The system is in read only mode until at least the end of July 16th. Please check here for further details.
    • Niagara Township, plan A

      Quebec : Surveyor Generals Office, 1787?
      Historical map showing land ownership, lot and concession numbers, note."With W 25 State papers Shubel Welton Papers about 1784 or earlier"--in bottom left corner.Reproduction of map (19 x 14 3/4 in.) in National Map Collection. Library and Archives Canada.Georeferenced and modified from NMC Map number 3555 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Niagara Township, Plan B

      Quebec : Surveyor Generals Office, 1787?
      Historical map showing land ownership in Niagara Township. The map is broken down into lots and each lot is labelled with lot and concession numbers as well as the name of the individual that owns each piece of land. The Niagara River is shown where it meets Lake Ontario. Shown to the south of Lake Ontario is a large section of land that is labelled: “Land Reserved for the Crown.” A handwritten note in the bottom left corner of the map reads: “With M 25 State Papers Shubel Weldon papers about 1784 or earlier.”
    • Plan of the River from Niagara to Fort Schlosser

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1788)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Fort Schlosser, located east of Niagara Falls. North is oriented to the right. Niagara Falls and the rapids are labelled within the Niagara River. Fort Niagara is shown at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. Hydrological features are shown but not labelled. The Niagara Escarpment and relief shown in shading. Text written next to the title reads: “Quebec 6th Decr. 1788. Gother Mann Captn. Command A.(?) Engn.”
    • Niagara [Township]. 1789

      Jones, Augustus (Augustus Jones, 1789)
      Map showing land ownership, concession and lot numbers. Includes additional numbers and comments printed or written in the margin and in the river and lake sections.
    • Sketch of Kingston and Frederick Point

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1789?)
      Historic map / sketch showing the city of Kingston, Frederick Point and surrounding waterways and islands. North is oriented to the top. Kingston is shown at west. Text within the Kingston land mass reads: “The coloured part of this Sketch shows the ground to be Surveyed Two hundred feet to an inch.” East of Kingston is the Cataraqui Harbor (present day Kingston Harbour) and Frederick Point. At the northern portion of Frederick Point, text reads: “Ground for Building Lots”. Haldimand Cove (present day Navy Bay) is shown east of Frederick Point and West of Point Henry. East of Point Henry is Hamilton Cove. East of Hamilton Cove are two islands labelled: “I. au Cedar” and “Petite I. au Cedar”. Depth soundings are shown in both Cataraqui Harbour and the mouth of Haldimand Cove. An arrow with text: “Magnetic North” is at the right side of the map. “12” is on a label in the bottom right margin.
    • Sketch of lower part of Niagara River, 1790

      1790
      Historical map showing two land masses. Oriented with north to the bottom right. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side at the lower end of the Niagara River adjacent to Lake Ontario. The opposite side is British land. There are multiple buildings including Navy Hall and Rangers' Barracks and a number of buildings which are not labelled. Mississauga Point is shown with a plan of fortifications, boundary of reservation, and reserve for a fort to the south [Fort George] with note "ground within 800 yards of the Fort to be reserved for Government". Roads are also shown on the British but are not labelled. Adjacent to “Rangers Barracks” is a label; “marsh overflowed in Spring”. At the opposite side of “Rangers Barracks” is land “commonly called Generals Fields”. Relief is shown by shading. Latitude of Niagara and other measurements are written at the bottom right of the map.
    • Grantham Township no.3. 1791

      Jones, Augustus (Augustus Jones, 1791)
      Historical map showing the names of land owners, concession and lot numbers, notes. Copied from an original by Charles Chambers and Samuel Holland ; Signed Augustus Jones, 25th October 1791. "Map #9" in margin. Digital reproduction of map (33 x 49 cm.) in the Archives of Ontario. Georeferenced and modified by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Military Reserve Land and Proposed Military Fort at Fort Erie

      1794?
      Historic plan showing military reserve land in Fort Erie which sits north of Lake Erie. A plan of the fort is shown which includes design and measurements of the fort walls along with buildings within the fort. Military land south of the fort is shown broken into lots and numbered. The measurements are shown in chains. More buildings are shown right on the shore of Lake Erie, one of which is labelled: “Kings Store House”. A road is shown running east to west and is labelled: “Road to Chippewa”. A cross-section diagram of the military line of Fort Erie is shown at the top of the plan. The plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications. Written in the top right corner is: “G. M. No. 41 1794”.
    • Plan of the Ground on the West Side the Entrance of Niagara River Exhibiting the Reservations for Military Purposes

