|dc.description.abstract||The Military Monitor was a weekly periodical that was published every Monday. The first issue was printed for August 17, 1812 and is believed to have ceased in 1814, as the last issue located was April 2, 1814. The periodical was suspended with the November 23, 1812 issue and resumed with the December 14, 1812 issue. The quote at the top of the first page is "The public good our end". The periodical's various authors included:
Desnoues, Joseph, 1794?-1837.
O'Connor, Thomas, 1770-1855.
Hardcastle, John, 1778?-1835.
Van Pelt, Peter, 1779?-1843.
Van Riper, Nicholas.
Other authors are believed to be the American Antiquarian Society.
Proprietors: T. O'Connor and S. Wall, 1812; T. O'Connor, 1812- .
Printers: Hardcastle and Van Pelt, for T. O'Connor and S. Wall, Sept. 14-Oct. 5, 1812; J. Desnoues, Oct. 12, 1812- ; N. Van Riper, Nov. 6, 1813- .
This issue was included in a bound volume of the Military Monitor and American Register.||
|dc.description.abstract||Contains a brief entry on an attack by the Americans (p. 127). It is written
that “about 300 soldiers and sailors crossed the Niagara, took two batteries, spiked the cannon
and returned. The success attending these partial invasions are so many proofs that, if well
supported, a serious impression might be made on the enemy’s country. It is generally
supposed that the reluctancy of the militia to cross the line, is to be attributed, that the
intended invasion has not hitherto taken place, and that operations must, from the lateness of
the season, be suspended…until spring, when it must be attempted by a very superior force, or
not at all”.||