Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned2009-08-14T17:26:33Z
dc.date.available2009-08-14T17:26:33Z
dc.date.issued2009-08-14T17:26:33Z
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10464/2708
dc.descriptionThe St. Catharines and District Council of Women was founded in 1918 and elected as its first president, Mary Malcolmson. In 1910 Mrs. Malcolmson founded North America’s first Girl Guide Association in St. Catharines. The aim of the organization was to work for the betterment of conditions pertaining to the family, community and state. The Council is an umbrella group for various women’s organizations in the area and functions at the provincial, national and international levels and is associated with the United Nations. In the early years the National Council brought in the Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) and started the Women’s Canadian Club. The St. Catharines Council initiated Child Welfare Centres in local churches that grew into the Well Baby Clinics. Women were encouraged to take political office and join committees with much success. In 1929, “Shop at Home” exhibition became an annual event highlighting the services of local merchants. Money raised by the Council was donated to local charities and in 1930 the Council assisted the local Armenian community in building the first Armenian Church in Canada. In 1932 the Council started the Maternal Welfare programme in which Mothers’ Meetings were held weekly with various speakers from the Public Health Department. In 1975 to celebrate International Women’s Year and the 1976 Centennial of the City of St. Catharines, the group sponsored the book Women of Action, 1876-1976, written by two of its members, Lily M. Bell and Kathleen E. Bray. Some time after 1976 the name of the organization changed from St. Catharines Local Council of Women to St. Catharines and District Council of Women. Today the organization functions as an advocacy and educational group.
dc.description.abstractA collection of records associated with the St. Catharines Local Council of Women including correspondence, meeting minutes, membership lists, clippings, newsletters, photos, biographies and organizational history from 1918 to 2011.
dc.language.isoenen
dc.titleNiagara District Council of Women fonds, 1918-2022, n.d.en
refterms.dateFOA2021-07-31T01:55:41Z


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Name:
Niagara District Council of Women ...
Size:
238.8Kb
Format:
PDF

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • 1. Archival Finding Aids
    These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.

Show simple item record