      1796
      Historic map showing the boundary of the military reserve in Niagara-on-the-Lake with north oriented to the bottom. Fort George is shown with buildings (planned or built), the presence of a marsh, and the relief of the area is indicated with shading. One section of texts reads: “This Reserve is bounded by the SE. Front of the Town to the Extent of 1400 Yards from the Summit of the Bank of the River. Then by a Line perpendicular to the said Front running S 55°E until it intersects the South Boundary being a Line due West from the River at the Distance of 1200 Yards from the High Land above Navy Hall.” Another piece of land is shown with boundary lines, within which the following text was written: “This Reserve is bounded on the SE by the Line of the Town to the Extent of 310 Yds: from the River; then by a Line running N 55°W until it intersects a Line due South from the River at the Distance of 400 Yds: measured on the Edge of the Bank from the Extremity of the SE Boundary.
    • Plan of the Reserve from the Chippewa to the Table Rock

      John Stegman; James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862 (1797)
      Historical map showing land adjacent to the Niagara River from the Chippewa River to Niagara Falls, and Table Rock. Roads, multiple islands and shoals are also shown. On the land adjacent to where the Chippewa River meets the Niagara River is a section of property labelled “Military Land”. Various buildings and streets are shown as well as two larger buildings labelled “Garrison” and “Fairbankshouse”. A bridge is shown crossing the Chippewa River, connecting two roads, one of which runs parallel with the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and branching off into other roadways. At various points in the roadway are latitude and longitude coordinates. More buildings along the Niagara River are labelled such as: Canby’s Mills, Burches Mills and Wilson’s house. Niagara Falls is detailed with shading. Arrows have been drawn in the river indicating the direction of the flow of water towards Niagara Falls. Handwritten text below the title reads: “Surveyed by John Stegman Deputy Surveyor, 1797 Copy J.G. Chewett Surveyor General Office 17th May 1836.” Further notations and dates are written on the map.
    • Plan: West Landing on the Niagara River – Upper Canada

      Gother Mann (1798)
      Historic plan with title text that reads as follows: “PLAN Shewing the situation and dimensions approved for Building Lots for Merchants & Traders on the King’s reserved Land near the West Landing on the Niagara River in the Province of Upper Canada 1798”. The map bears the signature of “Gother Mann, Col. Command. Grl. Engn.”
    • Plan shewing the Situation & Dimensions proposed for building Lots for Merchants & Traders on the King’s reserved Land at Fort Erie in the Province of Upper Canada

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830; James Green; Robert Prescott (1798)
      Historic plan showing a portion of Fort Erie including King’s reserved land and military Fort Erie. North is oriented to the right and the Niagara River is shown at east, but not labelled. Military Fort Erie and a store house are shown on the bank of the Niagara River. South of the fort the land is divided into lots and are identified by number or by land owners name. The plan is signed by authors: “Gother Mann Col. Commd. Rl. Engr. Quebec 30th June 1798” and “By order of the Commander in Chief (Signed) James Green (?) Secry”. The plan was also signed by Robert Prescott which marks it as being approved. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan shewing the situation & dimensions proposed for Building lots for Merchants & Traders in the Kings reserved land at Fort Chippawa in Upper Canada

      Mann, Gother, 1747-1830 (1798)
      Historic map showing the Niagara River and the mouth of Chippawa River. North is oriented to the bottom. Land at east of the Chippawa River shows the boundary of a military reserve. To the west is another military reserve with boundaries shown along with lots labelled numerically and/or with land owners names. Buildings are shown but not labeled. A bridge is shown going from the east to west across the Chippawa River. Relief is shown by hachures and shading.
    • Plan shewing the situation & dimensions proposed for building lots for merchants & traders on the Kings reserved land near the west landing on the Niagara River in the Province of Upper Canada. 1798

