AbstractPlease note: This item contains imagery that reflects the time period when it was created and the view of its creator(s). This can include offensive and negative language, references, and stereotypes that are no longer used or appropriate today. The item(s) retain their original content to ensure that attitudes and viewpoints are not erased from the historical record. The Archives & Special Collections are actively working on including more respectful and representative language in our own descriptions now and into the future.
A Photo album, c. 1905-1920, containing 96 small black and white photographs featuring local residents, businesses, farms, churches, and houses, including the Fenwick Railway Station; the Alexander [Alexandra] Bridge in Welland; O’Reilly’s Bridge; the brink of Niagara Falls; P.J. Gracey’s Store; Steward Carriage Works in Wellandport; a shingle factory; Sutherland’s Gingerette; Wainfleet S.S. #8/Beckett’s Bridge School; military camp labeled “Tent Med 1908”; boaters in Chippewa Creek; Hamilton; the Port Colborne Elevator; Hewitt’s Post Office and Store; and the Town of Wellandport. A picture of two men in blackface wearing suits and hats, with one man holding a banjo, is also included. Enclosed in the pages of the album is a postcard of men and women picking berries in a berry patch.