Mack Training School for Nurses collection, 1949-2017, n.d.
|The Mack Training School for Nurses was a hospital-based school at the St. Catharines General Hospital. It was founded by Dr. Theophilus Mack in 1873 at the St. Catharines General and Marine Hospital, which later became the St. Catharines General Hospital. Students were recruited from Florence Nightingale’s school in England and Dr. Mack’s nursing school became the first in North America following the Nightingale system. The two-year program focused on practical nursing in the hospital, with each student trained by a qualified nurse. In 1879 diplomas were granted to the first graduates of the school. In 1967 steps were taken towards the establishment of the Mack School of Nursing. The School was affiliated with the Regional Schools of Nursing and operated under the Ministry of Health. In 1969 the last class graduated from the Mack Training School for Nurses and in 1970 the first class graduated from the Mack School of Nursing. In 1974 training for nurses became part of the college system and the Mack School for Nurses was closed.
|The collection consists mostly of yearbooks for the Mack Training School for Nurses, titled “Mack Data”. Other materials include a graduation program, alumnae association booklet, a centennial program, and a book titled The Spirit of Mack, published for the school’s centennial.
|CC0 1.0 Universal
|Mack Training School for Nurses
|Mack School of Nursing
|Dr. Theophilus Mack
|St. Catharines General Hospital
|Mack Training School for Nurses collection, 1949-2017, n.d.
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fonds and collections available at the Brock University Archives & Special Collections