Canadian Niagara Power Company fonds, 1901, 1925, no date.
|dc.description||The Canadian Niagara Power Company was created in 1892, in large part due to the efforts of William Birch Rankine, a businessman who pioneered the development of hydropower on both the Canadian and American shores of the Niagara River. Numerous delays and problems postponed the construction and operation of the company's powerhouse, which was formally opened on January 2, 1905. Upon opening, the powerhouse boasted the largest generators of their kind in the world, with a capacity of 10,000 electrical horsepower each. The company was acquired by FortisOntario in 2002. In 2009, the company’s water rights expired and the Canadian Niagara Powerhouse building, also known as the Rankine Generating Station, was turned over to the Niagara Parks Commission.||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||The collection consists of 26 glass plate negatives, 3 DVDs of still photographs and film footage, and 1 photograph.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Canadian Niagara Power Company||en_US|
|dc.title||Canadian Niagara Power Company fonds, 1901, 1925, no date.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.