand Island. Shows the island four days after W.L. Mackenzie vacated after the Regellion of 1837; relief, trees, builldings, 'Rebel Hospital' shown on Grand Island and batteries located on Canadian side opposite Navy Island.Scale: 1 inch to 400 yardsDigital reproduction of map (9 1/4 x 14 3/4 in.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4202 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Sketch of Navy Island

      1838
      Historical map showing road and buildings on Navy Island, Grand Island and Bulkhorn Island. This manuscript map shows Navy Island in relative position to the main land, Grand Island and Buckhorn Island. Details concerning batteries, strength of current and distances from shore to island are given. The map is similar to a signed (H.O. Dewley) and dated plan (Jan.19, 1838). As this is a mere four days after Mackenzie and his forces vacated the island, this map, as well as the other, reflects the military interest and activity in the area. The map bears the stamp of the "Royl. Engr. Office" and "No. 116".Scale 1:14,400 Map date: [1838] Digital reproduction of map (24.1 x 38.2 cm.) in the Public Archives of Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 4203 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.