|dc.description||Henry Haight Collier, was born in Howard, Steuben County, N. Y., November 28, 1818. His father, Richard Collier, was from Green County, in the same State. His grandfather, Isaac Collier, and his great-grandfather were originally from England. His mother, Mary Haight, was of Dutch origin.
In 1835, Henry went to St. Catharines, where his elder brother, Richard Collier, resided. He spent two years at Grantham Academy, and then returned to Steuben County, to read law in Bath, with Edward Howell, and subsequently with Hammond and Campbell. Mr. Collier never opened a law office. He studied law for two years and in 1839 he went to Texas where he was connected with the State and Treasury Departments.
In 1845 Mr. Collier returned to St. Catharines and opened a general store called St. Catharines Agricultural Works with his brother. The store remained open until May, 1877. He added the manufacturing of lumber in 1850, and manufacturing of agricultural implements in 1869. He built one of the first saw mills on the canal, on Lock No. 5, in St. Catharines.
In July, 1877, he was appointed Collector of Customs. He became a Village Councilor for St. Paul’s Ward in 1859, and held that office from fifteen to twenty years. He was Deputy Reeve and member of the County Council for two terms. He was the Mayor of St. Catharines in 1872 and 1873. He was also Chairman of the Board of Water Commissioners of the city, during the time that the works were being built. He was a Justice of the Peace for twenty years or more.
Mr. Collier was affiliated with the Reform Party and he was a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity and an Odd Fellow. He was also active in the Methodist Church.
On June 1, 1858, he married Cornelia, daughter of Moses Cook, of "Westchester Place," St. Catharines, and had a daughter and son. Mary J. (married name: Mrs. Frank Camp) was a graduate of the Female Seminary at Hamilton, and Henry Herbert was a student in the University of Toronto.
Henry H. Collier died on July 15, 1895 and is buried in Victoria Lawn Cemetery, St. Catharines, Ontario.
"Historical Profiles from Victoria Lawn Cemetery" by Paul E. Lewis
"Sincerely Lamented St. Catharines Obituaries 1817-1918" by Paul Hutchison||en_US
|dc.description.abstract||1 double-sided handwritten letter addressed to Henry H. Collier, Bath, Steuben Co. N.Y. and dated May 28, 1837. There is a St. Catharines postmark which is barely visible. In the centre of the postmark, someone has written May 30/37 in ink. The letter is signed by Richard Collier who could have been the father or the brother of the recipient. In the letter, the writer says that he has sent $30 which will pay the recipient’s board. He has also sent $10 more and will continue to send money. He speaks of Sabbath School and mentions a Mr. Ryerson who preached at a missionary meeting. The writer seems concerned about the food that the recipient is eating and he advises Mr. Collier to make no sacrifices of his health.||en_US