A. S. Whiting Manufacturing Company Limited, minute book, 1872-1909.
|dc.description||The Cedar Dale Scythe Works was the second manufacturing company that A.S. Whiting had established in Oshawa, the first being the Oshawa Manufacturing Co. in 1852. The Oshawa Manufacturing Co. was eventually taken over by the Joseph Hall Works in 1857. In 1862, the Cedar Dale Works was built after being in a rented space in the Hall Works for two years, building scythes and hoes. With the building of the firm, the village of Cedar Dale was established. In 1867, the firm became Whiting and Cowan when John Cowan bought into the company. After the death of Whiting in 1867, his son-in-law, R.S. Hamlin headed the company. By 1872, it became the A.S. Whiting Manufacturing Co. when Cowan withdrew from the business. Before Whiting’s death, the company had been profitable but due to new machinery being developed, hand tools were becoming obsolete and the business only lasted for a few more years (source: Oshawa Community Museum and Archives Web site).||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||Item is a minute book of the A. S. Whiting Manufacturing Company, located in Cedar Dale, Ontario (now part of the City of Oshawa). Entries date from 1872 to 1909. Entries include lists of shareholders, by-laws, balance sheets, minutes, and stock transfer papers.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Cedar Dale, Ont.||en_US|
|dc.title||A. S. Whiting Manufacturing Company Limited, minute book, 1872-1909.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.