• Niagara - 1853

      R. I. Pilkington (1853)
      Historic map showing military land and reserves at Fort George in Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. Original explanatory text below the title “NIAGARA” had been scratched out, below which is further explanatory text, which reads as follows: “The portion tinted Red, containing about 96 Acres to be retained by the Ordnance. The portion edged Vermilion containing about 117 Acres is proposed to be given up for the settlement of the Pensioners, but the Southern boundaries being still in dispute, only the portion tinted yellow can at present be handed over to Lt. Col. Tullock to be settled at his discretion – The portion tinted Purple may be used by the Pensioners for Pasturage only, the limit may extend further to the N.E. when the boundary is settled with the Dock Co.- “, signed R. Pilkington Draftsman. The map bears the stamp of the Office of the Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • No. IV, Upper Canada. Plan of Niagara River

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854. (Quebec, 1810)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Niagara Falls. Text below the title indicates authorship and provides the date and location of creation: “Quebec 22d Decr. 1810.” North is oriented to the left at Lake Ontario. Fort George, Navy Hall, Messasague (sic) Pont, the Town of Niagara, lighthouses and churches are labelled. A portion of the land lying East of the river and south of Queenston is labelled: “Partially cleared and settled”. Various points along the river are labelled including the whirlpool, Niagara Falls, Horse-Shoe Falls, and Islands. Some roadways and proposed roads are indicated. Fort Erie is shown in the south at Lake Erie. Text in the bottom left of the map reads as follows: "This plan is from a survey by Lieut. Gray, assisted by some local surveys obtained on the spot. Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811, James Kempt Q.M. Genl N. America". Vegetation and forested areas are shown and relief is shown by shading.
    • No. V, Upper Canada Plan of Niagara

      A. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)
      Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississauga Point

      John Smyth (Quebec, 1816)
      Historical map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), west of the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the Bottom right. A proposed fort is shown at Mississauga Point. Buildings within the fort are labelled alphabetically, which correspond to a description of each building in the reference text below the title. The fort was to include the following: casemated cavalier, barracks for 700 men, guard house, solitary cells, orderly rooms, store house, bomb proof magazine, officers’ quarters, tower, battery’s, and a furnace for heating shot. Further south Fort George is shown as it was before the war and as it was after being altered by the Americans. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of a Fort proposed to be erected at Mississaugue Pt

      Gustavus Nicolls; J.B. Duberger, Jr. (Quebec, 1816)
      Historic map showing the Town of Newark (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. North is oriented to the bottom right. The focus of this plan are the military Forts at three different locations, specifically the plan of a for at Mississaugue Point. On the Canadian side of the river at the mouth of the lake is a plan for the proposed fort. The fort includes buildings which are labelled alphabetically. Below the title is a reference lists which outlines details of each building. This plan is quite similar to NMC-17884, however this particular plan includes the following notation regarding Fort Mississaugue: “Memorandum. The site of the Fort as shewn in this Plan is different from that marked on the ground in the Autumn of 1815, it having been placed further back from the Lake & the Tower brought into the center of the flat Bastion.” Further south Fort George is shown. A trench is shown extending from Fort George north and ending at a church. Text within the trench reads: “American Entrenchments thrown up in 1813.” Shown between the two forts, on the bank of the river are lots for merchants, shops and yards as well as engineer’s quarters. On the American side of the river, Fort Niagara is shown with buildings labelled alphabetically. A description titled: “State of Fort Niagara in February 1815” provides further details about each building. The map also indicates soundings for the Niagara River and Lake Ontario. At the right side of the map is a section titled: Section through ABCD.” Relief is shown in shading. A notation on the soundings is as follows: “The Soundings and Bar of Niagara are Copied from a plan surveyed and drawn by Mr. Chillingworth Master of H. M. S. St. Lawrence 1815.” Plan bears the stamp of the Office of Commanding Royal Engineer’s Canada.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan of Forts George, Mississaga and Niagara, the Military Reserves, and the Town of Newark.

      H. H. Willson; Henry Vavasour (Quebec, 1823)
      Historic map showing military reserves in Niagara. North is oriented to the bottom right toward Lake Ontario. Fort George and Fort Mississaga (sic) are shown on the Canadian side of the river and Fort Niagara is shown on the American side. Butlers Barracks is shown with its buildings numbered. Also shown is an Indian Council House and a hospital. A line running east to west to the south of the town (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) indicates a military boundary line. Unnamed streets, buildings and plots of land. Includes various proposed changes to Fort Mississauga. Letters and numbers have been added which are not on the original 1817 map by H.H. Willson. Relief is shown by hachures. Forested areas are also indicated.
    • Plan of the Ground on the West Side the Entrance of Niagara River Exhibiting the Reservations for Military Purposes

      1796
      Historic map showing the boundary of the military reserve in Niagara-on-the-Lake with north oriented to the bottom. Fort George is shown with buildings (planned or built), the presence of a marsh, and the relief of the area is indicated with shading. One section of texts reads: “This Reserve is bounded by the SE. Front of the Town to the Extent of 1400 Yards from the Summit of the Bank of the River. Then by a Line perpendicular to the said Front running S 55°E until it intersects the South Boundary being a Line due West from the River at the Distance of 1200 Yards from the High Land above Navy Hall.” Another piece of land is shown with boundary lines, within which the following text was written: “This Reserve is bounded on the SE by the Line of the Town to the Extent of 310 Yds: from the River; then by a Line running N 55°W until it intersects a Line due South from the River at the Distance of 400 Yds: measured on the Edge of the Bank from the Extremity of the SE Boundary.
    • Plan of the Mouth of the Niagara River, shewing the relative Situations of Forts George, Missisaga, and Niagara