      Robt. Prescott (1798)
      Map date: 1798 NMC- e011198206 Scale [ca. 1:1,108] Relief shown by shading. Oriented with north to the right."H3/440 1798 Queenston"--written in ink in top right margin."Approved (signed) Robt. Prescott By order of the Commander in Chief (signed) James Green, Mil. Sec'y."Digital reproduction of map (43 x 53 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call# G 3464 Q84 G46 1798 M36 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan shewing the situation and dimensions approved for building lots for merchants and traders on the King's reserved land at Fort Chippewa in Upper Canada. 1798

      Gother Mann (1798)
      Scale [ca. 1:1,188]. "W. Hall Lt Rl Ary, [signed] Gother Mann COll Commandg Rl Engrs." Digital reproduction of map (34 x 49 cm.) in the Brock University Map, Data & GIS Library collection. Relief shown by hachures. Georeferenced and modified from Brock call # G 3464 C45 1798 P53 by Map, Data and GIS Library, Brock University.
    • Plan of Fort George Upper Canada shewing the Works of Defence ordered to be constructed in 1799

      1799
      Historic plan showing Niagara Township (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) focusing on the proposed construction of the military Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right at Lake Ontario. The location of Fort George is shown on the bank of the Niagara River. The buildings within the fort as well as some that are outside of the fort are labelled alphabetically. Corresponding reference information at the left of the plan provides further information about what each building was. Buildings on the property of the fort include: blackhouse, magazine, hospital & kitchen, office quarters & kitchen, guard house, set of block houses, storehouses and wharf. Navy Hall is also shown and is located next to “h”, a wharf. More buildings are shown along the bank of the river but are not labelled. Boundary lines are shown. At the very top of the map a small block of buildings are shown and are labelled: “Buildings for the Indian Department”. Fort Niagara is shown on the American side of the river but nothing is labelled. Plan bears the stamp of the Inspector General of Fortifications.
    • Plan showing the situation & dimensions proposed for Building Lots for Merchants and Traders on the King’s reserved Land near Fort George in the Province of Upper Canada

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830. (1802)
      Historic plan showing the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake) with a focus on the King’s reserved land near Fort George. North is oriented to the bottom right. The Niagara River is shown along the bottom of the plan. Navy Hall, a store-house and wharfs are shown on the bank of the Niagara River adjacent to the site of Fort George. On this plan only the site of Fort George is shown, not a diagram of the fort itself. Further north along the river the land is divided into lots and labelled with numbers and owner names. Military boundaries are shown along with roadways and unlabeled buildings. The plan is signed: “Submitted by Gother Mann Col. Command. R. Engr. Quebec 10th Novr. 1802.” Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan of the situation of Fort Erie with the New Works & Buildings proposed

      Gother Mann, 1747-1830| (1803)
      Historic plan showing the ruins of the original military Fort Erie and the plan for a new proposed fort. North is oriented to the right. Text beside the title reads: “Vide Report of this Date”. It is also signed by the author: “Submitted by Gother Mann Col. Command. Rl. Engr. Quebec 1st Aug’t. 1803.” Lake Erie is shown east of Fort Erie. Shown west of Lake Erie and East of the “Road to Chippeway & Falls” is the ruins of military Fort Erie, King’s Store, Merchant’s Store and a Wharf. An unlabeled roadway extends from the “Road to Chippeway & Falls” to the location of a proposed fort. Within the confines of the fort walls there are six buildings shown, which include: two barracks, quarters for officers, storehouses, magazine and a guard house. Inset at the bottom of the map is a section of the proposed works. Scales are provided for both the plan and the section. Relief is shown by shading.
    • Plan shewing the Mill Scite, prayed for by Benjamin Hardison, James Macklem and John Fanning

      William Chewett, 1753-1849. (1807)
      Historic map showing Chippawa Creek. North is oriented to the bottom. To the east is a military reserve with buildings shown but not labelled. To the west is Bridgwater Mills. The shoreline and conditions of the Niagara River (i.e. course of raft and mill race) heading towards Bridgewater Mills (Fort Erie) are drawn. McGill and Canby's Upper Boundary", a Lower Boundary and three other mill sites are noted. Relief is shown by shading.
    • A survey of the Grand River, from the north west line, to the forks about twenty miles

      Augustus Jones (1807)
      Historical map showing survey lines and the river and creeks.