Battlefield House flyer, n.d.
|dc.description||Battlefield House was originally the home of Mary Gage, a widow who arrived in Canada with 2 children after her husband was killed in action in the American Revolution in 1777. The original house was a log cabin which was replaced by a storey and a half frame house. Col. Nelson was the next owner of the house, and in the middle of the 19th century he raised the roof to make it a 2 storey house and added a large west wing. Successive owners: the Glover, Williams and Fisher families made a few changes to the house. The last owner was D.A. Fletcher who tore down the newer, western half of the building in 1895. In 1899, Mrs. John Calder, a granddaughter of James Gage formed the Women’s Wentworth Historical Society and raised enough money to buy the Gage Farmhouse and the land around it on which the Battle of Stoney Creek was fought. In 1910 this group purchased another 13 acres of the original Crown Grant and made 17 ½ acres of parkland open to the public. The women of the Society renovated and furnished the house. They maintained the building for 63 years. It was due to them that a monument was erected above the house by the Dominion Government. The monument was unveiled on the 100th anniversary of the Battle, June 6, 1913. The house was turned over by the Historical Society to The Niagara Parks Commission on January 19th, 1962. Source: Battlefield House Flyer, information provided by Mrs. E.B. Thompson, past president of the Women’s Wentworth Historical Society.||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||1 double-sided information sheet entitled “Battlefield House, Stoney Creek, Ontario” which contains information on Battlefield House and its origins.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Niagara Parks Commission -- Historic buildings -- Stoney Creek (Hamilton Ont.) -- Women's Wentworth Historical Society||en_US|
|dc.title||Battlefield House flyer, n.d.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.