AbstractSeven stereo cards of St. Catharines from c.1865 to c.1885. Five of the stereo cards were by taken by G.F. Maitland, c.1871 and include three men along the high ground above the Welland Canal with industrial buildings that were part of the Norris Wharf and Mills; a treelined streetscape of St. Paul Crescent in St. Catharines showing the Welland canal headquarters; the corner of Ontario and St. Paul Streets showing G.F. Maitland’s portrait studio, John Nay and Company’s Wines, the International Order of Odd Fellows Hall, and the Masonic Temple ; a view looking east down St. Paul Street showing J.T. See’s portrait studio and J.R.Reilly’s boot and shoe store; and St. Catharines Wheel Works along the Welland Canal, with the schooner D.M. Foster docked in front of the factory. A stereo card from Miller’s Photograph Saloon shows an overview of downtown St. Catharines from Church Street, c.1865. It was taken from the steeple at St. George’s Anglican Church and shows the courthouse and Welland House spa. The last stereo card shows a train crash, possibly from the Niagara area. A derailed train is in a body of water with a crowd gathered around the wreck. This photo was taken by Edwin Poole, c.1885.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons