Fonds consists of records accumulated by John S. Campbell and his brother James H. Campbell. John and James Campbell were the sons of William (d. 1906) and Margaret Campbell of St. Catharines, Ont. Fonds includes a minute book and Constitution and by-laws of the St. Catharines Garrison Club (1899, n.d.). Also included are deeds and papers relating to property at 83 York Street, St. Catharines, Ont. (1898, 1901-1902, 1905, 1907, 1912, 1929), and the Grand Central Hotel, St. Catharines, Ont. (1837, 1853, 1856, 1870-1871, 1896-1897, 1913). Three survey maps are included with the Grand Central Hotel papers. In 1913 The Grand Central Hotel and accompanying land was purchased by Peter Griffin who build an opera house / movie theatre behind the hotel. The theatre was known as Griffin's Opera House and later became the Palace Theatre. Two St. Catharines newspapers dated November 27, 1906 and May 12, 1913 are also included. John S. Campbell (1860-1950) was a graduate of the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. During his university years John began his military career first in "K" Company, Queens Own rifles and then later as Commanding Officer of the 19th Lincoln Regiment from 1906 to 1910. Upon his return to St. Catharines John Campbell served as secretary in the St. Catharines Garrison Club, a social club for military men begun in 1899. After being called to the Bar, he became a partner in the firm of Campbell and McCarron and was appointed to the bench in 1916, serving until retirement in 1934. Judge Campbell served as an alderman for several terms and was the mayor of St. Catharines in 1908 and 1909. He also served as the first chairman of the St. Catharnes Public Utilities in 1914. John S. Campbell was married to Elizabeth Oille, daughter of Jerome B. and Charlotte (St. John) Oille. The family home "Cruachan" was located at 32 Church St. The published works have been removed and placed within Special Collections stacks.

Recent Submissions