Leaflet advertising the sale of land by the Niagara River, for building a navigable canal, 1847
MetadataShow full item record
A leaflet “To Capitalists and Manufacturers with a view to the more convenient and extensive use of the unlimited water power at the Falls of Niagara, the subscriber has located a large raceway, to serve also as a navigable canal, above the great Falls…This canal, about three-fourths of a mile in length, has been surveyed, and levels taken by an experienced Engineer, who estimates the whole cost of the canal, with its appurtenances, of sufficient capacity to afford water power for at least sixty run of mill stone, within the sum of Thirty thousand dollars…The subscriber now offers to sell the right of constructing and using such a canal, and so much land as may be desired, from twenty to one hundred acres at the lower termination thereof, to any person or persons who will undertake its immediate construction. Or he will sell a less interest, retaining a part, and contributing to the improvement. Further description of the property is not deemed necessary, but any desired information will be promptly communicated; and reference is made to William A. Bird, Esq. of Black Rock, and Peter Emslie, Esq., Civil Engineer, Buffalo.” The leaflet is dated at Niagara Falls, January 1847, by Augustus Porter. The inside of the leaflet contains a map of Niagara Falls and Village, showing the location of the proposed hydraulic canal and reservoir by P. Emslie, Civil Engineer. It also shows the Niagara River, the Falls, streets and roads. The map is dated December 1846.
The following license files are associated with this item: