Image of Niagara Falls n.d.
|dc.description||In 1818 Parkhurst Whitney built stairs leading to the river’s edge at Prospect Point. In 1825 Porter Brother replaced that staircase with a spiral one. In 1844 Whitney started a water powered incline railway there although the staircase was also used until 1890. In 1906 the water wheel was replaced by an electric power plant. There were lower buildings which included Shadow of the Rock which was a concession stand and also rented raincoats to the tourists. This was destroyed by fire and ice in 1892 and replaced by a chalet-style building in 1894-95. On July 6th, 1907 a cable on the incline railway broke. One person was killed and several sustained injuries. An elevator was constructed and it opened in January of 1910. It was condemned in 1954 when water entered the shaft, this was at the time of the collapse of Prospect Point which occurred at 4:50 pm. on July 28, 1954. This photograph was taken prior to 1954. Today the New York State Observation Tower stands at Prospect Point and The Maid of the Mist boat ride is available from the base of the tower. with information from: Niagara Falls Canada: a History by the Kiwanis Club of Stamford, Ontario||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||1 7 ¾ x 5” sepia photograph of Niagara Falls, featuring (left to right) Prospect Point, the American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Niagara Falls, Ontario -- Niagara Falls, New York -- Pictoral works||en_US|
|dc.title||Image of Niagara Falls n.d.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.