Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. Commemorative stamps, 1981.
|dc.description||Niagara-on-the-Lake was originally known as Butlersburg, after Colonel John Butler, the commander of Butler's Rangers. This military corps served in British North America until 1784. At that time, the general forces of the British Army in North America were significantly reduced. In 1781, the town received official status. It became known as Newark, then Niagara, and subsequently Niagara-on-the-Lake in order to distinguish itself from Niagara Falls. It is historically significant as the original capital of Upper Canada and is a popular tourist destination.||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||Two sheets of Canadian commemorative stamps marking the bicentennial of the Town of Niagara-on-the Lake, 1781-1981.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Commemorative postage stamps--Canada.||en_US|
|dc.title||Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. Commemorative stamps, 1981.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.