Browsing Sub-Series F. Sketches and Art, n.d. by Publication date
Now showing items 1-3 of 3
Drawing, St. Catharines House on February 26, 18491849A drawing done on paper 50cm x 45cm and mounted in a frame under glass. This is a drawing of a meeting held at the St. Catharines House on February 26, 1849. The drawing was done from memory by W. Osborn who has signed the picture on one of the pillars on the right hand side of the picture. The caption under the picture reads "Act 1st Scene 1st". There is some dialogue, "Woodruff - 'He says gentlemen, my son holds an office under Government, of 400 pounds per year - he forgot to tell you, he sold his constituents at Cornwall' - Macdonald 'You're a liar'". The artist portrays a fight breaking out and lists the characters as Boyd , Rykert, Hobdon, Foley, The Sheriff, Woodruff, J.W.O. Clarke, McDonald, Lamb, Hamilton and Hathaway. There are some very slight wrinkles and tears in the drawing. They do not affect the drawing. [Rolland MacDonald (1810-1881) represented Cornwall in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada from 1844-1846. He was called to the bar in 1832 and set up practice in St. Catharines. The quote on the drawing concerns the constituents at Cornwall. This meeting was covered in reports in the St. Catharines Journal on: March 1, March 8, march 15 and march 22, 1849. There is also an excerpt in William Hamilton Merritt's diary noting the riot and the sketch by Osborn].
Sketch of the ship "Jane C. Woodruff"n.d.A black and white copy of a sketch of the ship "Jane C. Woodruff". This appears to have been in a scrapbook. There is a slight tear which affects the picture slightly. [The Jane C. Woodruff was a barquentine ship built in St. Catharines in 1866 by Lewis Shikeluna. The ship belonged to John Battle who was an associate of Samuel D. Woodruff. She was named in honour of Samuel and his wife, Jane Caroline. She originated as a square timber trade boat before being converted into a 3 masted schooner. She collided with the "Mary Battle" in a snow squall in Georgian Bay. The ship passed out of existence in 1902].