Merritton Fire Department fonds, 1888-1974, n.d.
|dc.description||Merritton, Ont. was incorporated as a village in 1874. The Merritton Fire Department was established 14 years later on August 17, 1888, with Mr. A.R. Thompson as President and Richard Clark as Captain. The fire department became a unit of the St. Catharines Fire Department in 1961, when Merritton amalgamated with St. Catharines, Grantham and Port Dalhousie. The Merritton unit served the community until they disbanded in 1977. In 2017, a cenotaph was unveiled at the Merritton Town Hall that pays tribute to the Department.||en_US|
|dc.description.abstract||The fonds contains information about the activities of the Merritton Fire Department. The bulk of the collection consists of minute books. Other materials include committee reports, fire reports, member accounts books, and administrative papers including correspondence and financial documents.||en_US|
|dc.rights||CC0 1.0 Universal||*|
|dc.subject||Merritton (Ont.). Fire Department -- Records and correspondence.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Fire departments -- Ontario -- Merritton -- History -- Sources.||en_US|
|dc.subject||Merritton (Ont.) -- History -- Sources.||en_US|
|dc.title||Merritton Fire Department fonds, 1888-1974, n.d.||en_US|
Files in this item
This item appears in the following Collection(s)
1. Archival Finding Aids
These finding aids are meant to help researchers find information in the fond available at The Brock University Special Collections and Archives.