      B. Darley Cranfield; George Philpotts, d. 1853; (1815)
      Historic map showing The Niagara River and both the American and British land on either side. Fort Niagara is shown at the very tip of the American side, where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. Also shown is a road labelled: “Road to Lewiston” which runs south, parallel the river from Fort Niagara. On the British side of the river the land is labelled “Town of Newark”, present day Niagara-on-the-Lake. Text accompanying the name of the town reads: “burnt by the American Army in the Month of Dec. 1813.” Fort Misisaga [sic] and Fort George are shown at the north side of Niagara. Directly beside the mouth of the Niagara River a small strip of land is labelled “Sand Beach.” In the centre of the beach is a wharf, the Reo Store and a ferry house. South of the ferry house is a shallow pond. South of the pond is a notation: “American Entrenchment thrown up in the Summer of 1813.” Multiple buildings are labelled on the map, most of which were for military purposes. Two waterways running from Lake Ontario through Niagara are labelled; One Mile Creek and Two Mile Creek. Further notations are made on various locations on the map indicating dates that buildings were destroyed by the American Army during the War of 1812.
    • Plan of towns of Niagara and Newark and adjacent military reserves

      Gustavus Nicolls (1833)
      Historic map of Niagara-on-the-Lake showing lots, some of which are labelled with lot numbers, buildings and roadways. Military land and buildings, Fort George and Fort Mississague [sic], as well as a hospital and English Church and burying ground are also shown. The Town of Newark is shown with minimal detail. A large piece of land adjacent to Fort George is labelled “Military Reserve.” Handwritten text on the map reads: “Royal Engineers Office Quebec 20th April 1833 – Gusts Nicolls Colonel (?) Engineer Canada.”
    • Plan Shewing the Survey of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1831

      James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862; (1831)
      Historic map of military reserve land in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Lake Ontario and the Niagara River are shown at the north side of the land. The map shows lots, some of which are labelled by lot number, size or landowner name. Some lots are unlabelled. Some streets are named. Buildings and military yards are shown, such as: hospital, Navy Hall, fuel yard, engineers yard and guard house. Fort George and Fort Mississauga are both located at the north side of the town close to the bodies of water. There are three portions of land labelled A, B, C. Reference text indicates these portions are reserved for military purposes. Further text next to the reference information reads as follows: “Surveyed by Order of His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor Reserve exchanged for Land at Missisauga [sic] Fort”. Relief is shown in shading.
    • Plan showing the situation & dimensions proposed for Building Lots for Merchants and Traders on the King’s reserved Land near Fort George in the Province of Upper Canada

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1802)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) with a focus on the King’s reserved land near Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right. The Niagara River is shown along the bottom of the plan. Navy Hall, a store-house and wharfs are shown on the bank of the Niagara River adjacent to the site of Fort George. On this plan only the site of Fort George is shown, not a diagram of the fort itself. Further north along the river the land is divided into lots and labelled with numbers and owner names. Military boundaries are shown along with roadways and unlabeled buildings. The plan is signed: “Submitted by Gother Mann Col. Command. R. Engr. Quebec 10th Novr. 1802.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Sketch of lower part of Niagara River, 1790

      1790
      Historical map showing two land masses. Oriented with north to the bottom right. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side at the lower end of the Niagara River adjacent to Lake Ontario. The opposite side is British land. There are multiple buildings including Navy Hall and Rangers' Barracks and a number of buildings which are not labelled. Mississauga Point is shown with a plan of fortifications, boundary of reservation, and reserve for a fort to the south [Fort George] with note "ground within 800 yards of the Fort to be reserved for Government". Roads are also shown on the British but are not labelled. Adjacent to “Rangers Barracks” is a label; “marsh overflowed in Spring”. At the opposite side of “Rangers Barracks” is land “commonly called Generals Fields”. Relief is shown by shading. Latitude of Niagara and other measurements are written at the bottom right of the map.
    • Sketch of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1835

      Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle, 1791-1847; Thomas George William Eaststaff, 1772-1854 (Toronto, 1835)
      Historic map of the “Military Reserve at Niagara shewing the mode in which it is proposed to let the Ordnance premises now occupied by the establishment.” The map shows a section of the Town of Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake) at the cross streets Queen and King. Military buildings such as Navy Hall, artillery barrack’s and officers’ quarters are shown, as are military forts such as Fort George and Fort Mississagua (sic). The land is divided into lots, some of which are labelled. Land grants are indicated: “Granted to Catholic Church” and “Granted to English Church”. Also of note are land occupancies: Niagara Harbour and Dock Company, and J. Crook's. A large section of land, divided into unlabeled lots has a written title: “Reserve – This part of the Reserve was laid out in Lots in 1796 by Lieut. Pilkington. R.E.” and “This uncleared part Chiefly Young Oak”. Handwritten text on the map reads as follows: “To accompany the Report of the Commanding Royal Engineer to His Excellency the Lieut. Governor of Upper Canada on the subjects of the Military Reserve dated 10th July 1836. Copy of a Plan sent with the Respective Officers Letter to Wm. Byham of 14th December 1835.”
    • The Military Reserve at Fort George

      Arthur Walpole; Henry Vavasour. (Niagara, 1819)
      Historic map showing Military Reserve land and fortification in Niagara (Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the bottom right. The Niagara River is shown to the east of Niagara. Military bases including Fort George, Fort Mississaugua and Butler’s Barracks are shown. Both the ruins of Fort George and the rebuilt Fort George are present. Commandant Quarters, an Indian Council House, Navy Hall, and Engineer establishment are also marked. Old military lines and the boundary of military land are marked. Town boundaries are shown but no details are shown on the land that is not related to the military. Relief is shown by hachures.