Retired Women Teachers of Ontario—St. Catharines branch fonds, 1970-2013.
|dc.description||The Retired Women Teachers of Ontario (RWTO) was founded in Toronto by a small group of retired women teachers known as the Rendezvous Club. This group brought together several branches in 1956 to form the Ontario Association of Superannuated Teachers (OAWST), which was changed to the RWTO in 1999. The group was initially formed in order to provide retired women teachers with the same pension that was received by their male colleagues. The group came to the realization that they would have a better chance of success if they had a larger group of supporters. As a result, new branches were formed throughout Ontario. In 1967, the government concurred that the pension should be raised, and the minimum pension level was increased to $1200 a year. The following year the Retired Teachers of Ontario was formed, representing both male and female retired teachers. This new group was now responsible for communicating and negotiating with the government concerning pension matters. However, the RWTO continued to exist with a focus on the special interests and well-being of retired women teachers. There are currently 53 branches throughout Ontario.||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||Fonds contains material about the activities of the Retired Women’s Association of Ontario—St. Catharines branch. Most of the material is photographs, annual reports, newsletters, annual programs, membership lists and meeting minutes. Some correspondence and news clippings are also included.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Women teachers -- Ontario.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Retired teachers -- Ontario.||en_US|
|dc.title||Retired Women Teachers of Ontario—St. Catharines branch fonds, 1970-2013.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.