Lincoln County -- History
Lincloln County Historical Council
Niagara Regional Historical Council
Niagara Township -- History
Gainsborough Township -- History
Survey of historical landmarks
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFonds consists of correspondence, minutes, photographs with negatives, surveys of historical buildings of interest, and a scrapbook of the Niagara Regional Historical Council and its predecessor, the Lincoln County Historical Council.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Plan Shewing the Survey of the Military Reserve at Niagara, 1831James G. (James Grant) Chewett, 1793-1862; (1831)Historic map of military reserve land in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Lake Ontario and the Niagara River are shown at the north side of the land. The map shows lots, some of which are labelled by lot number, size or landowner name. Some lots are unlabelled. Some streets are named. Buildings and military yards are shown, such as: hospital, Navy Hall, fuel yard, engineers yard and guard house. Fort George and Fort Mississauga are both located at the north side of the town close to the bodies of water. There are three portions of land labelled A, B, C. Reference text indicates these portions are reserved for military purposes. Further text next to the reference information reads as follows: “Surveyed by Order of His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor Reserve exchanged for Land at Missisauga [sic] Fort”. Relief is shown in shading.
No. V, Upper Canada Plan of NiagaraA. Gray; Sir James Kempt, 1764-1854 (Quebec : Q.M. Genls Office, 1810)Historic map showing the town of Niagara (present day Niagara-on-the-Lake), Fort George, and Fort Niagara, with Lake Ontario shown in the north and the Niagara River in the east. Handwritten text reads: “by A. Gray, Asst. Qr. Mr. Genl. Quebec 20eth Novr. 1810. This Plan is from a Trigonometrical Survey by Lieut: Gray [Sgd] Q.M. Genls Office Quebec 1st June 1811 James Kempt Q. M. Genl N. America.” The Latitude and Longitude of Fort George as well as a legend are written on the map. The map shows buildings in the town, some of which are named, including: Presbyterian Church, John Seacord’s (sic) Farm, Col. Butler’s property, an English Church and burying ground, a courthouse and prison, Indian Council House and various Inn’s. Buildings, work yards and military buildings are shown along the Niagara river. Trees, forested areas, roads, creeks and rivers are shown, most of which are not labelled. Relief is shown in shading.
Fort Erie, Bertie, plan of Military ReserveW. T. Renwick; Anthony Reynolds Vyvian Crease (1852)Historical map created for the Buffalo Railroad Company in 1852 to outline a proposed new railroad in Fort Erie, which would cut through military reserve land. Text below the title reads: “Land applied for by the Brantford & Buffalo Railroad Company coloured yellow and green 2368 feet in length. Line of proposed railroad marked in yellow across the reserve. Part coloured green applied for by Mr. Thomson for the purposes of extending his mill race & other improvements."