Browsing Map, Data & GIS Library by Author "James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862."
Plan of the central part of the Province of Upper Canada shewing the seat of war in the years 1812, 1813, & 1814.James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862. (York [Toronto, On.], 1819)Historic map showing the Southern Ontario / Golden Horseshoe region of Upper Canada (present day Ontario. North is oriented to the top of the map. Remarks below the title include a legend indicating markings for actions, roads, causeways & bridges, by roads & paths, and mills. Political jurisdictions, roads, forts and physical features such as: The Niagara Escarpment, marches and creeks, are noted. Crown reserve land and clergy reserve for Six Nations land are marked. Some names of settlers are identified as well. Lake Erie is shown to the south. Relief is shown by shading and hachures. The map was signed by its author.
Plan Showing the Military Reserve at the Falls of Niagara Surveyed by Command of His Excellency Sir John Colborne K.C.B. Lieutenant GovernorJames G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862. (1831)Historic map showing land along the Niagara River at Niagara Falls. North is oriented to the top right. Niagara Falls is shown, divided into lots which are labelled numerically. A military reserve is shown along the bank of the water. Some buildings are shown and labelled including the Ontario base, stables and a pavilion. On the land north-west of the falls is Table Rock, Wright’s Stairs and a museum. Concession Road, the Road from Chippewa, a road to the ferry and other unlabeled roads are shown. The Niagara River at Niagara Falls is shown. Goat Island and two other unlabeled islands are shown in the river at the top of Niagara Falls. Relief is shown with shading and hachures. In the bottom right corner of the map is reference text providing further information about the lots. Granted land to Philip Bender, James Forsythe and James Elsworth is indicated shown and are indicated by lot number. Text in the top right corner of the map indicates which lots were granted to each individual and provides further information about each lot. The text was written and signed by D. W. Smith A.S.G.
Sketch Shewing part of the Town of NiagaraJames G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862. (1839)Historic sketch showing a portion of the Town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake). North is oriented to the right. Text above the title reads: “Taken from Land petitions B1 no 92 1842”. The Niagara River is shown at east and a Military Reservation at south. The town is shown in blocks broken into lots and numbered. King Street is shown bordering the lots to the south, running east to west. Three streets run from King Street north: John Street, Queen Street, and Prideaux Street. Lots 103 and 104 have the text: “Lots applied for”. Lots 65 and 66 have text: “Granted for the Market lots.” Sketch is signed by author with his initials and dated: “18th March, 1839”.