Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorAdams, Anne
dc.date.accessioned2013-10-03T18:29:02Z
dc.date.available2013-10-03T18:29:02Z
dc.date.issued2013-10-03
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/5021
dc.descriptionBrock’s Monument is owned by Parks Canada and maintained by the Niagara Parks Commission in collaboration with the Friends of Fort George and Niagara National Historic Sites. It is located in Queenston Heights Park atop the Niagara Escarpment. On March 14, 1815, Parliament passed an act to erect a monument to the memory of General Isaac Brock. A design by engineer Francis Hall was selected. He envisioned a 135 ft. tall Tuscan column, made out of stone with a winding staircase inside. By the spring of 1824, work had begun on the monument. In June of that year, the cornerstone was laid and William Lyon Mackenzie was in attendance at the ceremony. It was on October 13th, 1824 (the anniversary of Brock’s death) that 6000 people traveled to Queenston to inter the remains of Brock and Lieutenant-Colonel Macdonell. This was the second burial for both. After 3 years the tower had reached 135 feet, but there was no inscription at the base, the fence around the observation deck had not been installed and there was no statue of Brock. Hall submitted a plan to finish the statue, but he was turned down and a simple ornament was placed where the Brock statue should have been. A massive blast of gunpowder destroyed the monument in 1840. It is alleged that an American sympathizer with the Upper Canada Rebellion set off the blast. Brock and Macdonell’s bodies were reburied in the Hamilton Family Cemetery in Queenston. The present monument was rebuilt in 1853. William Thomas (designer of St. Michael’s Cathedral in Toronto) was the architect. Brock and Macdonell were once again laid to rest in separate vaults at the statue. In 1968, Brock’s Monument was declared a national historical site. In 2005, it was closed to the public due to safety concerns, but it reopened in 2010. Source: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/brocks-monument-queenston-heightsen_US
dc.description.abstract1 page of a newspaper One of the articles on this page is entitled Proposals. This article states that proposals to Commissioners Thomas Dickson, Thomas Clark and Robert Nichol will be received up until March 21, 1824 for persons wishing to submit a proposal to work on any part, or all of the Brock Monument. The job has been broken down into sections including: foundations, bases, shaft, lantern, mortar, carpenter works, iron work and plaister work. The article is from Francis Hall, engineor, Queenston and is dated February 24, 1984. The page appears to be a “classified ads” page and contains other advertisements for goods offered for sale.en_US
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesRG;471
dc.subjectCanada -- History -- War of 1812 -- Monuments -- General Isaac Brock -- William Thomas -- Francis Hall -- John Macdonellen_US
dc.titleProposal for Construction of Brock’s Monument, Queenston, newspaper fragment, 1824en_US
dc.typeOtheren_US
refterms.dateFOA2021-08-03T02:21:36Z


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Name:
Proposal for the construction ...
Size:
90.80Kb
Format:
PDF

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record