• Chart of Lake Ontario

      Edward M. Hodder; W. F. W. Owen, 1774-1857; Lieut. William Herbert Fitz; A. Ford; W. C. Chewett & Co. (Toronto, On. : W. C. Chewett & Co.,, 1863)
      Historic map showing hydrological features of Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the top of the page. Sub-title text reads as follows: “Compiled from Surveys made by Capt. Owen & Lieut. Herbert, R.N. and Capt. A. Ford, U.S.N. with the Harbours and Ports of the Lake Surveyed by Edward M. Hodder, Esqre M.D. Commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.” Light houses are marked and a legend differentiates between lights that are white, red or revolving. Notations are made along the shore indicating geological materials of the water bed, such as: clay, stones, smooth rock, flat rock, and shoal. Islands, bays and points are also labelled. The Grand Trunk Railway runs along the north side of the lake and the Watertown and Rome Railway runs from north to south along the east side of the lake.
    • Port Dalhousie, situated at the termination of the Welland Canal, Lake Ontario

      Hawkins, William, 1807-1868 (1839)
      Historical map showing roads and buildings of Port Dalhousie, Village Dalhousie, Martindale Pond and the first Welland Canal. "Surveyed under the superintendance of Captain Mackenzie, R.E. by William Hawkins Dy. Survr. Jany 1839" Relief shown by shading and hachures. Depths shown by bathymetric soundings. Photoreproduction of the paper map by Public Archives Canada. National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada. Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 22720 by Map, Data & GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Shore line of Lake Ontario at Port Dalhousie

      Thomas Monro (Thorold, Ont. : Thomas Monro, 1883)
      Historic map showing the Lake Ontario shore line at Port Dalhousie. North is oriented left towards the lake. Text below the title indicates the time frame that the shore line map is representative of: “as it was in 1844” and “as it is now (1883)”. Although this is a black and white version, the original had the 1844 shoreline indicated in blue and the 1883 line indicated in red. Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal and the line of the First Welland Canal are shown. The Village of Port Dalhousie is labelled and Lock Street is shown beginning at the lake and running through Port Dalhousie to a tow path. Also shown on this map are various locations relevant to Welland Canal operations, including: Collector’s House, Sail Loft, Muir’s Dry Dock, Shore House, Collector’s Office, Weir, Wain and Andrews Dry Dock. A new harbor is located to the east of Port Dalhousie and a road to St. Catharines to the south. A note at the bottom of the map reads as follows: “Shore Line colored RED taken June 29th 1883. Level of Lake 14 feet on Mitre Sill of Old (2nd) Canal.” Signed: "Thorold, 2nd July 1883. Thomas Monro". "RG 43 vol. 804 Folder 85 #14848 (?)" written in top right margin and bottom right margin.