Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorWilliams, Edie
dc.descriptionRidley College was conceived in 1888 by a group of Anglican clergy and laymen eager to establish a school for boys in Ontario that emphasized strong academic and religious values. The school was originally known as Bishop Ridley College, in tribute to Nicholas Ridley, a 16th century English churchman who was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for refusing to renounce his Anglican faith. The first facility was the stately and spacious Springbank Sanatorium; shortly thereafter, construction was begun across the old Welland Canal on a lower school for boys age 5 to 13 on the present-day campus site. The name “Springbank” stems from the name of the hotel constructed in 1864 by Dr. Theophilus Mack on Yates Street. Fortuitously, the directors of what would become Ridley College were looking to found a new boys’ school. The sale of the building was completed in 1888 and Ridley began operations in September 1889. In October 1903, the Springbank building complex was consumed by fire forcing the school to move across the canal to its modern western campus. The Ridley campus grew dramatically during the 1920's, and new buildings and facilities were added in each of the following decades. The school became co-educational in 1973; just over a dozen girls enrolled in the inaugural year, while today almost half of Ridley's students are girls. Adapted from: (March 22, 2011)en_US
dc.description.abstractPapers include various programs and promotional items related to Ridley College, St. Catharines, Ontario.en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries;RG 332
dc.subjectRidley Collegeen_US
dc.subjectIggulden, Andrew C.en_US
dc.subjectCronyn, Terenceen_US
dc.titleRidley College papers, 1983, 1985-1986, 1989-1990en_US

Files in this item

Ridley College papers RG 332.pdf
Ridley College papers

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fonds and collections available at the Brock University Archives & Special Collections

Show simple item record